Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 11:02 AM

5,976 posts, read 2,230,582 times

Advertisements

This is what I see, if only 100 spots are available to freshman class and many slots are Legacy kids, Sports scholarships, and Paid for w/ Money. How many does that actually leave for everyone else?

Seems like 10-20 slots are left for everyone else annually. Not much for the rest of us Low Life's outside the 1%. This also affects people's perceived effect of Affirmative Action, seems like there is little actual AA going on, just good ole Money = Admission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 11:20 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,804,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
This is what I see, if only 100 spots are available to freshman class and many slots are Legacy kids, Sports scholarships, and Paid for w/ Money. How many does that actually leave for everyone else?

Seems like 10-20 slots are left for everyone else annually. Not much for the rest of us Low Life's outside the 1%. This also affects people's perceived effect of Affirmative Action, seems like there is little actual AA going on, just good ole Money = Admission.
USC has an incoming freshman class of more than 3000 every year. They are not all purchased spots. LOL

People are taking this and running with it way past the point of logic. This was a scam that involved passing off low performing rich kids as athletes so they could take spots as WALK ONS on college sports teams, then feign injury once in. Walk ons do not get scholarships and your average coach does not have an unlimited amount of those designations to give away. There's only so many that could be let in that way a year.

The vast majority of kids at these schools earned their slots.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:41 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,778,054 times
This is pretty interesting to me because my oldest kid is in the college application process.
She has the grades and scores for Stanford, but even when you do, you have about a 5% chance of admittance. She’s going to apply there as her aspirational choice, but with no expectation. It would be like winning the lottery.

Speaking of that, do you really think Stanford has a 26 Billion dollar endowment by educating poor kids?

Old 03-15-2019, 11:45 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,668,142 times
It’s like Trump University... only the degrees actually mean something.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:46 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,121,298 times
Quote:

That's the way it is with jobs and housing too. I worked in the HR field for a number of years at various companies during my career and one thing I noticed was, years ago to justify bringing onboard a candidate who didn't actually have schooling to a position that required some type of college education/degree, instead of hiring those applicants who actually did have college degrees, they'd say that the person was chosen for hire because even though they don't have an "education" they have, something called , "life experience" or "life experience skills".

Another time I worked for a company where two execs worked at the same organization as I. They had a daughter who took just two years of community college and then got a position within the same company where she held a very prestigious position, of course mom and dad were in the office to actually help her maintain the position since she really just took up office space and didn't actually do anything but look pretty. I kid you not, this 22 year old spent at least three hours a day out of the office for lunch and upon returning, showed off all the crap she just purchased at the local malls during lunch time. Lot's of stuff out there happening that would make your head spin.

Last edited by FC76-81; 03-15-2019 at 11:54 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 11:49 AM

5,976 posts, read 2,230,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
USC has an incoming freshman class of more than 3000 every year. They are not all purchased spots. LOL

People are taking this and running with it way past the point of logic. This was a scam that involved passing off low performing rich kids as athletes so they could take spots as WALK ONS on college sports teams, then feign injury once in. Walk ons do not get scholarships and your average coach does not have an unlimited amount of those designations to give away. There's only so many that could be let in that way a year.

True but USC is not in the same category of schools I was thinking of. I agree with you there and it seemed weird that USC was one of the schools. Maybe just a way to stay close to home? I'm in Florida so I don't here a lot about the west coast schools and difficulty of entry to be honest. Outside of Stanford, Berkley, and Cal Tech I think

Old 03-15-2019, 11:57 AM

5,271 posts, read 6,203,820 times
Quote:
True but USC is not in the same category of schools I was thinking of. I agree with you there and it seemed weird that USC was one of the schools. Maybe just a way to stay close to home? I'm in Florida so I don't here a lot about the west coast schools and difficulty of entry to be honest. Outside of Stanford, Berkley, and Cal Tech I think
USC is not on Stanford's level academically but is still a hugely desirable school. I think the kicker might have been that these girls fell close to the admissions standards for USC so that was the top end for them.

To be honest I was more shocked Wake Forest, University of San Diego, Texas and UCLA were on the list- but that probably is just bias on my part. I'm assuming that if its cheating you go big or go home- but maybe the parents were logical about how far they could stretch. And in truth those are schools that are a reach for the majority of students.

I would pay to see a psychologist take apart all of the comments on this thread given how many of these schools are getting dissed, people are insisting presidential children would all but fail out of community college, there seems to be a perception that athletes get in with a 1.5 and 650 SAT as opposed to the lesser discounts they actually receive....

Old 03-15-2019, 12:01 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,494,187 times
I wonder how many of these Hollywood actors are liberals who defend affirmative action to give a poor kid a leg up over a middle class kid - all while bribing officials to make sure their snowflakes get in.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:01 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,804,437 times
Quote:
Oh I see. I think in the Ivies the smallest incoming class might be Harvard, but generally with the exception of the huge ones (Cornell, UPenn and Columbia) the incoming classes are around a thousand-ish students give or take a few hundred. Most of the smaller Ivies don't have a lot of Division 1 sport teams and when they do, they are in things like rowing or laccrosse. Typically if you are not Division 1 you don't have free run with who you let on the team. I'm sure there are a few exceptions here or there. That said walk-on spots in total are going to be maybe less than 20 per school? It's not a lot. And there are only so many buildings that can be purchased a year LOL, so I don't think more than a handful of students are admitted that way each year either.

I figure at the most you may have rich 30 kids admitted a year who are not academic superstars or athletes, and that's being generous. Out of say 1,200 students that's not an overwhelming number that calls into question the existence of the entire school IMO.

Not that this is not a problem... but I don't think people should think hundreds of kids are taking spots at any individual elite school a year.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:12 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,121,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post

Well, from now on every rich kid, from famous parents, enrolling in these colleges that got caught poking the pouch will now be suspect. That's one thing for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies