Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 01:42 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
We have tons! That's the difference. We have representatives of a lot of cultures here. When I go to other countries such as Korea, for example, you really see the difference. You don't see much diversity, and they have a strong culture that hasn't been mixed up with other cultures. You feel like a stranger there if you aren't Korean. I don't think America is even close to that. America is unique this way as a country. There are other cities around the world that are more diverse but as far as countries there is not. We are multicultural and it's not ethnic specific. Our culture is multicultural.
Nope! We still have an identifying culture and language. We aren't multicultural per se. We have minority cultures living among us that doesn't mean we don't have an identifying one. Your clue is that we aren't known as a Hispanic, Asian country, etc.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think there is not much one can do. In science it is called osmosis. In this case there is wealth here and poverty there, so the tendency is for people to move from poor to wealthy regions, reducing the difference in the concentration of wealth.
We certainly can do something about illegal immigration and be picky about who we allow to migrate here legally. How can you possibly state otherwise?

Old 03-19-2019, 01:47 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yes, and no. People of mixed race might not be as likely to buy into cheap stereotyping. On the other hand, it also depends. Some persons who are mixed race might hate one side of their mix, or look down on other races because "I'm not of that race". Some look at it as "I have more of this in me than you". Anyone can be a bigot.
I'm super mixed. Ashkenazi Jewish, Norwegian, Japanese, Hawaiian, Indian, Cuban, Ethiopian.

I don't feel any of that bigotry because aside from it being simply wrong to judge people on their phenotypes, I don't feel like I actually belong to any group. It would be nice to feel like I belong to a culture, but at the same time it makes me question why people use that as such a crutch for their identity.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:48 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We certainly can do something about illegal immigration and be picky about who we allow to migrate here legally. How can you possibly state otherwise?
Illegal immigration has been illegal for ages, yet it continues to happen, not just in the US by the way.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Illegal immigration has been illegal for ages, yet it continues to happen, not just in the US by the way.

So, does that mean we cannot put a stop to it now or at least reduce it? What a defeatist attitude. Many countries are doing it since it's reaching critical mass in their countries along with so many so-called refugees flooding their countries. We need to do likewise and I'm glad we finally have a president that is trying.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:06 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm super mixed. Ashkenazi Jewish, Norwegian, Japanese, Hawaiian, Indian, Cuban, Ethiopian.

I don't feel any of that bigotry because aside from it being simply wrong to judge people on their phenotypes, I don't feel like I actually belong to any group. It would be nice to feel like I belong to a culture, but at the same time it makes me question why people use that as such a crutch for their identity.
You can belong to more then one culture at the same time. Matter of fact most people do already.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
So, does that mean we cannot put a stop to it now or at least reduce it? What a defeatist attitude.
I am simply realistic. Osmosis is natural. Big differences lead to instability and as the differences increase, so do the forces trying to decrease them.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I am simply realistic. Osmosis is natural. Big differences lead to instability and as the differences increase, so do the forces trying to decrease them.
Doesn't mean we can't prevent what comes natural, now does it? Why do you keep missing the point? The forces to decrease it are gaining steam and you know it. There is a tipping point to everything and we have reached it.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Doesn't mean we can't prevent what comes natural, now does it? Why do you keep missing the point? The forces to decrease it are gaining steam and you know it. There is a tipping point to everything and we have reached it.
I don't see that happening. To the contrary, there are still forces trying to increase the differences, for instance many of those free-trade agreements that benefit mostly one side.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:19 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa2323 View Post
There are a number of white Americans who are actually mixed race, but you wouldn't know it by looking at them. Meghan and Harry's daughter, for example, will definitely be white, with some genetic African ancestry.
Here is the question. How will said person be perceived when it's found he/she has that one drop of African ancestry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies