Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2019, 10:27 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I hate that too- total disrespect, and it's valued by the idiots that listen to it- no matter their race.
If you don't like it, don't listen to it... It's just music and entertainment... Funny how some of the same people who have problems with music have no problems watching movies with drugs, sex, and violence in it... Just because you don't like something doesn't make those who do "idiots." That point of view is idiotic in my opinion. Thinking that, regardless of what a person has done or accomplished in their lives, that they can be relegated to being an idiot based on nothing else other that the music they enjoy listening too...

Old 02-28-2019, 10:28 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
It's a huge deal in the Black community. Maybe it seems that way because, unlike with whites, it's socially acceptable to public speak out against it. Black women are the biggest offenders. They do not topically take issue with white men dating black women, but many of them can't stand to see a black man with a white woman....

I suspect that a lot of this animosity has to do with competition. Some black women may regard a white woman with a black man as having "taken" "their" man, and thus leaving one fewer same-race man available for them. Likewise with some white men disliking black men for "taking" "their" women. And Asian men getting annoyed at white men for "taking" "their" women. And so on.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You either haven't spent any time in any black-majority inner cities, or you are being willfully obtuse. I cannot see any other explanation for why you seem to be denying that there is indeed a certain culture associated with black-majority inner cities.
What inner city neighborhood are you from? How long have you lived there, and when did you live there?

Old 02-28-2019, 10:31 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I hate that too- total disrespect, and it's valued by the idiots that listen to it- no matter their race.
Gotta have alittle rebel in you.

“Some musicians cuss at home
But scared to use profanity when upon the microphone
Yeah, they want reality, but you will hear none
They'd rather exaggerate a little fiction
Some say no to drugs, and take a stand
But after the show, they go looking for the "Dopeman"”

Old 02-28-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
What inner city neighborhood are you from? How long have you lived there, and when did you live there?

I lived in West Philadelphia for 10 years. I've worked (though haven't lived) in Baltimore for 25 years and counting.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I suspect that a lot of this animosity has to do with competition. Some black women may regard a white woman with a black man as having "taken" "their" man, and thus leaving one fewer same-race man available for them. Likewise with some white men disliking black men for "taking" "their" women. And Asian men getting annoyed at white men for "taking" "their" women. And so on.
Yea, but the only white men I hear publicly complaining about black men taking their women are usually alt right/ white supremacist... Black woman are the most vile, aggressive, insulting, and vocal about race mixing (black man and white woman only).

Old 02-28-2019, 10:39 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa2323 View Post
There's a growing number of Americans who are mixed race and identify as such.

Do you believe that much will change -with respect to how Americans collectively view race, given the influx of people with multi-racial identities? I ask because much of the discussions are often focussed around white vs black in the U.S., but with the increase in multi-racial people and the dwindling of the black American and white American populations, I foresee America changing drastically.

What are your thoughts/views?

I personally spent years growing up a couple of people of Italian descent back in home town. Their ancestors no doubt were put down as unintelligent poor people who were gonna be "the death of hearty, healthy, white America". Yet, in my lifetime, the community respected as "solid middle class people" who contributed a lot to the community. I'm pretty sure Italian Americans today are equally likely as not compared to English-Nordic types to be that way, too. If Italians didn't "bring down America", then why should I believe others presently regarded as "minorities" will do so?

Hint: that's your answer - especially in the long run.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:42 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
I lived in West Philadelphia for 10 years. I've worked (though haven't lived) in Baltimore for 25 years and counting.
Will Smith, is that you?

Old 02-28-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
So that makes you an expert on the inner workings of black families in those neighborhoods? Yes, many can be ignorant, many young men like rap music (older men as well as most women on all ages like R&B), etc, but from my personal experience is that they all value friendship and family. Many people in these neighborhoods been there their whole lives just like their parents before them. They all know each other, went to school with each other, and grew up together...

Plus I hate steriotypes... I'm tired of hearing some minorities call all police and white conservatives racist just as much as I'm tired of hearing some of the equally ridiculous and insulting steriotypes that have been stated in this thread about black people... Sure, there's some truth to what both sides are saying, but it's only true for a small minority who gets the most attention..

Old 02-28-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
So that makes you an expert on the inner workings of black families in those neighborhoods? Yes, many can be ignorant, many young men like rap music (older men as well as most women on all ages like R&B), etc, but from my personal experience is that they all value friendship and family. Many people in these neighborhoods been there their whole lives just like their parents before them. They all know each other, went to school with each other, and grew up together...

Plus I hate steriotypes... I'm tired of hearing some minorities call all police and white conservatives racist just as much as I'm tired of hearing some of the equally ridiculous and insulting steriotypes that have been stated in this thread about black people... Sure, there's some truth to what both sides are saying, but it's only true for a small minority who gets the most attention..
That's quite a stretch to conclude the bolded, from what I said. You asked me how long I had lived in inner-city neighborhoods, and I answered. This doesn't make me an expert in black families. What it does do, is gives me some idea of what it is like to be around inner-city black people. And what I've found is that some of those people -- in particular, their young men -- are very unpleasant to be around.

Where I've lived (not worked, but lived) for the past 19 years is an affluent suburban area with a substantial Asian population. Thus, I've also gained some idea of what it is like to be around suburban Asian people. Given my experiences, if I'm asked to choose between an inner-city black person and a suburban Asian person, knowing nothing else about either of them, I will pick the latter -- EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

So I guess desertdetroiter is right: this conservative white person IS "weirdly protective" of Asian people. Simply put, I like them. And I don't like seeing them get negatively impacted by unfairness, as I believe is happening with this Harvard situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies