Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Presidents to disclose their tax returns?
Yes 105 58.01%
No 73 40.33%
Undecided 3 1.66%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 02:41 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Look if I hire you as an employee, I would want to know everything about you. If I vote for you which means I've hired you to run our great country, I would want to know everything about you. That includes if you've cheated our country by not paying your taxes, or if you have some suspicious ties to foreign governments. If you're going to be president, we need full transparency. If you have something to hide? Don't bother running.
First of all, as an employer, you are not entitled to many things I have, tax returns are one of them.

Second of all, the government already has Trump's and everyone's tax returns, as they are a product of the government, for the government. If they did not find any issue, you Joe Public sure as hell are not either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 02:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If you do apply for a job with the Defense Department you are subject to some pretty invasive scrutiny. It’s the nature of the job. Projecting the standards of any other job onto it is silly.
Actually no, only if you are getting a secret and above clearance. Many positions in the DoD have no clearance. Even if all of them had a clearanc,e that does not mean they disclose to the public their tax returns, the gov simply pings the IRS for them.

At that, the government has access to everyone's tax returns, including Trump's, the discussion here is disclosure to the public. Those who need to know already have reviewed Trump's returns.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:56 PM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
First off, if you were to hire me as an employee, you aren't entitled to know everything about me. That is, some things are private and are protected by law.

Second, if you don't feel as if the person(s) running for office haven't exposed enough privately protected information to your liking, you don't have to vote for them and "hire them to run our great country." In Trump's case, he chose not to disclose his tax returns before the election, and he still won and was voted into office despite of it.

Third, our great country has a constitution and a set of laws that dictates who can or can't run as well as which requirements each candidate must meet. You're not a king or a dictator who gets to choose what private information must be released to you.
Trump was not being honest, he claimed he was being audited and I think some people actually believed that was true. There has never really been a debate on release of returns until now, every president since Nixon has released their returns.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:12 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Trump was not being honest, he claimed he was being audited and I think some people actually believed that was true. There has never really been a debate on release of returns until now, every president since Nixon has released their returns.
Link to IRS or other information stateing that he wasn't being audited?

Either way, it's a moot point if presidents voluntarily released tax returns or other personal and protected information. Just because other felt comfortable doing so does not mean that Trump is obligated to do the same...

And no, tax returns might not have been a hot topic until Trump; however, the subject and debate on whether a president should have to release other private information has been going on for a while now...

Old 03-09-2019, 04:20 PM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Link to IRS or other information stateing that he wasn't being audited?

Either way, it's a moot point if presidents voluntarily released tax returns or other personal and protected information. Just because other felt comfortable doing so does not mean that Trump is obligated to do the same...

And no, tax returns might not have been a hot topic until Trump; however, the subject and debate on whether a president should have to release other private information has been going on for a while now...

Trump back in 2016;

“I’m under a routine audit and it'll be released, and as soon as the audit is finished it will be released."

I don't think it should be mandatory but every president since Nixon has released their returns, even the Clintons that he claims are so corrupt. He is not obligated but he most certainly has a reason not to be transparent, a little honest on his part would be refreshing.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:42 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,339 times
If trump runs again and still refuses to release his tax returns it's gonna hurt him.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:42 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Why stop there? Maybe they should also disclose their bank statements, browser history, phone records, attorney conversations, vacation photos, and their medical records. Just go ahead and toss all their personal rights out the window.

I think that's a good idea, it would definitely thin the herd.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:49 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
The US Constitution does not list this as a requirement to be President.

So the answer is no.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:57 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Yes, I want a full background check for the highest postion of government.
Background check? Since when are background checks made public? If I were being hired to do a job and the co many did a background check on me I would expect the results to be confidential. Confidential isn't what the left wants in this case. They want a very public circus. That is my issue with legislating people to disclose to the public private information. What's next, medical history?

Old 03-09-2019, 05:15 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
That doesn't make any sense.

And why wait 8 years for every politician? Why not make them release their tax returns every year after taking office?
it does to Toyman.............. because the twisted logic of 8 years would protect individual 1, the unindicted co conspirator....

For Trump supporters it is all about protecting trump...
One interesting stat is that Trump has 80% support from republicans and over 30% of republicans believe Trump committed crimes prior to being POTUS.....

so they support him despite believing he was or is involved in criminal activities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies