Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I certainly agree that the decision is theirs alone.

But I would like to see this go to the SC just to see what they have to say about it.
Not sure why it would go there. Libel\Slander laws are pretty well established.

What happened here is nothing new in the internet era where rushing to report and ESPECIALLY if you can make the story about Trump creates ratings buzz.

They got fast and sloppy (aka negligent) which doesn't have to be intentional to be a viable lawsuit.

The pile-on commentary by some of the "infotainers" sure didn't help matters either.

We've had a lot of people posting dishonest talking points about how "opinion" is fully protected....it isn't.
Also people making claims that the media has to be shown to be acting to intentionally harm....nope, that's not true either.

In short people have been getting bad partisan information and then regurgitating it without thought.

Hey look! They didn't learn anything from Covington after all. Heck, we still have nutjobs claiming the kids were the aggressors etc. I mean seriously, that's nuts.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:54 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
He's not gonna win this case.
Why specifically do you feel this is the case?

Careful, there is A LOT of bad info out there, especially partisan places.

From what I've read, they've got enough of a case to call it unwinnable at this juncture is extremely premature.

However, I'm all ears as to what is the fatal flaw that dooms this case already.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:35 PM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not sure why it would go there. Libel\Slander laws are pretty well established.

What happened here is nothing new in the internet era where rushing to report and ESPECIALLY if you can make the story about Trump creates ratings buzz.

They got fast and sloppy (aka negligent) which doesn't have to be intentional to be a viable lawsuit.

The pile-on commentary by some of the "infotainers" sure didn't help matters either.

We've had a lot of people posting dishonest talking points about how "opinion" is fully protected....it isn't.
Also people making claims that the media has to be shown to be acting to intentionally harm....nope, that's not true either.

In short people have been getting bad partisan information and then regurgitating it without thought.

Hey look! They didn't learn anything from Covington after all. Heck, we still have nutjobs claiming the kids were the aggressors etc. I mean seriously, that's nuts.
They (CNN, WaPo, etc) aren't the only ones playing fast and loose these days. I'd like to see how far this ruling goes. I'm not a law person. Will (or can) a lower court ruling set precedence for the entire nation? Could this challenge the limits of what is acceptable in journalism?

Old 07-26-2019, 11:05 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Nick Sandmann lawsuit against Washington Post dismissed by judge

The $250 million lawsuit filed by Nick Sandmann against the Washington Post has been dismissed by a federal judge.

U.S. District Judge William Bertelsman, who heard oral arguments earlier this month, issued the ruling on Friday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ni...cid=spartanntp

Old 07-27-2019, 12:11 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Nick Sandmann lawsuit against Washington Post dismissed by judge

The $250 million lawsuit filed by Nick Sandmann against the Washington Post has been dismissed by a federal judge.

U.S. District Judge William Bertelsman, who heard oral arguments earlier this month, issued the ruling on Friday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ni...cid=spartanntp
Yep, this is exactly what many here on CD predicted would happen! I thought he would get something, maybe like $10K settlement, but I have a feeling, he was probably offered a significant settlement in the beginning and his parents probably encouraged him to reject it.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:22 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
I still wish that old Indian had coldcocked him right in that smug face of his.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:24 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times
If I were his parents I would have been furious at him, for the way he smirked and acted so disrespectful to the Older
Indian Gentleman.
I would have grounded him and insist he make a public apology.

The fact that instead of talking to their Son/grounding him, the parents sued speaks volumes.
Now I see why he acts the way he does/did.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
If I were his parents I would have been furious at him, for the way he smirked and acted so disrespectful to the Older
Indian Gentleman.
I would have grounded him and insist he make a public apology.

The fact that instead of talking to their Son/grounding him, the parents sued speaks volumes.
Now I see why he acts the way he does/did.
Yep. You can tell that he’s s punk just by looking at him.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I still wish that old Indian had coldcocked him right in that smug face of his.
Yes, I feel the same way, I can definitely see why so many people assumed Snadmann was to blame here, unfortunately for him, he has 'one of those faces' where it appears like he is being smug (when he really is not), its not his fault or anything, but its something he should recognize by now at his age.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:52 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
They should have arrested the racist old fool and his racists a-hole friends that approached and bullied Nick Sandman. It's a shame there was no adult to defend these children from this racist thug. Someone should have shoved that little dimestore tom-tom up his azz.

So far-it's only one judge-appeal to a higher court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies