Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 07:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The primary reason for anti-abortion sentiment is that life or potential life begins at conception, certainly at a point prior to birth. Whether based on religion, science, or personally developed values, that belief isn't formed because women are stupid, irresponsible, or immoral. Many women are active in anti-abortion efforts.
If you believe that, then you have to believe something about the women who seek abortion. Like, they are too stupid to understand that there is a potential life, or they are too irresponsible to make decisions about their body, or too immoral to make the right decision. EVERY argument rests on the premise that women are stupid, irresponsible or immoral. Anti-abortion wants to prevent women from making decisions about their bodies and their lives, because women can't be trusted to make those decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Wrong, and no way did I even suggest that women with an unwanted pregnancy are stupid are stupid, irresponsible, or immoral. You're picking an argument because I disagreed with another poster who claims that EVERY argument against abortion is based on the idea that women are stupid, irresponsible, or immoral. Hogwash.
Of course you did. Your position is that law must be changed to make abortion illegal, because women are legally choosing abortion. And those women are wrong. What makes those women wrong? What makes you distrust their judgment?

Old 03-25-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You expect me to answer questions about people I don't even know?

Doesn't matter. If the birth control failed they need to accept that fact, not choose abortion. One knows ahead of time that birth control might fail so before engaging in sex knowing that fact it should be taken into consideration.
Oooh, the good old punish women for having sex argument.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:21 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Of course you did. Your position is that law must be changed to make abortion illegal, because women are legally choosing abortion. And those women are wrong. What makes those women wrong? What makes you distrust their judgment?
Find a single post where I call for abortion to be made illegal. I double dare you.

I often disagree with choicers over how they describe laws, use statistics, ridicule lifers who believe life or potential life begins prior to birth, use terms like clump of cells and parasite to describe a fetus, and dehumanize babies born less than healthy.

I don't care how many abortions a woman has, 1, 5, 10, particularly prior to viability. I support free contraception, especially the most effective kinds.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:30 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Oooh, the good old punish women for having sex argument.
That’s the core reason abortion is such a big deal to the Christian Right with LGBT issues being close behind. Both represent a threat to the forced patriarchy that Republicans want to impose on us all.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Find a single post where I call for abortion to be made illegal. I double dare you.

I often disagree with choicers over how they describe laws, use statistics, ridicule lifers who believe life or potential life begins prior to birth, use terms like clump of cells and parasite to describe a fetus, and dehumanize babies born less than healthy.

I don't care how many abortions a woman has, 1, 5, 10, particularly prior to viability. I support free contraception, especially the most effective kinds.
I looked, I didn't find any post of yours calling for abortion to be made illegal. That said, it doesn't mean that all arguments that are for making abortion to be made illegal are not based on the women seeking an abortion being stupid, irresponsible and/or immoral. ALL the arguments are based on such a premise.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:49 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,406,673 times
Quote:

The bolded is an important point.

There is a false narrative among lifers that third trimester abortions are about women who just happen to decide in the third trimester that they don't want a baby, but this virtually never happens.

Third trimester abortions are almost always about a fetus, that, though in the third trimester remains unviable, i.e. will die shortly after birth or will suffer and then die a few weeks or months later, or they are about conditions that threaten the mother's health and make it dangerous for her to continue the pregnancy.

As someone that generally supports choice, I would in fact be ok with legislation that codifies this, i.e. only allows third trimester abortions for those specific reasons, even though those conditions are almost universally the reason for them today.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:55 PM

1,768 posts, read 567,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If I were a female I'd take precautions not to get pregnant in the first place.
And if I were a person who really wanted to stop abortions from happening, I'd devote my time, money, and efforts to organizations that advocate sex education and making contraception affordable and available to everyone, so unwanted pregnancies wouldn't happen in the first place.

Because just like the argument that making guns illegal won't stop anyone who really wants a gun from buying one, making abortion illegal won't stop anyone who really wants one from getting one.

But it's not about "saving babies". It's never been about saving babies. It's about what it's always been about: Imposing one group's religious beliefs about sex on every single person in the country.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:59 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,406,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
And if I were a person who really wanted to stop abortions from happening, I'd devote my time, money, and efforts to organizations that advocate sex education and making contraception affordable and available to everyone, so unwanted pregnancies wouldn't happen in the first place.

Because just like the argument that making guns illegal won't stop anyone who really wants a gun from buying one, making abortion illegal won't stop anyone who really wants one from getting one.

But it's not about "saving babies". It's never been about saving babies. It's about what it's always been about: Imposing one group's religious beliefs about sex on every single person in the country.
Ding Ding, we have a winner.

Cons rarely support comprehensive sex ed, or subsidies for poor people to have greater access to contraception and condoms. All policies proven to reduce abortions.

The con agenda has always been about disapproving of any form of sex that does not take place within a marital union of a man and a woman.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:15 PM

37,094 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
As someone that generally supports choice, I would in fact be ok with legislation that codifies this, i.e. only allows third trimester abortions for those specific reasons, even though those conditions are almost universally the reason for them today.
Which is what the NY law that kicked off this uproar does.

It specifies that a pregnancy may be terminated in the third trimester for a serious maternal condition or when the fetus is nonviable. It also removed abortion laws from the criminal code and placed them in health care law.

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/02/ad...-abortion-law/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies