Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you Anti-Vaxxer or Pro-Vaxxer and why?
Anti-Vaxxer 20 12.42%
Pro-Vaxxer 141 87.58%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:05 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,597,197 times

Advertisements

Pro-Vaxxer. Non-vaccinated people are protected only by herd immunity (vast majority being immune keeps the disease from infecting those without immunity). Also, reports of autism and such are greatly exaggerated, and in fact is a fraud that Lancet retracted in 2010. In fact, the researcher, Andrew Wakefield, committed numerous ethical violations and scientific misrepresentation. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3136032/

Old 03-19-2019, 07:39 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
I don’t get flu shots and got the flu this year for the first time in a very long time. It was definitely the flu but I had no regrets about not getting the shot. It was not fun but was also not the end of the world. I constantly hear from the most pushy of the pro vax crowd that if you get the flu shot and then get the flu then your symptoms will be milder then if you didn’t. I don’t know how that’s measured. It seems like it has much more to do with one’s overall health at the time they get it as well as the strain, etc. For the flu, I’d say it was pretty mild. I took elderberry syrup throughout. Perhaps that helped. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15080016

Old 03-19-2019, 07:45 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Pro-Vaxxer. Non-vaccinated people are protected only by herd immunity (vast majority being immune keeps the disease from infecting those without immunity). Also, reports of autism and such are greatly exaggerated, and in fact is a fraud that Lancet retracted in 2010. In fact, the researcher, Andrew Wakefield, committed numerous ethical violations and scientific misrepresentation. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3136032/
Here's the deal with that vax/autism study.

That one was flawed, likely intentionally so. That doesn't mean there isn't a direct link between childhood vaccination and autism like disorders.

I could design a very, very flawed study to show a link between smoking and lung cancer. So what? That doesn't mean there isn't a link between smoking and lung cancer.

One flawed/perhaps purposefully misleading study doesn't negate the clear possibility that childhood vaccines have done real damage to some children.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:51 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm pro-vaxxer for the diseases that are important, especially polio, smallpox, etc.

I'm antivax for otherwise healthy people for chicken pox and flu.

Because the vax gives you imperfect immunity, and may lead to other side effects.

Not meaning to be argumentative but it is always weird to me that people mention "side effects" of vaccines but yet ignore the actual "side effects" of disease like the flu.

My father was recently hospitalized for the flu. He doesn't want to get the vaccine because he "might get the flu" lol. I think him getting the flu shot (he had influenza A which is covered by the vaccine) would have had less side effects than him being in the hospital for 4 days, having all the joints and muscles in his body hurt, having fluid on his chest, and developing A-Fib based on the flu. All of the above are "side effects" of the flu and he still could get the flu again.

Chicken pox is similar and chicken pox causes you to get shingles later on in life. So neither of these diseases causes "perfect" immunity and both have much more horrible side effects than the shots.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's the deal with that vax/autism study.

That one was flawed, likely intentionally so. That doesn't mean there isn't a direct link between childhood vaccination and autism like disorders.

I could design a very, very flawed study to show a link between smoking and lung cancer. So what? That doesn't mean there isn't a link between smoking and lung cancer.

One flawed/perhaps purposefully misleading study doesn't negate the clear possibility that childhood vaccines have done real damage to some children.
True. We’re not all perfect clones of one another and due to that fact, some people have had bad reactions to vaccinations and have been harmed. It’s also true that “science” in terms of studies and research can be flawed, biased etc. When people say things like, “the science of vaccines is settled” it’s not an accurate or truthful statement.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:54 AM

I am pro-vaccination. Mostly because, as I noted above - side effects of actual diseases are worse than the side effects of vaccination on a statistical basis.

I also am a genealogical researcher and amateur local historian. I've reviewed MANY death registers from time periods from the 1850s to 1920s and have seen pages and pages of deaths from vaccine preventable diseases. I have a distant aunt who lost 6 of her 8 children in a month from diptheria - something most people today don't even know about.

FWIW diptheria is also on the rise in war torn countries like Yeman. I remember seeing a PBS news show about a family there who lost 2 children within 2 weeks to diptheria due to the war there causes people not to be able to get their children immunized. Doctors there who stayed in the war torn nation to help people, they didn't even know how to treat diptheria because they had never seen it before and had to look up sources from the early 1900s about it.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:56 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
The bottom line is that they fear their vaccinations won't work so they need to force their vaccinated Herd Immunity. Those of us who are old and had these diseases ourselves do not fear the unvaccinated because we trust our own natural immunity to prevent us from catching these diseases AGAIN. If someone is immune, they cannot spread it to others. I will include in this all those who have had measles in these outbreaks in Disney, Minnesota, and now Washington. How many have DIED??? These people will never need to get vaccinated, or will give others measles.

I will repeat that I am Pro Choice. Get as many as you want, but if you trust in your vaccinations then why do you worry about the unvaccinated? Isn't that the purpose of your vaccines? To prevent you from getting the disease in the first place?
As has been stated many, many times, we aren't worried about our own vaccinations. At least, I'm not. I'm concerned about those who can't get vaccinations. If you choose to skip your measles vaccine and you get measles, that was a risk you decided to take. But if a child has to have immunoglobulin treatments and cannot get the measles vaccine, then he or she should not have to take a heightened risk of being exposed to measles just by going to school. I also would not want someone who refused vaccines for easily communicable diseases like pertussis, measles, or the flu working in an ICU or similar. I don't care if ICU nurses refuse to get their HPV vaccines; they're not going to be passing that along to any patients.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Not meaning to be argumentative but it is always weird to me that people mention "side effects" of vaccines but yet ignore the actual "side effects" of disease like the flu.

My father was recently hospitalized for the flu. He doesn't want to get the vaccine because he "might get the flu" lol. I think him getting the flu shot would have had less side effects than him being in the hospital for 4 days, having all the joints and muscles in his body hurt, having fluid on his chest, and developing A-Fib based on the flu. All of the above are "side effects" of the flu and he still could get the flu again.

Chicken pox is similar and chicken pox causes you to get shingles later on in life. So neither of these diseases causes "perfect" immunity and both have much more horrible side effects than the shots.
It seems like a lot of people who get the flu vaccine end up getting the flu anyway. The science in regards to the flu vaccine is interesting. https://www.cochrane.org/news/featur...uenza-vaccines

You can get shingles if you’d had chicken pox and you can get shingles if you’ve had the vaccine for chicken pox.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don’t get flu shots and got the flu this year for the first time in a very long time. It was definitely the flu but I had no regrets about not getting the shot. It was not fun but was also not the end of the world. I constantly hear from the most pushy of the pro vax crowd that if you get the flu shot and then get the flu then your symptoms will be milder then if you didn’t. I don’t know how that’s measured. It seems like it has much more to do with one’s overall health at the time they get it as well as the strain, etc. For the flu, I’d say it was pretty mild. I took elderberry syrup throughout. Perhaps that helped. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15080016

If you didn't get tested how do you know you had the flu....

I have asthma and sadly, I am allergic to the flu shot and cannot get the flu mist due to my asthma. Until I developed an allergy to the shot, I got it most years. I never got the flu when I got the shot. I also never got bronchitis (which when I didn't/don't get the flu shot, I get every year - I've had it once this year already).

Mind you I'm not all that invested in what other people do in regards to the flu shot in particular, but it is beneficial for people to get. I also never got the flu or bronchitis when I got the shot and I am seriously considering trying the shot again next year even though last time I got it I broke out in hives a few hours later. But I am hive prone due to allergies and I'm not certain it was the flu shot but my doctor doesn't want me to get it again.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
If you didn't get tested how do you know you had the flu....

I have asthma and sadly, I am allergic to the flu shot and cannot get the flu mist due to my asthma. Until I developed an allergy to the shot, I got it most years. I never got the flu when I got the shot. I also never got bronchitis (which when I didn't/don't get the flu shot, I get every year - I've had it once this year already).

Mind you I'm not all that invested in what other people do in regards to the flu shot in particular, but it is beneficial for people to get. I also never got the flu or bronchitis when I got the shot and I am seriously considering trying the shot again next year even though last time I got it I broke out in hives a few hours later. But I am hive prone due to allergies and I'm not certain it was the flu shot but my doctor doesn't want me to get it again.
It was the flu. No doubt about it. The symptoms were a perfect match for the strain that was circulating in the area. My whole family got it this year. I don’t see the point in going to the doctor, exposing others in the process just to get a confirmation of what was already 100% obvious. We didn’t need medication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies