Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LGBTQ community, which political party are you with?
Republican 19 34.55%
Democrat 23 41.82%
Other 13 23.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 06:36 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Straight and not voting.

I've always sought out liberal/creative communities, and AFAIK all the LGBTQ folks I have known were liberals and therefore vote D or third party. Obviously I can't know how many I've known that were still in the closet.
If you hang out with liberals, OF COURSE all the gay people you know are liberal.

I know conservative gay people. They exist in greater number than you think.

You know, not everyone defines their entire personality or world view based on who they prefer to smooch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 10:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I merely meant that the left/MSM does not call out or dare to generalize black voters as homophobic the way they will go after white Republican voters. Just look at Hillary's "they're racist, homophobic" "basket of deplorables" remarks and how the MSM and liberal pundits today will generalize when attacking the right
Thats because we do tend to police our own. Like it or not, No Black democrat with any power is proposing restricting LGBT rights, and the old guard who try are getting primaried and defeated.

Quote:
Also, I don't disagree that this was a reason why the Kevin Hart issue came back up, but let's be clear: his non-apology was a thing for years. Yet, until he was about to go onto the really big stage, he was generally left alone and still allowed to star in movies and television shows and to go on massively successful comedy tours in the meantime.The left's silence in that regard would not have been the same, I submit, for a conservative film/tv/comedy star.
This has less to do with "the left" and more to do with Kevin Harts targeted audience, Black people 24 to 44. Meaning most of the left had no idea who he was until Jumanji came out at the end of 2017

Hart has been called out more and more over the years because that group has shifted to be less supportive of homophobic jokes and things along that line.

I honestly think your anger is misplaced here. It would be like me assuming every person on the right knows who Candace Owens is. She is popular if you follow a specific brand of politics, but not much outside of that. Hart was the same way, his Oscar break is what exposed him to the Left at large.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you hang out with liberals, OF COURSE all the gay people you know are liberal.

I know conservative gay people. They exist in greater number than you think.

You know, not everyone defines their entire personality or world view based on who they prefer to smooch.
There are a couple of misconceptions here

Party =/= Ideology.

Being conservative doesnt make you a Republican, being liberal doesnt make you a Democrat. They are closely tied together in our charged political time, but not inseparable.

That being said, most gay people, regardless of their own ideology, tend to hang out with people who dont hate them.

That means even many of the conservative gay people probably have more liberal friends.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:03 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thats because we do tend to police our own. Like it or not, No Black democrat with any power is proposing restricting LGBT rights, and the old guard who try are getting primaried and defeated.
Regardless of the reason, it still does not happen. Even among white Republican voters/entertainers who would oppose (think the Duck Dynasty guy who came out against same sex marriage, again, in 2016) gay marriage are still attacked by the MSM (he was suspended from the show). They are not politicians and don't have the power to restrict anything. Yet, from the jump, they are attacked by the MSM and leftwing blogs in a way that black Democrats are not (again, it took years for the Kevin Hart issue to be an issue among the left, even though it was all public record on twitter): https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b09214b14ef5f1 ; https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/0...y-sot-erin.cnn ; https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/duc...er-1201810837/ ; https://www.eonline.com/de/news/4923...i-gay-comments

The hypocrisy in terms of coverage and otherwise is so glaring that it isn't even funny.

Quote:
This has less to do with "the left" and more to do with Kevin Harts targeted audience, Black people 24 to 44. Meaning most of the left had no idea who he was until Jumanji came out at the end of 2017

Hart has been called out more and more over the years because that group has shifted to be less supportive of homophobic jokes and things along that line.

I honestly think your anger is misplaced here. It would be like me assuming every person on the right knows who Candace Owens is. She is popular if you follow a specific brand of politics, but not much outside of that. Hart was the same way, his Oscar break is what exposed him to the Left at large.
It has plenty to do with the left and continues to fit a pattern where generally black liberals are not called out by leftwing media in the same way that white conservatives are for the same offenses (and don't even get me started on the unbalanced treatment of black conservatives). And while Kevin Hart was not so well known outside of black circles when he first made those tweets, that was not the case in the years after; heck, he earns $70 million a year from touring for himself (the revenues from the tour are even larger in total) . . . that's not just from black people 24-44. And in the years that passed since he tweeted that nonsense, he had definitely become more a well known household name among younger whites, too, especially via television shows.

But, again, this pattern can also be seen for things other than homophobia. There is ample evidence (including photographic evidence) of black congressman and women meeting and breaking bread with racist and antisemite Louis Farrakhan. Yet, these individuals get no where near the same flack for their behavior that white conservatives would get for meeting with such a character. Hell, Dr. Ben Carson was called out by the leftwing media/pundits for saying that slaves were immigrants, while those same media/pundits were silent during the many times that Obama uttered the same thing. The difference in treatment based on who the speaker is has long been clear as day.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:07 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Democrat. I cannot support a political party that believes I should be a second class citizen because their holy book, which should be non-binding legally according to the Constitution, says I am an abomination.
I have some bad news for you, you share a political party with religious Black Americans and the black church who absolutely believe you should be a second class citizen based on their holy book.

Quote:
It's no secret that a large majority of African-American Christians are theologically conservative. The Pew Research Center's national study of American religion lists African-Americans among the most religiously committed American ethnic groups. They are more likely than the general population to interpret the Bible literally and believe in God with absolute certainty. Considering the theologically conservative disposition of black churches at large, it makes sense that many black Christians take the Apostle Paul at his word when Paul portrays homosexuality as an act of depravity and perversion in his letter to the Romans
Why black church culture rejects homosexuality - CNN.com

I'm always sad to share the news to the LGBTQ community that their own political party betrays them.

Last edited by Rocko20; 02-28-2019 at 11:31 PM..

Old 02-28-2019, 11:09 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
A. We are not a community.
B. I've always been a Republican, but now they are a derailed crazy train (and I'm not even talking about Trump, who is 10 times less scary than Christian ISIS, Pence).

No party. Just looking for reasonable candidates.

Pence has the same stance as Reagan and both Bushes on gay marriage.....in what era were you a Republican, in the 50's or 60's?...I'm sure they had a stronger stance against gay marriage back then.

Bill Clinton and Obama had the same stance as Pence until they flipped in 2012.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:21 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There are a couple of misconceptions here

Party =/= Ideology.

Being conservative doesnt make you a Republican, being liberal doesnt make you a Democrat. They are closely tied together in our charged political time, but not inseparable.

That being said, most gay people, regardless of their own ideology, tend to hang out with people who dont hate them.

That means even many of the conservative gay people probably have more liberal friends.

does hate mean everybody that don't believe in gay marriage? I mean, I'm against abortions but I don't hate women and the doctors that perform it.

In my experience with a large % of gays is that if you don't accept their lifestyle and their platform then you are labeled homophobic or hateful towards them. Maybe that's the case for some but not the majority of us. We just believe that the definition of marriage is 1 man and 1 woman. That's what the U.S. government by the threat of force told the Mormons in Utah.

I treat gays like any person, by the content of their character not who are they screwing but gays are sensitive and defensive people, they will always use the gay card if you don't ki$$ ass to them.

I had this gay guy at work that was obnoxious. Real feminine, vulgar and loud over the top and acted like a diva and like to gossip and when he got together with his gay friends they really took it over the top. I kept a distance from him and he thought I did that because I hated gays......LOL

Old 02-28-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Regardless of the reason, it still does not happen. Even among white Republican voters/entertainers who would oppose (think the Duck Dynasty guy who came out against same sex marriage, again, in 2016) gay marriage are still attacked by the MSM (he was suspended from the show). They are not politicians and don't have the power to restrict anything. Yet, from the jump, they are attacked by the MSM and leftwing blogs in a way that black Democrats are not (again, it took years for the Kevin Hart issue to be an issue among the left, even though it was all public record on twitter): https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b09214b14ef5f1 ; https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/0...y-sot-erin.cnn ; https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/duc...er-1201810837/ ; https://www.eonline.com/de/news/4923...i-gay-comments

The hypocrisy in terms of coverage and otherwise is so glaring that it isn't even funny.

It has plenty to do with the left and continues to fit a pattern where generally black liberals are not called out by leftwing media in the same way that white conservatives are for the same offenses (and don't even get me started on the unbalanced treatment of black conservatives). And while Kevin Hart was not so well known outside of black circles when he first made those tweets, that was not the case in the years after; heck, he earns $70 million a year from touring for himself (the revenues from the tour are even larger in total) . . . that's not just from black people 24-44. And in the years that passed since he tweeted that nonsense, he had definitely become more a well known household name among younger whites, too, especially via television shows.
there is like 10 problems with your argument, lets hit the main ones.

1. If you are geuninly made about the timeframe, cool. I have argued why it happend, but you have a right to your opinion on it.

but

2. people like Phil Robertson was only suspended for 9 days and his show lasted 11 seasons total 8 after the incident listed in your link.

So i guess my question is, what are you actually angry about . because in the 2 people named, Hart actually lost more.

Im honestly not understanding you being upset by the time frame here.

Quote:
But, again, this pattern can also be seen for things other than homophobia. There is ample evidence (including photographic evidence) of black congressman and women meeting and breaking bread with racist and antisemite Louis Farrakhan. Yet, these individuals get no where near the same flack for their behavior that white conservatives would get for meeting with such a character. Hell, Dr. Ben Carson was called out by the leftwing media/pundits for saying that slaves were immigrants, while those same media/pundits were silent during the many times that Obama uttered the same thing. The difference in treatment based on who the speaker is has long been clear as day.

1. Louis Farrakhan is a monster, we can agree, but so are most of the ministers the right wing meets with. Both groups should be called out, neither really are other than the few times they throw shots at each other.

1b. But the MSM does indeed cover it when both do.

2. Obama did not call slaves immigrants in the same context Carson did. Saying they did is wrong and simplistic.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:50 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I know many LGBT people, and I am gay myself. I am curious to know your political party?
I’ve always voted Dem for state and local elections. I voted Libertarian in the last 2 elections because I was disillusioned with the repulsiveness of ACA and I absolutely hated HRC’s fawning over the illegals/refugees/welfare ppl. Dems forgot about tax fairness as have the Repugs. Trump is the trashiest, dumbest POTUS that we’ve ever had second only to Woodrow Wilson.
If I voted in a swing state where my POTUS vote mattered, I’d have to force my finger to place by the X by the Dem POTUS candidate.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:52 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
I'm gay and nominally Republican but I really am more libertarian than anything. I hate both political parties, although I hate the Dems a little more than Reps. I really feel like a political orphan more than anything. I think elections are kind of a joke and the real power is several levels above the political system (there's a level or two above the corporatocracy as well, IMO).

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 03-01-2019 at 12:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies