Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 02:25 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A human fetus has a heartbeat at 4 weeks. I can't fathom any mother ending it's life via an abortion unless the mother's life is in jeapordy.
A couple of things. It's not a fetus at 4 weeks, it's a blastocyst. OK, so semantics. Next, conception typically occurs about two weeks after LMP but pregnancy is counted (typical 40 weeks) from the LMP. Week 4 is implantation of the blastocyst. Week 5 things really speed up. Now, my question to you. If the zygote/embryo/fetus life is equal to a born person (the mother), then why should abortion be legal if the mother's life is in jeopardy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 03:09 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Who knows how many women died or nearly died from septic abortion from unsanitary procedures. Many decades ago a major reason abortion was banned was to protect the woman from the bad effects of abortions. These days that hardly ever happens because the importance of using sanitary procedures are well known and practiced.
Before Roe (and before that when abortion was legal in a few states) some women of means had gynecologists who would perform them, illegally of course at that time. Poor women were the one's who were sickened and/or died from the back alley procedures. But, like another poster said, if they were a woman they'd make sure they didn't get pregnant! I'm being flippant.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:31 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The idea that abortion providers routinely deliver live infants and then kill them is a completely bogus right-wing myth that has found its way into the halls of Congress. If such a thing ever did happen, it wouldn’t be necessary to pass a new law about it because infanticide is already illegal.

But none of that is stopping the GOP, which is once again turning to fearmongering and lies about abortion to rile up the right-wing base because Republicans have no other real ideas for governing.

https://shareblue.com/gop-vows-to-pu...ain-and-again/
Read and do your best to comprehend. I know its really, really hard for some people.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:41 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
A couple of things. It's not a fetus at 4 weeks, it's a blastocyst. OK, so semantics. Next, conception typically occurs about two weeks after LMP but pregnancy is counted (typical 40 weeks) from the LMP. Week 4 is implantation of the blastocyst. Week 5 things really speed up. Now, my question to you. If the zygote/embryo/fetus life is equal to a born person (the mother), then why should abortion be legal if the mother's life is in jeopardy?
You really have to ask that question?

Old 03-23-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Maybe it is better, though. Are you familiar with the concept of child abuse?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26070372

Half the women who seek abortion were using contraception in the cycle in which they conceived.

Three quarters are low income.

https://www.guttmacher.org/report/ch...-patients-2014

What is the difference between "true rape" and "false rape"?

Babies are still placed for adoption. Do you think that should be mandatory, not voluntary?

Their male partners have no responsibility?
Yeah, let's just assume that unless the mother gets an abortion she will abuse that child. Ever heard of adoption?

Of course the male partners share in the responsibility of a pregnancy. They like their female partner should make sure one or both of them use birth control before engaging in sex.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:47 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Just the women who find themselves with an unwanted pregnancy are stupid, irresponsible, or immoral.

Right?
Wrong, and no way did I even suggest that women with an unwanted pregnancy are stupid are stupid, irresponsible, or immoral. You're picking an argument because I disagreed with another poster who claims that EVERY argument against abortion is based on the idea that women are stupid, irresponsible, or immoral. Hogwash.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:44 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Yeah, let's just assume that unless the mother gets an abortion she will abuse that child. Ever heard of adoption?

Of course the male partners share in the responsibility of a pregnancy. They like their female partner should make sure one or both of them use birth control before engaging in sex.
Why did people who abuse and kill their children not place them for adoption?

As I said before, half the women who seek abortion were using contraception in the cycle in which they conceived. The idea that all unplanned pregnancies are due to failure to use contraception is false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Wrong, and no way did I even suggest that women with an unwanted pregnancy are stupid are stupid, irresponsible, or immoral. You're picking an argument because I disagreed with another poster who claims that EVERY argument against abortion is based on the idea that women are stupid, irresponsible, or immoral. Hogwash.
What you said was

Quote:
The primary reason for anti-abortion sentiment is that life or potential life begins at conception, certainly at a point prior to birth. Whether based on religion, science, or personally developed values, that belief isn't formed because women are stupid, irresponsible, or immoral.
Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant, but that statement to me implied that people who oppose abortion are not stupid, irresponsible or immoral but those who have abortions are.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:49 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The idea that abortion providers routinely deliver live infants and then kill them is a completely bogus right-wing myth that has found its way into the halls of Congress. If such a thing ever did happen, it wouldn’t be necessary to pass a new law about it because infanticide is already illegal.

But none of that is stopping the GOP, which is once again turning to fearmongering and lies about abortion to rile up the right-wing base because Republicans have no other real ideas for governing.

https://shareblue.com/gop-vows-to-pu...ain-and-again/

The Republican War-On-Christmas SOCIAL JUSTICE WAR to make infanticide re-illegal while it still is illegal is ridiculous.

Of note, if not detailed and precisely fine-tuned:

Who is going to pay for doctors who take care to try to resuscitate and maintain alive the aborted fetuses?

Higher taxes on the rich, on this bill's supporters, or on the religious? Then I'm all for it.
Also, it should be another doctor that tries to keep the aborted fetus alive, rather than just letting God take it, not the doctor that is taking care of the woman who wanted the abortion. That doctor is biased for his own decisions and his patient's interests.

Furthermore, the baby's life, if it survives, should be completely supported by taxes on those who support this bill only, on the rich who can afford to stop living in such luxury, or on the religious that are like-wise of the previous two.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-23-2019 at 10:58 AM..

Old 03-23-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Why did people who abuse and kill their children not place them for adoption?

As I said before, half the women who seek abortion were using contraception in the cycle in which they conceived. The idea that all unplanned pregnancies are due to failure to use contraception is false.

What you said was

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant, but that statement to me implied that people who oppose abortion are not stupid, irresponsible or immoral but those who have abortions are.
You expect me to answer questions about people I don't even know?

Doesn't matter. If the birth control failed they need to accept that fact, not choose abortion. One knows ahead of time that birth control might fail so before engaging in sex knowing that fact it should be taken into consideration.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:05 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
You expect me to answer questions about people I don't even know?

Doesn't matter. If the birth control failed they need to accept that fact, not choose abortion. One knows ahead of time that birth control might fail so before engaging in sex knowing that fact it should be taken into consideration.
Well, you are saying that people you do not even know should choose adoption, aren't you?

It is not your place to force someone who does not want a pregnancy to forgo abortion if she feels that is the best option for her and her family. You would not choose abortion, but you do not get to force your viewpoint on someone who does not share it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies