Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 04:10 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Please name those ICE and Border Patrol "experts" who say we need a wall. Cite sources where these statements can be found.

I ask this as oddly enough, the Border Patrol and ICE folks I've seen interviewed mostly say exactly the opposite - they need support, yes, as in more personnel, better equipment, better pay, better housing for those requesting refugee status, etc.

But they don't need or want a Gulf to Shining Sea wall.
Is this a joke? I live in a border state and I see interviews with agents who support the wall all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 04:32 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Is this a joke? I live in a border state and I see interviews with agents who support the wall all the time.

Wishful thinking on their part. Probably a couple of border agents that would make such statements. Why wouldn't the majority want a wall to protect themselves and to help deter illegal entry which would make their jobs easier?

Old 02-26-2019, 04:42 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Well, what do you expect to see on the sources you consider "news." I know border patrol agents and ICE agents, that's where I get my information from. No, I won't give you their names because you would probably sic Antifa on them.
Good for you. No Antifa in my area, nor am I affiliated with it in any way whatsoever. Why did you even resort to this kind of personal insult, which is completely unrelated to the topic under discussion?

You'd likely be surprised at my news sources. I read my local newspaper, listen to news radio, watch morning and evening news on television, read several online newspapers and news magazines, and of course check Drudge online about every day, mainly for its good collection of links, but also to see a variety of viewpoints, domestic and international. I don't watch CNN or Fox regularly, as I don't have cable.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:45 PM

17,620 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Good for you. No Antifa in my area, nor am I affiliated with it in any way whatsoever. Why did you even resort to this kind of personal insult, which is completely unrelated to the topic under discussion?

You'd likely be surprised at my news sources. I read my local newspaper, listen to news radio, watch morning and evening news on television, read several online newspapers and news magazines, and of course check Drudge online about every day, mainly for its good collection of links, but also to see a variety of viewpoints, domestic and international. I don't watch CNN or Fox regularly, as I don't have cable.
I know you're against border security because you're against a border wall. I assume that means you agree with disbanding ICE and demonizing the people who work for ICE and the border patrol, just like the people you vote for do. If I'm wrong maybe you need to call the people you elect and tell them to start supporting border security and the people who work at ICE and border patrol.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who is advocating for a wall from sea to shining sea? All that is being requested is to complete the good barriers on the most porous areas of the border already approved by congress back in 2006 but instead mere fending was erected.

Here are the remarks from Homeland Security they certainly are affiliated with the Border Patrol. You want exact names and statements from individuals? How about you providing sources to your claims that the Border Patrol and ICE say that we don't need the walls along with the above. Put your money where your mouth is. I'll wait!

https://www.washingtontimes.com/topi...border-patrol/

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work
Thanks for the links.

As for who is advocating for a sea to sea wall, take a look at Donald Trump's initial proposal, now being forcefully modified by the very correct refusal of Congress to fund such an unnecessary monstrosity and boondoggle. Trump backed down when presented with strong Congressional opposition, and is now touting himself as a "compromiser" who would accept a lesser wall or wall, when it became clear that his vast wall would not be funded (Henry Clay, where are you, dear REAL and original Great Compromiser??)

I just amended my previous post for clarity- please reread it. I do not expect or request exact names, obviously, from anyone else, but verifying information about your claims would strengthen them.

As most of what I have seen from border officials has been on television news (or heard or read from a variety of online sources or on the radio), names other than first names have been seldom used, for reasons of security.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I know you're against border security because you're against a border wall. I assume that means you agree with disbanding ICE and demonizing the people who work for ICE and the border patrol, just like the people you vote for do. If I'm wrong maybe you need to call the people you elect and tell them to start supporting border security and the people who work at ICE and border patrol.
You assume too much.

I am a descendant of immigrants - many immigrants, from a variety of countries - and have at least two family lines descending from refugees, who were fleeing religious persecution. As such, this issue resonates with me.

You appear to perceive this issue in very black and white terms, as illustrated by your first sentence above. There are many, many other methods of addressing illegal immigration than by a vast border wall. I have addressed this in my previous posts, here and elsewhere.

I support fine-tuning ICE and the Border Control, not eliminating them, so that they can better deal with illegal immigration (which has declined in recent years, though many would deny that and want to prevent you and others from knowing that, for selfish political reasons).

Thoughtful and informed upgrading of existing barriers in select spots, adding some similar barriers in other "hot spots", spreading the word to would-be immigrants about what they are likely to experience if they cross illegally, improving the treatment of those legally seeking refuge, and cracking down on American employers of illegal immigrants are all things I support, along with better training and supervision of ICE and Border Control members. More humane treatment of those in custody and an end to separating children from families, and reuniting children with family members go without saying. Current policies have not worked and many are repulsive and inhumane.

Sadly, few of the people I voted for recently are in national office. Instead, those who are and who purport to "represent" me - don't. I sign petitions, write letters, call, go to rare local appearances, protest, question courteously - to little avail. One of these so-called representatives doesn't even bother to clear out his voice mail box, either in D.C. or here in Kentucky. I'll leave it to you to figure out who he is, but it shouldn't be hard.

Now can we get back to the original topic? Thank you.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:33 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Being against the border wall does not equate to being against border security, but you knew that already.
Heck, did you guys see old Turkey Neck slow-walking back his proclaimed support of the 'national emergency"?

He sounded a whole lot more doubtful today.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Heck, did you guys see old Turkey Neck slow-walking back his proclaimed support of the 'national emergency"?

He sounded a whole lot more doubtful today.
Would Old Turkey Neck also be known as Old Turtle?? If so, I missed this, no doubt while defending my position from misguided potshots here at CD. Gotta get off the Forums and check out the news! Thanks for the tip.

Maybe the Turtle/Turkey did finally listen to his jam-packed voicemail boxes...those here in his not-native state and those in D.C.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:41 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Would Old Turkey Neck also be known as Old Turtle?? If so, I missed this, no doubt while defending my position from misguided potshots here at CD. Gotta get off the Forums and check out the news! Thanks for the tip.

Maybe the Turtle/Turkey did finally listen to his jam-packed voicemail boxes...those here in his not-native state and those in D.C.
Yeah; I meant the Turtle. He would not answer whether or not this power grab was constitutional. "We have people looking into that right now". . . . .

Old 02-26-2019, 05:42 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
They likely won’t and even if they do, who cares? Trump already said he will veto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies