Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 10:48 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,033,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post

BS. Everyone watching the daily show knew it was simply informative comedy.
Frankly, it wasn't (and isn't) a source of useful information, and wasn't and isn't comedy. It's mostly verbal drivel delivered by sub "C" list "talent." How you could have been fooled into thinking otherwise is simply beyond human understanding.

If you were to have said that The Daily Show was merely a vapid vehicle for the propagating and delivering the usual shop-soiled liberal tropes, I could have given you credit for at least understanding the nature of the presentation. Yet, even in this uncomplicated analysis, you failed, for reasons you have yet to adequately explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 10:53 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
And who's going to work there? Billy Bob Bubba and his cousins?

There aren't enough smart, educated people who are willing to live in red states. It's just that simple.
A. That is not necessarily true.

B. There is no such thing as a purely red or purely blue state. All states have enclaves of both.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:57 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Well, he's a leftist hack who actually at times, rips on the left.
He's the left's version of "South Park" (the creators are libertarians, you know), meaning nobody is off-limits, and no cow is sacred. You have to be able to laugh at yourself to enjoy it.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:58 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
Bill Maher is a classless clown, but I'm not going to pretend to be offended over this.

No, we don't want to be like you, Bill.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:08 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post

Who cares? I really don't care if someone calls me a "redneck". As a result of being a "redneck", I get to enjoy beautiful hikes and scenery just 10 minutes from my house.

To each his own, however, I really could not stand to live in an congested urban environment, as I would rather be doing things outdoors, like hiking, rafting, and just enjoying the scenery. Larger cities are nice to visit for a short period of time to check out some museums or plays, but it would get old very quickly.

The more people have contempt for pretty areas, the less likely they are to live there, which is fine by me.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:52 PM

2,072 posts, read 889,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
If your contention is true, then how do you account for the large scale exodus from California to Texas? If these enlightened coastal folks are so averse to living in a red state, then why would so many of them be voluntarily leaving the blue state paradise of California?

The people leaving tend to be relatively poor, and many lack college degrees.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/ca...136478098.html

Old 02-25-2019, 03:00 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Who cares? I really don't care if someone calls me a "redneck". As a result of being a "redneck", I get to enjoy beautiful hikes and scenery just 10 minutes from my house.

To each his own, however, I really could not stand to live in an congested urban environment, as I would rather be doing things outdoors, like hiking, rafting, and just enjoying the scenery. Larger cities are nice to visit for a short period of time to check out some museums or plays, but it would get old very quickly.

The more people have contempt for pretty areas, the less likely they are to live there, which is fine by me.
What’s funny about that is I feel exactly the opposite. Scenery is fine for a while, but I always feel better in a city. I live in the foothills of the Cascade mountains. I moved here from the shore of Lake Superior. It’s kinda “meh” for me. If I had my choice, I’d be back in Minneapolis or in Chicago. I draw energy from the city, that’s the only way I can explain it.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
What’s funny about that is I feel exactly the opposite. Scenery is fine for a while, but I always feel better in a city. I live in the foothills of the Cascade mountains. I moved here from the shore of Lake Superior. It’s kinda “meh” for me. If I had my choice, I’d be back in Minneapolis or in Chicago. I draw energy from the city, that’s the only way I can explain it.
You don't have to explain it since the entire Enlightenment of Mankind is pretty much centered around that particular energy.

But there is no contest or right or wrong. For the mass of people in this and other industrialized countries the experiences that come with being around others trump watching the grass grow. I say that as someone who lived with an outhouse and no running water in the hills for 3 years.

My current main abode is within 15 minutes of an Apple Store (Trader Joes, etc.) and yet we have 800 lb black bear, fox, deer and even the occasional moose in the backyard (butts against conservation land).

Every Man (and woman) a King/Queen. I love it.

I would never call anyone a hick or a redneck since I've had plenty of direct experience. I usually call them friends....or, in a lot of cases, teachers since they often showed me how to do things.

But we don't really have hicks in W. Mass anyway. Some "hill people", but no hicks. That couple doing organic farming up the valley is just as likely to have 8 years of college and grad school at Harvard as not (I'm the NOT).....

In short, I love everyone. But, unlike Trump, I want the "uneducated" to have the opportunity to become as educated as they desire. This is not the case in many areas of the country...that is, it's more difficult to do so.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:17 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Everyday huh?
Pretty much, yes. Stories bashing rural America are an NYT staple. References to Emmitt Till alone have appeared more than once a week on average since the beginning of 2018. The young black man, murdered by racist white Southerners in 1955, was mentioned in an NYT article 72 times last year, and at least twice in the past week.

Forget about Jussie Smollett's Fake Noose Lynching, the NYT has just gotten word of stunning late-breaking news: Emmett Till has been lynched!, by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review

NYT: Hey, did we mention Emmett Till lately?, by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review

Old 02-25-2019, 05:24 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Pretty much, yes. Stories bashing rural America are an NYT staple. References to Emmitt Till alone have appeared more than once a week on average since the beginning of 2018. The young black man, murdered by racist white Southerners in 1955, was mentioned in an NYT article 72 times last year, and at least twice in the past week.

Forget about Jussie Smollett's Fake Noose Lynching, the NYT has just gotten word of stunning late-breaking news: Emmett Till has been lynched!, by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review

NYT: Hey, did we mention Emmett Till lately?, by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review
How is that “bashing” rural America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies