Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you Anti-Vaxxer or Pro-Vaxxer and why?
Anti-Vaxxer 20 12.42%
Pro-Vaxxer 141 87.58%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:18 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,680 times

Advertisements

People make mistakes and have agendas...the CDC and our Government is made up of people. That is why I make no blanket statement or trust or distrust as a whole, I like to make my own informed decisions,

Here are a few example of why I don't just trust them because they are "experts":

https://cei.org/blog/bad-science-cdc...endations-salt

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/rober..._b_161395.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ents/95972126/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
My PhD friend also implored part of his vast medical knowledge onto me. You have more qualifications than a Medical PhD? STUNNING. Everyone thinks they are a medical doctor these days.
I'll tell you an anecdotal story of why I don't just trust PHD's.
I was having bad pain in my left knee. My PHD at the time examined my knee, determined that my knee cartilage was beaking down due to age/wear. He wanted to give me a steroid shot, then possibly do a surgery if that didn't help. I passed for the moment. I went to my Chiropractor and he looked at my knee...did much more manuevering of the joint, felt around the muscles then laughed and said my cartilage was in great shape but my outer thigh muscle was very very tight as oppsed to the inner muscles. He said the pain is from the outer muscles pulling my knee cap off center. he got the outer muscles loosened, showed me some stretches to do and asked me to figure out if there was something I was doing that might work the outer musle on one leg more than the others. I did the stretches, figured out what was causing the issuee and adjusted my routine...problem solved, no drugs, no shots and no surgery!

So by YOUR standards, I should have just trusted the PHD because they had one and I didn't? This is why your call to authority deflection is stupid and weak. You can either counter a point or you cannot...

I may not be able to explain how a magic trick is done to know it wasn't magic!

Old 03-18-2019, 06:21 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,937,310 times
[quote=suzy_q2010;54704718

No one denies that vaccines can have side effects. The side effects they cause have been well studied and are known. They just are very rare ..... .[/quote]

Side effects rare? Hardly. Billions of dollars paid out to those that have experienced 'rare' side effects.

There is a special court system set up specifically to deal with side effect lawsuits.

There is a tax/fee/whatever you want to call it on each vaccine specifically to pay for all the anticipated SETTLEMENTS from the lawsuits prompted by the side effects that they know are going to occur.

They've prepared for all the lawsuits from the 'rare' side effects.

They know the side effects will occur.

They know they will be sued.

The manufacturers have been removed from the responsibility and set up a great little system to pay for it.

Rare? Nope. Not even close.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:22 AM

Stop screaming for mandatory vaccinations.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Stop screaming for mandatory vaccinations.
Thank you! I don't want anyone dictating what chemicals get put into my body.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
People make mistakes and have agendas...the CDC and our Government is made up of people. That is why I make no blanket statement or trust or distrust as a whole, I like to make my own informed decisions,

Here are a few example of why I don't just trust them because they are "experts":

https://cei.org/blog/bad-science-cdc...endations-salt

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/rober..._b_161395.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ents/95972126/

I'll tell you an anecdotal story of why I don't just trust PHD's.
I was having bad pain in my left knee. My PHD at the time examined my knee, determined that my knee cartilage was beaking down due to age/wear. He wanted to give me a steroid shot, then possibly do a surgery if that didn't help. I passed for the moment. I went to my Chiropractor and he looked at my knee...did much more manuevering of the joint, felt around the muscles then laughed and said my cartilage was in great shape but my outer thigh muscle was very very tight as oppsed to the inner muscles. He said the pain is from the outer muscles pulling my knee cap off center. he got the outer muscles loosened, showed me some stretches to do and asked me to figure out if there was something I was doing that might work the outer musle on one leg more than the others. I did the stretches, figured out what was causing the issuee and adjusted my routine...problem solved, no drugs, no shots and no surgery!

So by YOUR standards, I should have just trusted the PHD because they had one and I didn't? This is why your call to authority deflection is stupid and weak. You can either counter a point or you cannot...

I may not be able to explain how a magic trick is done to know it wasn't magic!
I had an MD tell me that what was actually a horrible infection? Was just gas.

Yep, those MDs know everything. /facepalm/

I had the same experience with a surgeon. What do surgeons do? They operate. They have NO incentive to tell you how you can really fix the problem. No surgery for me, and doing just fine without it.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:17 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You say you are pro vaccine then bring up autism. Why even mention autism in a thread about vaccines if you are not implying a connection between vaccines and autism?

You absolutely cannot infer that autism research is underfunded if you do not have any idea how much is spent on it.

The increase in the diagnosis of autism can indeed be explained by changes in the way it is diagnosed. Forty years ago it was called mental retardation, and many children with what we call severe autism now just never were seen in public. They were institutionalized or just kept at home. There was really no effort to count them, since there was really nothing that could be done for them. DH's childhood BFF of seventy years ago clearly has high functioning autism (previously known as Asperger's, a diagnosis which officially no longer exists, so the prevalence for it is zero).

Now there is help, but you have to have the diagnosis to get it.

The tobacco execs dug a hole they could not get out of. They hid the evidence of the dangers of tobacco. Vaccines are closely monitored after they are released, by people who have no financial interest in the outcome of the surveillance. That is how the complication of intussusception from the original rotavirus vaccine was discovered, resulting in an improved vaccine and heightened vigilance on the part of pediatricians for the complication came about.

Blanket distrust of pharmaceutical companies does a disservice to the many researchers who have brought us drugs that do everything from controlling hypertension to curing cancer.
Look you can trust who you like. Me? Big Pharmaceutical companies need too be watched and watched closely. They are not a charity organization and have been caught manufacturing bad medicines, usually after people have either become very sick or died. Worse still medications manufactured in china or India and sold here.

Autism is absolutely on topic for the conversation because the majority of anti-vaccine people sight the bad science that linked autism to vaccines. That is why I bring it up.
I absolutely can infer Autism research is underfunded. It is an epidemic and it gets relatively little attention. I will say this. GWB did one thing right he nearly doubled the fed cash to autism research.
Dont lecture me on autism, I have a niece who I helped raise, who is autistic and it is severe. Now 31 she is lucky she had a family that gave a damn because the state and county damned sure didn't. These kids are money makers for school districts and private agencies.

Back on topic. Vaccines are indeed the single best medicine going. The many diseases prevented far out way any potential reaction, rare as they are. It isn't perfect but then nothing is. As a Vet I have had more vaccines than the average non-vet and by a lot. As someone who travels a lot, once again I have had far more vaccines than the average person and I am grateful for them.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I had an MD tell me that what was actually a horrible infection? Was just gas.

Yep, those MDs know everything. /facepalm/

I had the same experience with a surgeon. What do surgeons do? They operate. They have NO incentive to tell you how you can really fix the problem. No surgery for me, and doing just fine without it.
Like I said, I take it case by case.

I recently had elbow surgery (I'm recovering now and can't do much except type left handed on CD...) because I tore my price off the elbow and took some bone with it!

First doctor said I was fine...go back to work, second doctor has MRI and sees the damage...go back to work full duty! Surgeon, almost three weeks later says I should NOT have been back to work because I was causing more damage! Hmmm....two doctors worth about as much as a pack of gum...I could have told them I shouldn't be back at work...in fact I did (finally)...even my supervisor said he didn't think I should be working when he saw my arm. but his boss was going strictly by the doctors recommendations until I put my foot down.

So much for PHD's knowing everything...or anything!

There's a reason people get second opinions, or third, or fourth...

Old 03-18-2019, 07:34 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,880 times
https://youtu.be/B_hCLWtEHL8

Old 03-18-2019, 07:39 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...you really think it's 'just that simple'?...how's about doing a little reading on your own, there's a ton of data out there...better yet, take half the time you spend on this goofy forum and do a little research...you may be surprised at what you find....
“Is that research from a 6 year doctorates degree or just google?”
https://youtu.be/iCAm3WVH8bE

Old 03-18-2019, 07:47 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I got every vaccination under the sun required by law and i'm still here and never been sick.
You’ve never been sick?

I’m pro choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies