Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 07:48 AM

5,271 posts, read 6,203,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No, that's not what's going on. The others who paid less money to gain entry into a school, like Felicity Huffman, agreed to a plea deal that included prison time. The prosecutors won't make a less harsh deal with someone who paid a lot more money.

Once you either take a plea deal or plead guilty / not guilty - it's tough to change that. She's stuck now.

The defense will probably spin some tale saying they were told by Rick Singer that parents do this all the time, they were unaware it was illegal, and thought Singer was acting in good faith and in partnership with the university since the school had a rep (the coach) he was working with. She thinks she can sell it that she's completely innocent, and in her mind, she believes that.

How delusional.

Out of everyone I think Huffman may pull off the no prison time or 2 week stint. Simply because she was contrite and her 10k 'fee' seems to be ridiculously lower than the others. As does only having one service as opposed to some of the others all but remade the children. Some of these folks faked SATs/ACTs, bribed for athletic preference, then faked actual activities, so on and insanity. If Huffman gets time Loughlin and husband have to get multiple times that amount. There actually tooked posed photos for a sport their child does not compete... I can't even be angry. At one point I almost felt poorly that they threw away such a good life (which does not mean they don't deserve punishment, simply that I have empathy.) At this point- I am glued to Team Aunt Becky for comedy sake alone. How does she explain the stage photos, 20 emails, threatening a high school guidance counselor, a 500k 'donation,' and repeating it for two different children?

I am imagining a witness stand performance in line with Glenn Close in Cookie's Fortune or Kathleen Turner in Serial Mom. And I am so there for that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 08:07 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,804,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Out of everyone I think Huffman may pull off the no prison time or 2 week stint. Simply because she was contrite and her 10k 'fee' seems to be ridiculously lower than the others. As does only having one service as opposed to some of the others all but remade the children. Some of these folks faked SATs/ACTs, bribed for athletic preference, then faked actual activities, so on and insanity. If Huffman gets time Loughlin and husband have to get multiple times that amount. There actually tooked posed photos for a sport their child does not compete... I can't even be angry. At one point I almost felt poorly that they threw away such a good life (which does not mean they don't deserve punishment, simply that I have empathy.) At this point- I am glued to Team Aunt Becky for comedy sake alone. How does she explain the stage photos, 20 emails, threatening a high school guidance counselor, a 500k 'donation,' and repeating it for two different children?

I am imagining a witness stand performance in line with Glenn Close in Cookie's Fortune or Kathleen Turner in Serial Mom. And I am so there for that!
In her world it's probably not unusual for parents to pull strings to get their kids in the "right" opportunities. If everyone around you is doing something it may cause you to lose touch with the fact that's some of these tactics are ACTUALLY illegal, and not just in a "it's illegal but not serious" kind of way like jaywalking or littering.

In other words, she has entitlment blinders on.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:34 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post

LOL - funny thought.

I agree that Huffman will have minimum prison time with the plea deal. When you accept a plea deal you have to show remorse and admit what you did was wrong, so I'm not surprised by her public statement. The lesser known people would have also had to write a statement to present to the court/judge, as well, only they're not getting media attention.

The prosecutors are saying they'll ask for minimum sentencing for Huffman, which is 4 - 10 months. Her attorney may ask for more leniency and end up with no time, as you state. He or she will probably cite the public humiliation and potential loss of income, etc. as being punishment enough.

The only thing I can think of with Lori Loughlin and her husband is that the plea deal involved several years in prison and the thought of that pushed them to take a chance on going to trial. I think it's a bad move, but their attorney would have advised them of possible strategy.

Can you imagine building your whole life and brand and then having it shot to hell because of a dumb move? It's never worth it.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:40 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
In her world it's probably not unusual for parents to pull strings to get their kids in the "right" opportunities. If everyone around you is doing something it may cause you to lose touch with the fact that's some of these tactics are ACTUALLY illegal, and not just in a "it's illegal but not serious" kind of way like jaywalking or littering.

In other words, she has entitlment blinders on.
I think this is going to be the defense used - that they figured it was normal practice and thought it was okay since they were working with someone within the University.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:41 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,499,271 times
Quote:
I think this is going to be the defense used - that they figured it was normal practice and thought it was okay since they were working with someone within the University.
Affluenza! It worked for the schmucky kid in Texas.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,813,201 times
Quote:
If they thought it was "normal" practice then why didn't they advertise it on their social media platforms????
That would seem to be all they do--market themselves and shill for sponsors. Thus they should have been touting their method for capturing two spots at USC for such poorly qualified daughters...

Old 04-16-2019, 08:49 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,813,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Partially but he and his mom screwed up and think they both r in jail now

Old 04-16-2019, 08:51 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,499,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Partially but he and his mom screwed up and think they both r in jail now
Naw, he’s been out since last year. I really despise that kid.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:51 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,634,228 times
Quote:
Massimo's company is probably doomed with a longer prison sentence.
How does a company spend time in prison?

Old 04-16-2019, 08:55 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,865,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
This, exactly. Loughlin has been remarkably cavalier about this whole thing precisely because she is afflicted with affluenza. Her sense of privileged entitlement through this whole thing has had me rooting for a substantial prison sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies