Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:06 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,941 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know why people keep bringing up Al and Jessie. They have been out of the spotlight for years, have been pretty much silent during this whole presidential campaign, but they keep being brought up as if they are saying something everyday. So why are they still being made as relavent when people speak of racism?

Many people on this forum also talk aboput not living in the past when it comes to race relations but I see so many posts that continue to talk about Al and Jessie and what they have done in the past. Since they have silent for so long shouldn't the focus be away from them? Also, if they have been so quiet and there are still problems from racism then it can't be laid at their doorstep if we are moving forward.

As for Obama being half white but claiming to be black, why is that his problem? That was something America brought on him, he was seen as a black man so what else is he supposed to do?

I think there are some people who post on this forum who only like to keep fanning the flames and ask questions that can be viewed as making negative statements. Thankfully there are others who like to debate honestly and with respect for each other. Hopefuly more of those people will chime in more often.

Oh yes 1 more thing. To have a debate like this people have to be willing to let go of their stereotypes, their old fashioned thinking and keeping an open mind. I'm wiling to, I wonder if it will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 07:06 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
So if someone says something racist, we should just shut up about it? Got it.

The definition of racism from Dictionary.com is this:
  1. <LI minmax_bound="true">The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
  2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
Just b/c someone says something negative about a person does not make them racist. There are many issues that are prevalent to blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and even white but if you point them out, you are labeled racist. And by definition that's not racism. That's the problem with people out here on this forum. If you are not sitting around the camp fire singing Kumbyah holding hands and singing the praises of Obama, you are a racist plain and simple and it's not true.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:09 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
I'd like to know why people keep bringing up Al and Jessie. They have been out of the spotlight for years, have been pretty much silent during this whole presidential campaign, but they keep being brought up as if they are saying something everyday. So why are they still being made as relavent when people speak of racism?

Many people on this forum also talk aboput not living in the past when it comes to race relations but I see so many posts that continue to talk about Al and Jessie and what they have done in the past. Since they have silent for so long shouldn't the focus be away from them? Also, if they have been so quiet and there are still problems from racism then it can't be laid at their doorstep if we are moving forward.

As for Obama being half white but claiming to be black, why is that his problem? That was something America brought on him, he was seen as a black man so what else is he supposed to do?

I think there are some people who post on this forum who only like to keep fanning the flames and ask questions that can be viewed as making negative statements. Thankfully there are others who like to debate honestly and with respect for each other. Hopefuly more of those people will chime in more often.

Oh yes 1 more thing. To have a debate like this people have to be willing to let go of their stereotypes, their old fashioned thinking and keeping an open mind. I'm wiling to, I wonder if it will happen.
Where have you been? The Duke lacrosse players being drug through the mud by them was just last year as was their flaming support of the Jena 6. They know how much discord they cause and they are only biding their time trying to get Obama in and then they'll have a field day. They are never far away. They just lie in wait for the next thing they can blow out of proportion and pin on the white people.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:10 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
The definition of racism from Dictionary.com is this:
  1. <LI minmax_bound="true">The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
  2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
Just b/c someone says something negative about a person does not make them racist. There are many issues that are prevalent to blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and even white but if you point them out, you are labeled racist. And by definition that's not racism. That's the problem with people out here on this forum. If you are not sitting around the camp fire singing Kumbyah holding hands and singing the praises of Obama, you are a racist plain and simple and it's not true.
Did you notice i said if somebody says something racist, not if someone says something negative.

I know what the defintion of racist is and i don't need you to provide a defintion of it from the dictionary for me. Thank you

Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,016 times
Quote:
Where have you been? The Duke lacrosse players being drug through the mud by them was just last year as was their flaming support of the Jena 6. They know how much discord they cause and they are only biding their time trying to get Obama in and then they'll have a field day. They are never far away. They just lie in wait for the next thing they can blow out of proportion and pin on the white people.
If what they tried to do with the Jena 6 wasn't racist, then what is? The problem with some of you is that you REFUSE to acknowledge any actions as racist even if there is ample evidence it is.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:19 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:

Al and Jessie and what they have done in the past. Since they have silent for so long shouldn't the focus be away from them?
Al and Jesse are in the news all the time 'preaching'.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Last year you said? Last year would be in the past wouldn't it?

Yes, the Duke lacross thing was bad...but how about talking about the corrupt DA who went ahead with the charges even though there was big time doubt in the story? I don't think Al & Jessie were convincing him to do it. He did it for votes. Why keep bringing up the past? If we don't want to discuss what happened 40 years ago, then we shouldn't focus on the past right?

So let me ask this question as well? If these two racists as you say can't wait for Obama to get into the White House so they can have a field day, then what are the White people who are racist feeling? that when a White man gets into the white house they will have a field day?

Old 04-10-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Al and Jesse are in the news all the time 'preaching'.
Oh really? Well maybe I missed their last appearance times, when was the last time they were preacing?

Old 04-10-2008, 07:25 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Oh really? Well maybe I missed their last appearance times, when was the last time they were preacing?

YouTube - the "lynch Tiger" situation

Right there, Al Sharpton was right there on the spot. Once again, exactly what has been stated above, they make us afraid to say words even when we in no way mean them to be racist.

Al and Jesse are just examples for this post, i'm pretty sure the OP isn't fully directing his comment at Al and Jesse but more along the lines of their thinking and how sickening it is.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

YouTube - the "lynch Tiger" situation

Right there, Al Sharpton was right there on the spot. Once again, exactly what has been stated above, they make us afraid to say words even when we in no way mean them to be racist.

Al and Jesse are just examples for this post, i'm pretty sure the OP isn't fully directing his comment at Al and Jesse but more along the lines of their thinking and how sickening it is.
OK well I stand corrected on that...

So you mention Al & Jesse's line of thinking...let me ask this:

There are still people around who were alive during the civil rights era and maybe shared the views that the laws stated at that time. do they still have those same views? Can they and their sickening views be blamed on the race problems still existing today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies