Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 11:15 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
And we did, so now you're complaining that the fix is ruining the thing you used to like.

You have some strange ideas bouncing around inside your head because I said NO SUCH THING!

But post #43 tells me you're very much in the running for the prize.

Last edited by burdell; 03-14-2019 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 11:31 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I fear that you are right. Faced with an equivalent to Pearl Harbor or Nazism today, all too many people in this country would do nothing but whine and complain and protest about how miserable they are and how unfair it all is.

I remember even back just after 9/11, a reporter asked President Bush if he would call on the people to make sacrifices, along the lines of what the civilian population of World War II had to do. He gave an evasive answer about how we were already sacrificing by waiting in longer airport security lines and stuff like that. I suspect that he knew even then that all too many of us simply lacked the fortitude to do what needed to be done. And it certainly hasn't gotten any better since then.
What are you talking about? You people are ready to call it quits on society functioning over men using the women's bathroom, and you're saying other people don't have the fortitude of past generations? Modern Conservatives are some of the weakest-minded people in our generation -- everything that changes is cause for hysteria and end-of-civilization as we know it. Even when it doesn't impact anyone!

More Conservatives believe PC conversation is a bigger threat than polluted water sources. So please stop this nonsense about people not having the fortitude of prior generations. Those generations would be shaking their head about how much crying your ilk does.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You have some strange ideas bouncing around inside your head because I said NO SUCH THING!

But post #43 tells me you're very much in the running for the prize.
You literally just made the point that to make the fix work, we had to "throw everyone who worked their butts off to serve their country under the bus"

Do you not understand how that sentence is you saying we fixed a problem, and now you don't like the results? I can explain it further, but I feel like I really shouldn't have to. Words have meaning.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:50 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? You people are ready to call it quits on society functioning over men using the women's bathroom, and you're saying other people don't have the fortitude of past generations? Modern Conservatives are some of the weakest-minded people in our generation -- everything that changes is cause for hysteria and end-of-civilization as we know it. Even when it doesn't impact anyone!

More Conservatives believe PC conversation is a bigger threat than polluted water sources. So please stop this nonsense about people not having the fortitude of prior generations. Those generations would be shaking their head about how much crying your ilk does.
This.

It's also amazing that the party of "family values" is far more outraged about a stupid Gilette commercial than children locked in cages or children being sexually abused by pastors and priests. And they feel they have the moral authority to FORCE us all to obey them at gunpoint.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:08 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

If we asked ourselves could we do it again we would be faced with the harsh truth. The millennial generation could not do this. They would not all go fight, the ones that would are the ones who actually DID serve in Iraq and Afghanistan. However the vast majority of their generation were back here protesting the Iraq war (just like the boomers did). The same would be true for a world war that may happen in our time. We would find out half of them are pacifists, they would protest instead of serve. They would cry that the war is somehow racist anyway and immoral. Those at home would protest and whine that the launch of the new IPhone was delayed by the war, protest any rationing at all. They would inject race into the discussion claiming blacks were dying in larger numbers than whites. BLM would initiate mass protests nationwide. More Americans would be protesting or rioting than serving in the military. This would continue until enemy troops landed on our shore. This is when the protesting would stop and they would all run and hide. By then it is too late. If Ww2 happened today we would all be speaking German or Japanese.
I disagree with this. I'd like to think that each generation may rise to meet the challenges they face. We have not faced challenges like the Great Depression or WWII since then. The Boomer generation rose to the particular challenges they faced by stopping an unjust war and pushing for civil rights. (By the way there were a lot of pacifists and isolationists who wanted us to stay out of WWII, which changed after Pearl Harbor.)

The US was attacked on 911. This was followed by a great surge in patriotism and unity. It didn't last
long because we then went to war in Iraq. Iraq did not attack us, like Japan did in 1941. Iraq did not attack our close allies, the way Germany did in 1939. I thank all the people who served in Iraq, but this had nothing to do with defending our country.

I know many millenials, and they as a group are as fine young men and women as any preceding generation. I have confidence that they will meet whatever special challenges their generation faces even, god forbid, if it is WWIII.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
You literally just made the point that to make the fix work, we had to "throw everyone who worked their butts off to serve their country under the bus"

Do you not understand how that sentence is you saying we fixed a problem, and now you don't like the results? I can explain it further, but I feel like I really shouldn't have to. Words have meaning.

Explain WHAT? YOUR misinterpretation of what I said? WHERE did I ever say fixing ONE problem meant we should sit back and not worry about others? And no, I don't think you can explain anything as your vision field appears to be limited.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:13 PM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
What circles do you travel in ? If you are hanging around with people that are talking like this...I'd be making some new friends.
Probably close to 90% of the people I know supported Trump and I've never heard anyone calling for the killing of millions.
He lives with his pastor father and obsesses over insignificant right wing loons.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:

If your reading comprehension is so poor you think I in any way suggested any such BS, two words: try harder!

Old 03-14-2019, 12:20 PM

673 posts, read 465,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I have it, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. But, still, I have to say that although the country pulled together wonderfully during WWII, what made America great overall had nothing to do with its military. At the time it was moving steadily toward a hopeful future, with greater economic equality, greater upward mobility, greater educational opportunities, and so on - none of which is the case today.
You are incorrect on all counts.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If your reading comprehension is so poor you think I in any way suggested any such BS, two words: try harder!
You pointed instances of things that were bad and were fixed:
1. Tuskegee airmen,
2. Japanese internment camps,
3. Segregation in the armed forces

Then you said, "But. is that enough reason throw everyone who worked their butts off to serve their country under the bus?"

Your point was that in order to fix the issues that led to the Tuskegee experiments, Japanese internment camps, and segregated armed forces we had to "throw everyone who worked their butts off to serve their country under the bus?"

How am I misreading your point? Since I took the time to explicitly lay out how I'm reading your entire post, I'm expecting the same from you to explain how I'm misreading it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies