Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 06:35 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Works for me, if I have to take a drug test for my income (employment) then they should be required to test for their income.

That would be my opinion on the matter, if the people paying taxes to support welfare are subject to testing so should the recipient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 06:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That would be my opinion on the matter, if the people paying taxes to support welfare are subject to testing so should the recipient.
The people who are paying the taxes are not subject to drug testing by the government.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Florida caught less than 1% on Welfare.

That's because the vast majority of denials were because they refused the test. You can't fail a test you don't take. There is also going to be a unaccounted number of people that never applied because of the testing.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Many conservatives certainly feel a need to get back at poor people for being poor and wanting to get on welfare. Requiring drug tests is a well favored way do it, even if it does cost taxpayer money. The drug test companies will pay off the conservative politicians who make the requirement possible. And a lot of conservatives voters feel a need to get back at the poor as well, so they vote to keep the paid off politicians in. All in all everybody is happy, except for those disgusted taxpayers who see through the scheme.

Interesting how conservative politicians haven't come up with a required test for alcoholism. Surely they think all people on welfare head straight for the liquor store, if not the drug pusher first. Don't know how a test for alcohol would work. Probably most poor people have better sense than to show up drunk for their welfare.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:48 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
As noted before, the politicians trying to pass these laws aren't subjected to drug tests themselves.

Anyone else have a problem with that? I know I do.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Many conservatives certainly feel a need to get back at poor people for being poor and wanting to get on welfare.

Hard working people find themselves in situations where they need assistance all the time and they may not even be classified as poor. There is nothing wrong with temporarily giving people a helping hand when they find themselves in bad situation. If you have the money to spend on recreational drugs especially something like pot where you clearly have made choice to use it instead of addiction you are demonstrating to me you don't need my help.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How is it good, when its costing more than what they would save, to do all the testing?

I think ultimately this will just create a bunch of new drug dealers...if they get their income cut off suddenly they are going to do the next easiest thing to continue bringing money in, since they are already using drugs, its not difficult to make the jump to selling, in fact thats how many low level addicts support their own habits, they are just addicts themselves.
Except...it doesn't. The claim that detractors make is that "only X% tested positive for drugs". What they don't mention is that the number of claims dropped significantly. The people that wouldn't bother to clean up for test, didn't TAKE the test and hence took themselves off the handout rolls. Thereby saving the taxpayers.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:02 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
I'm for ending the program completely except for the elderly and the legit disabled.

*maybe a WIC type program for children.

Last edited by LLCNYC; 03-12-2019 at 07:19 PM..

Old 03-12-2019, 07:04 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
A person who makes 50K pays in about $7 per year into SNAP, food stamps. Big deal. Why do people get so whipped up about this? I would much rather pay money so people can eat than buy another bomb. I don't understand the whole vilify the poor and give money to the rich philosophy.

Several states have done this and it has been proven to be a worthless endeavor that costs money.
Why should someone that works every day and makes that $50k per year have to pass a drug test in order to work...but people receiving the results of his efforts don't? Or looking at it another way-why should he have to work and have the results of his efforts go to enable druggies? If they have the discretionary income to afford drugs-they don't need welfare.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:24 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Good. After other states implemented this, the number of people collecting food stamps dropped precipitously. Seems like they wouldn't give up their drugs long enough to clean up and pass a pee test. In other words they liked their drugs more than their handouts. Win-win.
Do you have a link for that? I looked all over and can't find any source/study that claims that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies