Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 12:44 PM

293 posts, read 121,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
these attacks against "ideas" are almost always (really, it is hard if not impossible to separate things to bring about the change some seek) tied to the institution or people leading the institution.
Ideas mostly live in people's minds, yes

Quote:
You fight against ideas by supporting legislation preventing discrimination on account of sexuality (for example), by speaking out against them generally, etc. You don't attack ideas by personally attacking people and institutions holding these ideas, by trying to shame the institutions into submission.
Shame the ideas into submission

These are terrible and nonsensical ideas that are upended, for most people, with the simplest of logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 12:52 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I am not religious, and I do support the right of gay people to marry, but what did the parents expect? The school will be teaching the child that his/her own family is a sin, an abomination. What would it be like for a child to have their teachers and school opposed to their own parents? It's not like the child was already a student, who had a relationship with the teacher and their classmates, and was suddenly yanked from the classroom. They have the option of public school so it's not like a child is being denied an education. I don't know why any gay person would support that church anyway.
I attended Catholic School in the 80s and 90s, and not once did we talk about gay people.

It was actually an incredibly secular curriculum outside of a weekly mass attendance and religion class every few days.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:17 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I attended Catholic School in the 80s and 90s, and not once did we talk about gay people.

It was actually an incredibly secular curriculum outside of a weekly mass attendance and religion class every few days.
Gay marriage/adoption wasn't the law of the land in the 80s and 90s like it is now. Maybe your school didn't feel the need to address it because the gay community was still marginalized and undercover. Obviously this school feels differently.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:19 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Gay marriage/adoption wasn't the law of the land in the 80s and 90s like it is now. Maybe your school didn't feel the need to address it because the gay community was still marginalized and undercover. Obviously this school feels differently.
Certainly true to some extent. But I don't think the school I attended changed their curriculum, which was pretty much the same as other non-religious schools.

I wouldn't send my child to a religious school either way, though. I see no reason to even deal with those possibilities.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:19 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
I was in a catholic school a couple years ago for my job. As I was walking down the hall, I passed a classroom where the teacher was talking about gay marriage. I can't remember exactly what he said but I remember stopping in my tracks & thinking "they really are teaching anti gay marriage to the students". I got out of there as fast as I could.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:17 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Very fair points. Surround yourself with people that have similar views and beliefs as you. Don't try to force or shame others to change as it will rarely work. And, in many cases, it will backfire. Note, its one thing to fight to government to treat people with dignity, equality, etc., but this is a private organization.
So what? It's about free choice and those kids will run up against different culture soon enough once they enter the work force. Once a person gets their foundation down he secular world has little influence but some secularists can't have that now can they? Bottom line is we are still a free country so we don't have a one size fits all like the communist countries.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I was in a catholic school a couple years ago for my job. As I was walking down the hall, I passed a classroom where the teacher was talking about gay marriage. I can't remember exactly what he said but I remember stopping in my tracks & thinking "they really are teaching anti gay marriage to the students". I got out of there as fast as I could.
Where as if you were in a public school you would hear the teacher supporting gay marriage, abortion, how to put on a condemn, how sex outside of marriage is good, etc, etc, etc.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:22 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Where as if you were in a public school you would hear the teacher supporting gay marriage, abortion, how to put on a condemn, how sex outside of marriage is good, etc, etc, etc.
The fact that you don’t know how to spell condom speaks volumes.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:23 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Not things we teach in public school. Sorry. You will find us supporting tolerance, though.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
The fact that you don’t know how to spell condom speaks volumes.
The fact that you do speaks volumes lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies