Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 08:53 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
And this is the problem. Too few people are willing to excuse and/or make jokes about the president’s threats. There is absolutely nothing funny about his words. They are a very clear attack on our freedom to express dissent without fear of reprisal.
Nonsense. Where were you when the DNC was paying violent agitators to attack Trump supporters, or the mayors of our largest cities were ordering the police to "stand down" and watch as Trump supporters were mobbed , harassed, and beaten?

Give me a break. And that's not even what Trump is talking about. He's saying the most capable people in the country, as civilians, are in his camp. That's what the comment about police and military means. So in the event of civil unrest, the vast majority of those people, aren't going to be rioting and harassing Trump supporters. They will be kicking some A)) though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It’s not nonsense, Waldo. Trump invoked his control of the military and his support by the police to incite fear among those who question him, including other elected officials. It’s outrageous and completely unacceptable.
See above. BTW if you're afraid of the police then don't commit crimes because you will meet them. That includes don't riot, don't block the street or other public spaces, don't interfere in the movement of others, don't interfere in other people's political expression or speech, don't take their property, and in short, behave yourself and keep your hands to yourself and things will be fine.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:12 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,434,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Nonsense. Where were you when the DNC was paying violent agitators to attack Trump supporters, or the mayors of our largest cities were ordering the police to "stand down" and watch as Trump supporters were mobbed , harassed, and beaten?

Give me a break. And that's not even what Trump is talking about. He's saying the most capable people in the country, as civilians, are in his camp. That's what the comment about police and military means. So in the event of civil unrest, the vast majority of those people, aren't going to be rioting and harassing Trump supporters. They will be kicking some A)) though.

See above. BTW if you're afraid of the police then don't commit crimes because you will meet them. That includes don't riot, don't block the street or other public spaces, don't interfere in the movement of others, don't interfere in other people's political expression or speech, don't take their property, and in short, behave yourself and keep your hands to yourself and things will be fine.
Exactly. If you don't want to sleep with the fishes don't buy an aquarium.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:15 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
He always behaves like a disgraceful, unprofessional, un-American piece of crap. Nothing new here.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:17 PM

6,744 posts, read 3,360,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Obama was not afraid of being indicted and arrested once he left office as this turd rightfully is.
If you think Donald Trump is afraid of anything you have been living under a rock for the past two years.

The only reason Obama and his minions are not doing time right now is because he has the media and every branch of government in his back pocket.

Despite having an uphill battle with just about everything, Trump has still accomplished more in two years than Obama did in eight.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The ratification of the original document was not democratic in that only delegates elected by male property holders (women and minorities were excluded from the vote) were allowed to vote. But we fought a war and have gone through various civil and political strife to ensure the vote for all adults, regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, etc. The people and institutions that are responsible for making our laws and amending our constitution, if necessary, are elected by voters of all backgrounds today; voters are free to elect people to change/modify/etc. any part of the Constitution, including the EC. That is what makes the document democratic today.
Did the original Framers run for office? Was there an election held, among property-owning white males throughout the land, to decide who gets to go to the Constitutional Convention?

Let's suppose that it's 1787, and I happen to be very rich, very white, very male, and born in 1740 (so that I meet whatever age-requirements that there may have been)... and I was born in Virginia, or New York, or whatever. I own a newspaper, a brewery, multiple farms, sailing-ships, mills, etc. I'm doing well. I'm prominent. Fantastic! Does that mean that I get to vote for my representative to the Convention? No. Except for in Rhode Island, the delegates to the Constitutional Convention was appointed by their respective states. There was no election - not even among the privileged few.

Didn't like the Constitution? The choices, as of 1789, were (1) shut up and color, or (2) sail for England.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Theres something seriously wrong with the country when the president can threaten the population with
"I can tell you that I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers" and his sheeple just think he's so wonderful.. Wake up fools he is nothing more than a petty dictator/tyrant who is destroying the moral fabric and values of the country.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:48 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Did the original Framers run for office? Was there an election held, among property-owning white males throughout the land, to decide who gets to go to the Constitutional Convention?

Let's suppose that it's 1787, and I happen to be very rich, very white, very male, and born in 1740 (so that I meet whatever age-requirements that there may have been)... and I was born in Virginia, or New York, or whatever. I own a newspaper, a brewery, multiple farms, sailing-ships, mills, etc. I'm doing well. I'm prominent. Fantastic! Does that mean that I get to vote for my representative to the Convention? No. Except for in Rhode Island, the delegates to the Constitutional Convention was appointed by their respective states. There was no election - not even among the privileged few.

Didn't like the Constitution? The choices, as of 1789, were (1) shut up and color, or (2) sail for England.
Yes, the colonial and superseding state legislatures that ratified the Constitution were elected: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...e_Constitution. But I've already mentioned that, based on who was allowed to vote at the time, such was not very democratic. Still, that is hardly the argument that I make for why the EC is democratic today. Indeed, I've explained why the institution is democratic today, even though it was adopted in a less than democratic way.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:52 AM

23,207 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Cowards are often big talkers.

And tRump talks REAL big.

You've heard the saying: Loud man goes down first in a bar!

There's Trump lying on the floor of the bar among the peanut shells!

And there's this one: Harder the shell, softer the center, softer the shell, harder the center!

Old 03-15-2019, 04:00 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Theres something seriously wrong with the country when the president can threaten the population with
"I can tell you that I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers" and his sheeple just think he's so wonderful.. Wake up fools he is nothing more than a petty dictator/tyrant who is destroying the moral fabric and values of the country.
Right. But as usual, he is full of bluster. It's all he knows how to do. How some cannot figure him out and see that he will never be of help, is unbelievable.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

As many law enforcement agencies will tell you, the radical right is a bigger threat to this country than any outside force.

Correct! We didn't give up our guns and we will never be unarmed.
Those that don't trust you to be armed, should never be trusted themselves.(perfect example)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies