Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 07:34 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Will be getting another "assault" rifle next month...…..AK-47, which we all know means Assault Kill-47. Can't wait!

AK-47 stands for Russian Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947 (Automatic Kalashnikov 1947). Designed by Russian Mikhail Kalashnikov, it was the assault rifle used by most Eastern Bloc countries during the Cold War. The rifle was adopted and standardized in 1947, thus the name.Aug 9, 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 07:34 AM

24,458 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I agree OP that there is no such thing as an assault weapon unless you are describing the battle ax you are using to storm that castle with.. The proper term is sporting rifle but the anti gunner Left doesn't care. The term "assault weapon" rolls out of their criticizing mouths easier than "icky black scary gun".

The problem with the very popular sporting rifles is the same reasons that people enjoy shooting them. They are accurate with low recoil, light weight, relatively inexpensive, they can carry many bullets and they look cool. Of course those maniacs that are looking to murder as many people as possible as quickly as possible are also attracted to them. What many anti gunners don't understand or won't admit is that it is not so much the gun but the warped mind of the maniac mass shooter. If they take away the sporting rifles from millions of law abiding responsible gun owners the maniac will turn to another tool to murder such as a truck driven onto a busy sidewalk, pipe bombs or how about bringing a machete onto a school bus loaded with little kids.

There is no real answer to combating insanity beyond locking them up, giving the Police enough man power and funds to keep on top of would be dangerous people and bringing greater security to the so called soft targets which are often touted as "gun free zones".

We cannot legislate evil out of our society while letting evil continue to walk among us.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:35 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I’m pretty educated and don’t need to read more regurgitated nra horse crap.

And Angry, yes let’s open a bottle of wine, light some candles and have a 3 hour discussion about how silly people are who don’t know the difference between clips and magazines, and how intellectually superior you are because you do. Vocabulary is so exciting.
Words do have meaning. Unless of course you think a guy with bolt ons is a chick.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
All righty, lets be precise. When Gene Stoner designed the AR15,it was expressly with military applications in mind. It was a weapon built with the intent of being taken into the field by troops and killing enemy soldiers.
But you gun huggers want to hide behind hunting, or sport shooting and don’t want to admit that, when a person takes an AR15 into a school or movie theater and mows down innocent people, it is being used EXACTLY how it’s designers intended it to be used. It’s a tool you will now say, yes it is and it’s a tool that does a good job of what it’s built to do.
Stoner had school shootings in mind with his invention? Jesus H.

The Federal Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 defined certain firearms as assault weapons based on the features they possessed. This included semi-automatic rifles with a detachable magazine and at least two of these features: a pistol grip, a folding or telescoping stock, a flash suppressor or threaded barrel, a bayonet mount, or a muzzle-mounted grenade launcher. It included semi-automatic pistols with a detachable magazine and at least two of these features: a magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip, a threaded barrel, a barrel shroud, or an unloaded weight of 50 ounces or more. Additionally defined as assault weapons were semi-automatic shotguns with a rotating cylinder, or with at least two of these features: a pistol grip, a folding or telescoping stock, a detachable magazine, or a fixed magazine that can hold more than five rounds.[11][14]

Really? A shotgun?

Old 03-14-2019, 07:39 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I agree OP that there is no such thing as an assault weapon unless you are describing the battle ax you are using to storm that castle with.. The proper term is sporting rifle but the anti gunner Left doesn't care. The term "assault weapon" rolls out of their criticizing mouths easier than "icky black scary gun".

The problem with the very popular sporting rifles is the same reasons that people enjoy shooting them. They are accurate with low recoil, light weight, relatively inexpensive, they can carry many bullets and they look cool. Of course those maniacs that are looking to murder as many people as possible as quickly as possible are also attracted to them. What many anti gunners don't understand or won't admit is that it is not so much the gun but the warped mind of the maniac mass shooter. If they take away the sporting rifles from millions of law abiding responsible gun owners the maniac will turn to another tool to murder such as a truck driven onto a busy sidewalk, pipe bombs or how about bringing a machete onto a school bus loaded with little kids.

There is no real answer to combating insanity beyond locking them up, giving the Police enough man power and funds to keep on top of would be dangerous people and bringing greater security to the so called soft targets which are often touted as "gun free zones".

We cannot legislate evil out of our society while letting evil continue to walk among us.
And back to vocabulary. You people are like incessant children, exhausting.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:42 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Ah, another vocabulary lesson from a gun hugger.
Nice mix of metaphors.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:51 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/the...sault-weapons/

Quote:
Even if you are anti-gun, I urge you not to use the term “assault weapon.” It exposes your ignorance on a topic against which you are passionately advocating and creates a barrier to constructive policy discussions.
Regardless of which side of the fence you're on, this is a great article

Take a few minutes to educate yourself
Nah. I am a gun owner, and when people say "assault weapon", I know exactly what they are referring to, and I couldn't care less even thought I know they are technically incorrect. I don't expect people to know everything about my hobbies. Some people are so ignorant that they don't even know the difference between inboard/outboard engine and just outboard. Should that upset me? No.

Why should I get upset over what words people choose to use as long as I know what they mean?

Old 03-14-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Nah. I am a gun owner, and when people say "assault weapon", I know exactly what they are referring to, and I couldn't care less even thought I know they are technically incorrect. I don't expect people to know everything about my hobbies. Some people are so ignorant that they don't even know the difference between inboard/outboard engine and just outboard. Should that upset me? No.

Why should I get upset over what words people choose to use as long as I know what they mean?
Well, when a group of people tries to ban your legally owned outboard or make it so you can't buy another one?

Or decides for you that a 2 hp four stroke is the only motor you can own. If you are caught with an I/O you are now an instant felon.

That's the truth of the matter now in many States.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:56 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
And back to vocabulary. You people are like incessant children, exhausting.

Here's the thing....

If you don't care about the accuracy of the facts that you're basing your opinions on......

How can you expect the people who you're attempting to persuade to take you seriously?

Otherwise, your just preaching to the choir at best or spreading misinformed opinions as facts to your low information brethren at worst.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:57 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
How so chuckles?

By not using what something is actually called in a conversation? Pretty simple...but as we can see...

This is your argument:

I hate that thingy.....
You mean that rifle....
Yea, I hate that thingy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies