Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 05:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

An online forum that allows registered users to express themselves anonymously, with zero accountability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 05:51 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times
I'm there for awhile. It's nice to be on a site where some powerdrunk moderators don't ban you or cut half of your post because of pc.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:01 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So it's a website where people can comment whatever they want about some item somewhere else?

This is a browser extension and overlays the web page you are commenting on. Actually quite an ingenious idea.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
An online forum that allows registered users to express themselves anonymously, with zero accountability.

Moderation is double edged sword, you need good leadership for moderators and they need to be carefully chosen. The people that make the best moderators are typically the ones that don't want the job.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Moderation is double edged sword, you need good leadership for moderators and they need to be carefully chosen. The people that make the best moderators are typically the ones that don't want the job.
Not my point.

It’s the lack of personal accountability, cowardness, afforded by anonymity that enboldens people to express hate.

I have more personal respect for say a David Duke ( not his message) than I do someone who hides behind anonymity afforded by online forums.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:26 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Not my point.

It’s the lack of personal accountability, cowardness, afforded by anonymity that enboldens people to express hate.

I have more personal respect for say a David Duke ( not his message) than I do someone who hides behind anonymity afforded by online forums.
If you don't read it does it even really exist?

I have no desire to read mindless unaccountable posts so as far as I'm concerned it might as well be a tree falling in the forest.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:26 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,508 times
Quote:
Not my point.

Sorry, what's your real name again? We want to make sure you're held accountable for your view-points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you don't read it does it even really exist?

I have no desire to read mindless unaccountable posts so as far as I'm concerned it might as well be a tree falling in the forest.
Same with you. Post your identity.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:31 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Ok, no problem, they host the data and provide the infrastructure, they pick the rules for the platform. Now stop whining about other websites doing the exact same thing and choosing rules you don't agree with

The whole "but the internets is censorin muh views!" crowd basically has no fundamental understanding of how any of it works. When you post on a website, someone else owns the hardware and pays for the infrastructure to host those words. The website is their property, they pay for it, and they can do whatever they want with it including censor views or anything else they don't like, delete the whole thing, turn it into a cat video website, whatever. Pretty much the only thing they would not be able to do with it would be something that violates already existing restrictions on free speech (threats of violence, libel, etc). Free speech does not enter the equation it is actually a question of private property rights. Since the platform you are talking about is owned by gab, they are free to set whatever rules they want, or none at all - although with no rules, if their users violate existing laws they could potentially face penalties for it since they are technically "hosting" the words on their property - like if you let someone else put up threatening posters threatening violence against someone on the side of your house and then tried to defend yourself by saying that *you* weren't the one who put up the posters when you end up in court. It is a bit of a grey area.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 03-01-2019 at 06:53 AM..

Old 03-01-2019, 06:34 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Same with you. Post your identity.
We have moderating here. I'm not even sure why you felt a need to address me as I said, I really don't care what they do.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:38 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
I signed up for this through my Gab account. Right now that's the only way to do it, which may stifle its growth a bit because a lot of low information people think Gab = nazi. There is talk of allowing separate registration outside of Gab at some point in the future though.

It's a bit buggy right now but it works. It is particularly buggy on youtube videos. It has trouble working with the time stamps at different parts of the video I think. I've already seen a few articles with closed comments where the Dissenter app had it's own conversation going on about it though. This is a great app with a lot of potential and could really take off especially if they decouple it from Gab.

I can see why some mainstream platforms and media outlet are upset about it though. They like to be able to control the bias of the moderation and shut comments off on articles about subjects they don't want people posting opposing views on, and this circumvents that. If it catches on, it really takes some of their control away from the narrative. A natural thing to happen though, since they exercised their control with too heavy of a hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies