Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baby Boomers, do you think things were better politically in the 50's and 60's?
Yes 41 68.33%
No 14 23.33%
Undecided 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 07:42 PM

937 posts, read 926,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Americans were more united back then (if you were white and not Irish) even though the two parties still had differences. There wasn't violence between them, name calling threats and outright hatred between them for the most part. WTH happened?
I'm not even so sure that last statement is true.

We didn't have as effective record keeping of events during the 50's and 60's as we do today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 07:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Only because Putin is the kind of leader they like.
I never tire of " Big Vladdy"

Big Vladdy - Semi-Delusional Autocrats - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Video Clip) | Comedy Central

Old 03-08-2019, 07:50 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The fifties and sixties were massively different decades, as we Baby Boomers grew up into a changed world. Music, urban violence, civil rights, Viet Nam, the Beatles, political assassinations, feminism, the War on Poverty - none of these were around in the fifties or were just starting to appear (integration of schools was an early aspect of the civil rights movement) but all were highly significant during the Sixties.

So I can't really answer this poll. The Fifties were calmer, certainly, with some exceptions - the Sixties were tumultuous, to borrow a good word from the above poster. But while the changes of the Sixties were often hard to witness and/or live through, they changed this country and the world in ways that were not always comfortable but which were necessary for the most part.
50's were calmer?

Depended on your gender, race and geography.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:36 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Hey, weren't we all living Dennis the Menace lives? With the white picket fences?

I have to admit that I did have a childhood like that. BUT, living near Philly and having relatives as well as others I knew (Dad owned a small factory), I was under NO illusion that my situation was normal. This is why "feelings" and anecdotes are not a good metric for such things.

I remember being in my teens and riding the "El" (elevated train) through W. Philly - from the station and train high above the road AS FAR AS YOU COULD SEE (many miles) was a complete and utter poverty-stricken ghetto. And that was just one small part of it.

Sure, such things exist even today....but there is at least some hope among many in comparison.

Vietnam was a BIG DEAL....for poor white and black folks. It traumatized an entire generation or more. As others have mentioned, JFK, RFK, MLK.....bang bang, then Nixon and his crookedness.

One think that is completely irrefutable. The American Public in the last 1960's or early 1970's would not put up with Trump - they would occupy DC by the 100's of thousands regularly until something was done. Heck, Republicans wouldn't have put up with it.

So, in that sense, either the population has become jaded or complacent. Or more crooked themselves, so therefore more willing to dismiss it.

It would only be a guess for me to pick which since - as other have noted - the science of polling and statistics was not in vogue as much back then.

Even those living today who were not of age have seen an almost instant decline into accepting things that would just not cut it - even a decade or two ago.

Now the public seems to have "selective ethical standards". For about 35% of the country, their perceived end (which won't happen anyway) is worth ANY means. These people have teamed up with others who want chaos, anarchy or just plain money......to present a "united front" against Power to the People.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:38 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
One think that is completely irrefutable. The American Public in the last 1960's or early 1970's would not put up with Trump - they would occupy DC by the 100's of thousands regularly until something was done. Heck, Republicans wouldn't have put up with it.
They would have never elected a Black man for President either nor nominated the estranged wife of a disgraced President to run as President. Your point?

Old 03-08-2019, 09:11 PM

30,349 posts, read 19,122,995 times
I don't think they were better. You still had racist Democrats (just like today) that were racist against blacks but who are now racist against whites....so no change for the Democrats, just switched colors. Republicans were neutral on race then and now...nothing's changed.

MLK, JFK, and bobby Kennedy were assassinated and JFK almost got us into a thermonuclear war. Nixon resigned under pressure but shouldn't have. We were involved in a stupid war...again, I'm not thinking now is worse.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:20 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
50's were calmer?

Depended on your gender, race and geography.
And your age. I was (barely) thirteen when the fifties ended.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:31 AM

3,623 posts, read 3,403,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
50’s and 60’s? Nonsense. It was the digital age that poisoned politics. When Internet usage became a common practice, and the 24 hr news networks appeared, politics went to hell in a hand basket. When we can’t even agree what a common “truth” is, there is a problem.

/thread
Agree. Back in the day, when we had a half-hour news broadcast at 6:00 pm, and another half-hour at 11:00 pm, we got the news. There was no time for opinion. People made up their own minds, based on factual news from sources they trusted.

Now, we have 24-hour news networks, which have to fill their time somehow, and they do so with opinion. Couple this with forums like this one, and others, and Twitter and Facebook, and anybody can post their opinion (or repeat a taking head from a "news" channel) at anytime. It's not that there is no more hard factual news--there is. But it still only takes a half-hour. The rest of the day, we get opinion.

Opinion is not news. Perhaps things were better in the 50s and 60s, simply because there were so few opportunities, time-wise, to disguise opinion as news. There's only so much you can present in a half-hour, after all; and if you are a news program faced with only thirty minutes--well, you present the news. Maybe weather and sports, too, but nothing else.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:45 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Americans were more united back then even though the two parties still had differences. There wasn't violence between them, name calling threats and outright hatred between them for the most part. WTH happened?

My feelings exactly. There were always political differences and debates, but never to the degree we are seeing today. There was a different tone to the way people thought and behaved, and , in a lot of ways, we had more class back then. We were a little more aware of other people's feelings and we respected them.

Was it utopian ? Absolutely not. Blacks were not treated well, women were 2nd class citizens, and we were not very accepting of people of other nationalities. But overall, it was a kinder, more gentle time. And then the Vietnam war came along and the country changed for the worse. The mid 60's became a very tumultuous time and America was no longer Mayberry, or Ozzie and Harriet.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:57 AM

33,302 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They would have never elected a Black man for President either nor nominated the estranged wife of a disgraced President to run as President. Your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies