Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 12:33 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,977,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
If anyone read the Rev.'s letter it might shed a little light on his approach to this. Like it or not there are rules in the Catholic church that they must follow and the diocese is in control and none of this will change overnight. No matter how much you want it to do so.
67% of Catholics are OK with same sex marriage. That's 2/3 for those of you who prefer fractions. Overnight was over long ago.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 12:47 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,121,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
And I could recommend books that say the opposite.
Not even an attempt to rebut any of the points I’ve made. But I would love to hear about the books you’re talking about.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:50 AM

23,653 posts, read 17,419,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Not even an attempt to rebut any of the points I’ve made. But I would love to hear about the books you’re talking about.
You will need to start another thread for that, I don't want to hijack this one.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:26 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,821,384 times
Quote:
Doctrine has never changed nor will ever change since it's based on Christ's words.
Please point out to me where Christ said it was a sin to eat meat on Friday.

And then point out to me what changed about Christ's words that suddenly it was no longer a sin to eat meat on Friday.

Church doctrine changes all the time. And it has absolutely nothing to do with Christ's words. It has to do with the caprice of men.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:19 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,977,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post

And then point out to me what changed about Christ's words that suddenly it was no longer a sin to eat meat on Friday.

Church doctrine changes all the time. And it has absolutely nothing to do with Christ's words. It has to do with the caprice of men.
All church doctrine changes, because the men who write the doctrine change their minds. All doctrines of all religions are entirely man made.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:24 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,621,889 times
Quote:
Doctrine has never changed nor will ever change since it's based on Christ's words.
This right here is reason enough to keep your kid out of catholic school - apparently, history is not well-taught.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:33 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,621,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I think this is a big "So what?"

It's a religious school. The doctrine of that religion doesn't favor same sex marriage. Why would any intelligent set of parents, with their child's interest in mind, want the youngster to go to a school that will teach values that conflict with their own?

Unless the parents are attention wh... grabbers.

Pretty sure schools sponsored by other denominations would likewise decline a student for similar reasons. Not just Christian ones, either.
The story cited in the OP says that some catholic schools do accept the children of same-sex couples. As do other religious schools, even though they do not accept same-sex marriage.

It’s at least possible that the couple in question knew this. They might be religious themselves. So I don’t think you can assume that their only reason was a desire for publicity.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:46 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,821,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The story cited in the OP says that some catholic schools do accept the children of same-sex couples. As do other religious schools, even though they do not accept same-sex marriage.

It’s at least possible that the couple in question knew this. They might be religious themselves. So I don’t think you can assume that their only reason was a desire for publicity.
I concur with this. I left the Church as a teen, but I admit I sent my kids to Catholic schools because we lived in Chicago and the public schools were horrendous. The school my children would have gone to was so overcrowded that many classes were held in modular classrooms outside the building. Sending them there had zero to do with religion and everything to do with the quality of education.

Coincidentally, my daughter was the first student in the school's history who refused to be confirmed because she didn't believe in it. They forced her to talk to the pastor by herself and explain her reasons. I was proud of her for being able to think for herself and to not be afraid to stick to her beliefs. Even the pastor was impressed by that.

She was a straight A student who was there for the education, but resisted the indoctrination. Neither of my children remained in the church once they graduated from high school.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post

That was never a doctrine.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
This right here is reason enough to keep your kid out of catholic school - apparently, history is not well-taught.
The bible is not taught in public school which is a shame since people don't know what it says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies