Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 12:11 PM

83 posts, read 57,728 times

Advertisements

For the longest time women were just given a slap on the wrist for crimes that men were given many years for, yet recently I have read a bunch of articles where women are getting 10+ years. A good example are the female teachers having sex with students who would get probation or just a few years at most but the last few ones I have read the teachers are getting a decade or more.

Recently a woman was given 24 years for lots of break ins and stealing packages. Equality, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 01:13 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
For the longest time women were just given a slap on the wrist for crimes that men were given many years for, yet recently I have read a bunch of articles where women are getting 10+ years. A good example are the female teachers having sex with students who would get probation or just a few years at most but the last few ones I have read the teachers are getting a decade or more.

Recently a woman was given 24 years for lots of break ins and stealing packages. Equality, right?
I have no idea. Dont really keep up with sentencing. Have there been any recent studies that would suggest this?

Old 02-25-2019, 01:15 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:

I have noticed that as well. Women usually do get lighter sentences for the same crimes.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:44 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
I’ve noticed the opposite when working in corrections. It also depended on the county the inmate was from.

In any given county, a guy with lets say drug charges, would get probation first time, probation, second time, pti third time, pti fourth time, incarceration fifth.

In that same county, a woman would get probation or pti first time and incarceration second time.

We had one county I noticed everyone got tougher sentences. Men may have been given one pti and second time incarceration. Whereas that county, as a woman, first time maximum sentence allowed.

It was my job to review each case which included their pre sentence investigation reports prior to release in order to see if there could possibly be any outstanding wants or warrants.

I had many that I told to find a new line of work other than crime. They just weren’t good at it.

I also found in those places that gave harsher penalties, the recidivism was less.

When you review those records and are around inmates for that much time, you start to notice nuances, patterns, and trends. You just can’t help it.

Let me follow this up with I can only speak for NJ. No clue if other states were more lenient on women.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:06 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Quote:

Yes. If a woman commits similar crimes to a man, unless she did it under duress or had some mental condition, she should serve the same sentence as he does. I wonder who an SJW feminist and nagging mother-in-law would respond to that.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I’ve noticed the opposite when working in corrections. It also depended on the county the inmate was from.

In any given county, a guy with lets say drug charges, would get probation first time, probation, second time, pti third time, pti fourth time, incarceration fifth.

In that same county, a woman would get probation or pti first time and incarceration second time.

We had one county I noticed everyone got tougher sentences. Men may have been given one pti and second time incarceration. Whereas that county, as a woman, first time maximum sentence allowed.

It was my job to review each case which included their pre sentence investigation reports prior to release in order to see if there could possibly be any outstanding wants or warrants.

I had many that I told to find a new line of work other than crime. They just weren’t good at it.

I also found in those places that gave harsher penalties, the recidivism was less.

When you review those records and are around inmates for that much time, you start to notice nuances, patterns, and trends. You just can’t help it.

Let me follow this up with I can only speak for NJ. No clue if other states were more lenient on women.
Did you find any correlation between sentencing differences and justices or would each county have one particular judge that would account for the differences?

Old 02-26-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Yes. If a woman commits similar crimes to a man, unless she did it under duress or had some mental condition, she should serve the same sentence as he does. I wonder who an SJW feminist and nagging mother-in-law would respond to that.
As I understand it, sentencing is at the will of the judge. It is not a strict standard or law having one sentence for men and one for women. The majority of justices are men. How do you propose to stifle human bias?
I remember when a friend worked as a wildlife officer. In one particular county the judge told all the officers if they were in his courtroom and the defendant was an attractive, well endowed woman he would rule in her favor every time regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies