Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 03:11 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times

Advertisements

Personally I would call it 'education'.

Kids learn by holding, feeling, seeing and hearing about objects in the world.

If you are teaching young children about American history and specifically slavery, which is sounds like the lesson or filed trip was at least in part about, then the plants grown, particularly cotton, was a large part of that history. I assume they also learned about Eli Whitney that invented the cotton gin, how slaves were not allowed to go to school and so on.

No doubt the context and subject matter needs to be tailored to the age and class but seeing, holding and knowing about cotton, how it is made into clothes and even its association with slavery is appropriate for most children.

Those that have issues with it need to go back to school themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 03:14 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, you're saying people shouldn't go see them so yeah, you are arguing against their existence.

Nothing's self explanatory for you.
Again, keyword - forced

I dont get the point of you trying to take my comments out of context.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:24 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Again, keyword - forced

I dont get the point of you trying to take my comments out of context.
And you're redefining forced. How much do you think would get done in school if kids could opt out of everything.

This kid didn't have to go out and lift dat bale or tote dat barge. She got a sample of raw cotton, something she probably had no clue about.

They visited slave quarters I guess. Do you have any idea what kids have no clue about? Size is one thing. No bathroom is another.

You're arguing on one hand that this history has to be taught and then, on the other hand, taking away legitimate teaching tools that no textbook, no matter how "good", can incorporate.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:33 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
What the hell are you talking about?

Every single one of my post on this thread has been a plea to have this sort of education and discussion.
No need to get irate, I didn't read all your posts. Just responding to the tone you had in that one thread which seemed to be arguing against what was done. I apologize if I misunderstood you.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:36 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Again, keyword - forced
Wrong again.

Only her optional participation in the state page program required to attend this field trip. This wasn't a school field trip; it was an opt-in educational experience She didn't have to join the page program.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wrong again.

Only her optional participation in the state page program required to attend this field trip. This wasn't a school field trip; it was an opt-in educational experience She didn't have to join the page program.
Thats a long winded way of saying she was forced.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:13 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
After the month her husband just had this was a terrible idea.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
And you're redefining forced. How much do you think would get done in school if kids could opt out of everything.
since neither of us is an absolutist, im not understand your point.

Quote:
This kid didn't have to go out and lift dat bale or tote dat barge. She got a sample of raw cotton, something she probably had no clue about.
Why do you assume the kid has no idea what cotton is ? That alone is a weird argument.

Quote:
They visited slave quarters I guess. Do you have any idea what kids have no clue about? Size is one thing. No bathroom is another.
Again, weird argument, and contradicting your previous one where you claimed she probably didnt know about it, LOL.

Quote:
You're arguing on one hand that this history has to be taught and then, on the other hand, taking away legitimate teaching tools that no textbook, no matter how "good", can incorporate.
Unless every school is required to visit one, its not "taking it away", at best, its giving the option to do something else.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:28 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
since neither of us is an absolutist, im not understand your point.

Why do you assume the kid has no idea what cotton is ? That alone is a weird argument.

Again, weird argument, and contradicting your previous one where you claimed she probably didnt know about it, LOL.

Unless every school is required to visit one, its not "taking it away", at best, its giving the option to do something else.
If you think the average high school kid knows what raw cotton looks like, or slave quarters or has much of an idea about them you need to get in and teach a couple US History classes.

" Every school has to go" isn't an issue. What is the issue is you have there what's called a teachable moment. Sometimes you can plan for them but a lot of them come when you go someplace or bring in an aid of some sort. Maybe a cotton boll and going into a slave shack.

You can LOL all you want but you really have no idea what the average high school kid doesn't know. Things that many of us take for granted and which sometimes is classified as cultural literacy.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
If you think the average high school kid knows what raw cotton looks like, or slave quarters or has much of an idea about them you need to get in and teach a couple US History classes.
Yes, i believe a majority do understand it.

Quote:
" Every school has to go" isn't an issue. What is the issue is you have there what's called a teachable moment. Sometimes you can plan for them but a lot of them come when you go someplace or bring in an aid of some sort. Maybe a cotton boll and going into a slave shack.
It is the issue, the every context of your post is that these students need to go there to understand. Clearly a majority of the population never goes to these places, but still understand what slavery is.

Quote:
You can LOL all you want but you really have no idea what the average high school kid doesn't know. Things that many of us take for granted and which sometimes is classified as cultural literacy.
If the "average high school kid" doesnt understand slavery by simply reading about it, then im not sure simply going to a mansion that has slave quarters and touching some cotton is going to do it for the remainder.

But thats not really the point here since the kids were are talking about were smart enough to apply for a state senate page program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies