Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 09:29 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
exactly the response I expected...
What about the response is an issue for you?

Why do facts bother you?

How do you know what the temp is yesterday? How can you be sure?

Old 03-08-2019, 05:46 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Talking points - nah those points I showed you were based off the scientific papers behind the graph you cited. Nice deflection once again!
Most definitely not. I'll even refer to another data point posted by another poster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The new results from the NEEM ice core drilling project in northwest Greenland, led by the Niels Bohr Institute at the University of Copenhagen show that the climate in Greenland was around 8 degrees C warmer than today during the last interglacial period, the Eemian period, 130,000 to 115,000 thousand years ago.

[emphasis mine]

https://www.nbi.ku.dk/english/news/n...e-of-the-past/

Note that 8°C is 14.4°F.

That's because average global temperatures were 73.7°F, not the current 58.4°F.

Also, note that CO2 levels during the last Inter-Glacial peaked at 287 ppm CO2.
As some of us have been trying to repeatedly tell you, scientific facts prove that CO2 levels are NOT correlated with either global warming or climate change. Get a f'ing clue. /SMH

Last edited by InformedConsent; 03-08-2019 at 05:57 AM..

Old 03-08-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
30 years ago...climate scientists said we only had 10 years left
..AOC says we have 12

they really need to stop making weather predictions....
Exactly. They're no better than snake oil salesmen.

Quote:
June 29, 1989

UNITED NATIONS (AP) _ A senior U.N. environmental official says entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000.

Coastal flooding and crop failures would create an exodus of ″eco- refugees,′ ′ threatening political chaos, said Noel Brown, director of the New York office of the U.N. Environment Program, or UNEP.

He said governments have a 10-year window of opportunity to solve the greenhouse effect before it goes beyond human control.

As the warming melts polar icecaps, ocean levels will rise by up to three feet, enough to cover the Maldives and other flat island nations, Brown told The Associated Press in an interview on Wednesday.

Coastal regions will be inundated; one-sixth of Bangladesh could be flooded, displacing a fourth of its 90 million people. A fifth of Egypt’s arable land in the Nile Delta would be flooded, cutting off its food supply, according to a joint UNEP and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency study.

″Ecological refugees will become a major concern, and what’s worse is you may find that people can move to drier ground, but the soils and the natural resources may not support life. Africa doesn’t have to worry about land, but would you want to live in the Sahara?″ he said.

https://www.apnews.com/bd45c372caf118ec99964ea547880cd0

Old 03-08-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
In what universe is YouTube considered to be a scientific publication?
Give them a break. Childish cartoons are the highest level of information dissemination they can understand.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:03 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Sigma 5 projected 3.5 million times of repeated experiments to a planet 4.5 + billion years old?
Same type of experiment to prove or disprove the God Particle. Sorry ain't buying it.
The earth's axis have shifted.....................look into that......as a problem.......
I still would not put trust into any banking institution promising guarantees upwards of Sigma 7.
I can prove to you 1+1 does not equal 2.
Not modifying axioms, withstanding, it all boils down to humans inability to assume the truth
truth=Truth.............

It is not about the mathematics......its about tuning in with the planet. It is alive as are we.
It knows when we are sick and will heal and we know when it is sick and will heal......

The Native Indians had it right. The earth is a living entity that maintains life. When all the animals have been hunted,
all the trees cut down, waters are polluted and you can't breathe the air, only then you will realize you cannot eat money. - Cree Prophesy......
You people crack me up! "Living entity"!! Where is the brain? Where's the lungs? OMG

Our schools have really screwed your minds up. LOL!

Old 03-08-2019, 10:12 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Most definitely not. I'll even refer to another data point posted by another poster...
As some of us have been trying to repeatedly tell you, scientific facts prove that CO2 levels are NOT correlated with either global warming or climate change. Get a f'ing clue. /SMH
I have got plenty of clues thank you. Why can't you deal with the info I presented showing correlation instead of just repeating your mantra? Have you read what the person said who made those graphs regarding correlation - NO you have not because they disagree with you. There is a correlation between CO2 and warming.

And I answered your 'other data point' in the other thread I'll repeat:

You forgot part of your highlight:

...the climate in Greenland was around 8 degrees C warmer than today during the last interglacial period...

Then you act like the AVERAGE GLOBAL TEMPT of 58.4 today is so much colder than the average Global temp of Eemian when it is the LOCAL temp of Greenland during the Eemian.

The average Global temp of that period was 1-2C higher.

Furthermore, from your paper what happened to the thickness of the Greenland Ice Sheet as a result of this warming?

Between 128,000 and 122,000 years ago, the thickness of the northwest Greenland ice sheet decreased by around 400 metres, reaching surface elevations 122,000 years ago of 130 metres lower than the present. Extensive surface melt occurred at the NEEM site during the Eemian, a phenomenon witnessed when melt layers formed again at NEEM during the exceptional heat of July 2012. With additional warming, surface melt might become more common in the future.

You think that is where we might be headed?

So to answer your question: Why is it so damn cold during this Inter-Glacial? It really is not so much colder BUT even if it was as I noted earlier in the videos, that you don't watch of course, CO2 precedes tempts. And since CO2 has gone up (by approx. 100ppm) rapidly in a relatively short time you would think that the rise in tempt of 1-2C will follow. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eemian...ide_400kyr.png

http://www.johnenglander.net/wp/wp-c...aph-metric.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eemian...alaeotemps.svg

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/362/6421/1339

Some 125,000 years ago, during the last brief warm period between ice ages, Earth was flooded, with sea levels 6 to 9 meters higher than they are today. Temperatures during this time, called the Eemian, were barely higher than in today's greenhouse-warmed world. Scientists have now identified the source of all that water: a collapse of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. Glaciologists worry about the present-day stability of this formidable ice mass. Its base lies below sea level, at risk of being undermined by warming ocean waters, and glaciers fringing it are retreating fast. The discovery, teased out of a sediment core and reported at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union in Washington, D.C., provides evidence that the ice sheet disappeared in the recent geological past under climate conditions similar to today's. The Eemian is not a perfect analog, as its sea levels were likely driven by slight changes in Earth's orbit and spin axis. But the work, if it holds up, could suggest the recent melt at the ice sheet is the start of a similar collapse, rather than a short-term variation.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:30 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I have got plenty of clues thank you. Why can't you deal with the info I presented showing correlation instead of just repeating your mantra? Have you read what the person said who made those graphs regarding correlation - NO you have not because they disagree with you. There is a correlation between CO2 and warming.

And I answered your 'other data point' in the other thread I'll repeat:

You forgot part of your highlight:

...the climate in Greenland was around 8 degrees C warmer than today during the last interglacial period...

Then you act like the AVERAGE GLOBAL TEMPT of 58.4 today is so much colder than the average Global temp of Eemian when it is the LOCAL temp of Greenland during the Eemian.

The average Global temp of that period was 1-2C higher.

Furthermore, from your paper what happened to the thickness of the Greenland Ice Sheet as a result of this warming?

Between 128,000 and 122,000 years ago, the thickness of the northwest Greenland ice sheet decreased by around 400 metres, reaching surface elevations 122,000 years ago of 130 metres lower than the present. Extensive surface melt occurred at the NEEM site during the Eemian, a phenomenon witnessed when melt layers formed again at NEEM during the exceptional heat of July 2012. With additional warming, surface melt might become more common in the future.

You think that is where we might be headed?

So to answer your question: Why is it so damn cold during this Inter-Glacial? It really is not so much colder BUT even if it was as I noted earlier in the videos, that you don't watch of course, CO2 precedes tempts. And since CO2 has gone up (by approx. 100ppm) rapidly in a relatively short time you would think that the rise in tempt of 1-2C will follow. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eemian...ide_400kyr.png

http://www.johnenglander.net/wp/wp-c...aph-metric.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eemian...alaeotemps.svg

Antarctic ice melt 125,000 years ago offers warning | Science

Some 125,000 years ago, during the last brief warm period between ice ages, Earth was flooded, with sea levels 6 to 9 meters higher than they are today. Temperatures during this time, called the Eemian, were barely higher than in today's greenhouse-warmed world. Scientists have now identified the source of all that water: a collapse of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. Glaciologists worry about the present-day stability of this formidable ice mass. Its base lies below sea level, at risk of being undermined by warming ocean waters, and glaciers fringing it are retreating fast. The discovery, teased out of a sediment core and reported at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union in Washington, D.C., provides evidence that the ice sheet disappeared in the recent geological past under climate conditions similar to today's. The Eemian is not a perfect analog, as its sea levels were likely driven by slight changes in Earth's orbit and spin axis. But the work, if it holds up, could suggest the recent melt at the ice sheet is the start of a similar collapse, rather than a short-term variation.
Fascinating. Just bought a new copper firepit and have almost a cord of red oak.
In a few weeks it will be warm enough to have a fire!
Enjoy!

Old 03-08-2019, 10:30 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I think he meant the fact that the science data that shows humans are the cause of our current warming is settled.

Science is never 100% settled - science is about narrowing uncertainty. Different areas of science are understood with varying degrees of certainty.
Yes. As a scientist myself, it pains me when someone refers to a "scientific fact" or "scientifically proven". Because it causes confusion that allows someone to state "Oh evolution? That's just a theory". Then I have to explain that everything in science is a theory. The Earth is round - that's "just" a theory, but one that has so much evidence in support that no one seriously questions it.

It's similar with evolution and climate change. These are theories, but they happen to have so much evidence supporting them that very few scientists doubt that they are true, at least in general terms. A theory can never be proven beyond any doubt. Unfortunately, the average person doesn't understand that and uses it as an excuse to dismiss those theories which don't fit with their politics or worldview.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:31 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Fascinating. Just bought a new copper firepit and have almost a cord of red oak.
In a few weeks it will be warm enough to have a fire!
Enjoy!
Awesome! I like fires! Too bad you don't like facts as much!

Old 03-08-2019, 10:38 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Where did you get your PhD in atmospheric physics? Are you an experienced climatologist?

If not, then you are utterly unqualified to say what scientific "facts" prove. Your opinion is meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies