U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 01:28 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,497,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcop223 View Post
Iíve never meet an innocent person with an attitude. Most of you sound like you have something to hide.
No, disagreeing with a 'big-brother-state' does not mean that a person has anything to hide, nor does it mean that those of us that dislike random searches (even if fully approved by the courts) will behave in an uncooperative manner when faced with one.

What I am, however, is rather appalled at the attitude of the self-proclaimed (as we have no way of verifying if you actually are what you say, and it's not like people never lie on the internet ever) police officers that have chosen to post in this thread.

This would be a great way to educate non-law enforcement citizens as to how you approach your job and duties. Instead, youíve managed to pretty well confirm many folks worst fears about the typical police officers motivations and attitude towards others.

Not only that, but the many newcomers or people interested in the area are going to wonder if the police are a problem in the area and something they need to be concerned about.

Now, before you get your panties in a wad, I do not believe they are in the least, outside that certain element of negative employees that all industries have. But first impressions matter, and if all someone on this board from out of town has seen from the police officers here is rude behavior and a complete inability to handle an opinion that differs from their own, itís not going to give them the warm fuzzies about their possible new home.

In other words, being a member of law enforcement doesnít give you the right to act like a git just because you can and I think a good case could be made that you need to set a calm example because of your chosen profession, not inspite of it.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:45 PM

57 posts, read 235,576 times
The constitutionality of DUI checkpoints has already been litigated, all the way up to the Supreme Court of the US. Like it or not, they *are* constitutional. For more information, check out this link: http://dui.findlaw.com/

Old 12-21-2006, 01:47 PM

401 posts, read 1,454,096 times
Do you not think that the way you were treated was the result of your ATTITUDE?
Maybe it's people with that attitude that makes us "natives" not like you.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary native View Post
Do you not think that the way you were treated was the result of your ATTITUDE?
Maybe it's people with that attitude that makes us "natives" not like you.
Can you please clarify who you are directing this at? It's hard to tell when you are not including quotes.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:54 PM

primarily at tarp, but really anyone who has that "this is my world and i don't have time for you" attitude, which is the attitude that many locals can't stand.
I have been through these same check points and with nothing to hide i just understand that this is a necessary thing and thank the officers for TRYING to make the roads a safer place to be.
I do apoligize for sounding a little harsh, but i get tired of some people thinking that it's all about them.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
primarily at tarp, but really anyone who has that "this is my world and i don't have time for you" attitude, which is the attitude that many locals can't stand.
I have been through these same check points and with nothing to hide i just understand that this is a necessary thing and thank the officers for TRYING to make the roads a safer place to be.
I do apoligize for sounding a little harsh, but i get tired of some people thinking that it's all about them.
I don't agree that disliking random checks is thinking it's 'all about you'. The two attititudes are very different, and one I am afraid that even native Southerners are not immune to at times.

Why do you think, since you seem to be more reasonable then the police on this thread, that not liking the erroding of civil liberties (which random stops is, though maybe a minor one on the slippery slope) means that you have something to hide?

Would you wish to have a camara on you at all times or the any organization ot search your home at any time? After all, by your logic, you have nothing to hide, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:27 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,994,578 times
Arcop223 put down his radar gun and spouted the following: "The Supreme Court has already ruled on check points. There legal. We have rules by witch we operate them, and they do work." Arcop223 should consider dropping out of the police force and re-attending elementary school, where he can learn some essential skills including understanding the difference between "there" and "they're", and "witch" and "which".

Also, we need to get over the "native" vs. "transplant" issue. As far as I'm concerned, the only natives of Cary are the American Indian tribes. The Union defeated the Confederacy, and tax money from the more populous states including New York and California has been supporting the south and our military for many years. Also remember that the "constitutionality" of this practice is just as suspect as the constitutionality of slavery, as jbognar pointed out. I do not have a "this is my world and i don't have time for you" mentality, however I refuse to allow government coercion to abridge my rights. As you can see from the attitude of the two officers who have posted on this thread, law enforcement suffers from an incredible sense of arrogance and entitlement.

Don't try to make this a "native" vs. "non-native" issue. The Bill of Rights was written by men from throughout the 13 colonies, and is something which should be respected by all citizens including those who claim to be "natives" of states which seceded from the union. Incidentally, I am also a "native" of a state that seceded from the union - Virginia.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:03 PM

O.K., I try to be a reasonable person most of the time. Tarp, I am not trying to make this a "us vs. them" issue. I have met lots(and hope to meet more) very pleasant transplants. I usually find people from different places interesting as i have not spent alot of time in other parts of the world. Of course there are ugly people from everywhere, including here.
As realistic as i try to be, i do have several friends also from this area (from what once was the rural part of this area) who don't know how to adapt real well to all the "new" around here. They still drive their big old trucks (among other things) slow on what once were rural roads only to be honked at, flipped off, and cussed at by people with out of state tags. I know this dosen't make all out of staters bad, I'm just trying to shed some light on some of the things that make the locals not too fond of transplants. (This is not the only reason, just one of many). I guess you could add to this the "atitude" that alot of the above mentioned people have.
I also must say that locals can and do share some of the same habits. The frequency of these "antics" has seemed to skyrocket in the last 5-7 years in this area coinciding(sp) with the building boom in this part of wake county.
Desdemona,
I guess i don't think or "worry" about the erroding of our civil liberties that much. Not to say i shouldn't, or that they're not erroding. Maybe there's no way to explain it, you might just have to see it. This may be why you all feel the way you do about law enforcement.After seeing what they do, over and over again some L.E.O's tend to get a little short with people.
I am not in law enforcement, but i am a public servant, so i do get a chance to see some of what they deal with. USUALLY when people act like they have somthing to hide, they do! It might be a good idea for you to try to ride along with the P.D. somtime, or attend a checkpoint one night. It might change your perspective a little.
So, to get back to the check point at hand, i see it more as a necessary thing, because we as adults can't seem to be responsible enough to stay off the dang road after we have been drinking. If we could be (or would be) more responsible these civil liberty erroding check points would not be necessary and the cops could go back to the doughnut shop

Old 12-21-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
They still drive their big old trucks (among other things) slow on what once were rural roads only to be honked at, flipped off, and cussed at by people with out of state tags.
If you want to play tit for tat....how come I keep being cut off by trucks with confederate flags and jesus fish on the back?

Thankfully, I've made great friends through work that are native to the state (and those from other other places)....I try not to hold the ignorant behavior of some of a certain group againest everyone in the group.

This reminds me of the threads were people are concerned about Blacks or Mexicans......

Quote:
I know this dosen't make all out of staters bad, I'm just trying to shed some light on some of the things that make the locals not too fond of transplants.
The resistance to change in some folks is one of the biggest things I don't understand about moving down here. It really isn't a threat to their southern heritage if people drive the speed limit.

Quote:
Desdemona, I guess i don't think or "worry" about the erroding of our civil liberties that much. Not to say i shouldn't, or that they're not erroding. Maybe there's no way to explain it, you might just have to see it. This may be why you all feel the way you do about law enforcement.After seeing what they do, over and over again some L.E.O's tend to get a little short with people.
How do you know how I feel about law enforcement officers? I'll give you a hint, before I as married, I dated several.....most really great guys. I would have called them to task on the sort of behavior that the two 'officers' displayed here.

Okay, so loss of civil liberties isn't really on your radar screen....that's okay....we all have different areas of interest or what catches our attention. However, why simply because it doesn't concern you at this point, it makes those that do have such worries being guilty of having something to hide? It's non sequitur.

Quote:
I am not in law enforcement, but i am a public servant, so i do get a chance to see some of what they deal with. USUALLY when people act like they have something to hide, they do! It might be a good idea for you to try to ride along with the P.D. somtime, or attend a checkpoint one night. It might change your perspective a little.
I've done ride alongs before.....you are again making rabid assumptions that I do not understand law enforcement or the job they do.

Also, you seem to be missing that I agreed from the beginning that the OP's behavior was not in his best interest when faced with the reality of a checkpoint. What I refuse to accept that this automatically makes him someone with something to hide or that random stops without prior suspicion or cause are a good thing.

Quote:
So, to get back to the check point at hand, i see it more as a necessary thing, because we as adults can't seem to be responsible enough to stay off the dang road after we have been drinking.
No, I do not agree that random checks are a necessary thing....as they don't seem to work....many people are killed every day by drunk drivers. Do you suggest such a stop on every corner? Better education, public transit options and a shift in society that still makes it acceptable in some ways to engage in this behavior would save more lives in the long run, and not erode any one's civil rights.

Quote:
If we could be (or would be) more responsible these civil liberty erroding check points would not be necessary and the cops could go back to the doughnut shop
Now see.....I find the doughnut shop joke to be quite insulting to police officers.

I notice that you never answered my question about if you would like camera's in your home at all times....since you have nothing to hide. I wonder why that is? Maybe you are worried a little about your civil liberties?

Last edited by Desdemona123; 12-21-2006 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: An incorrect tag.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:30 PM

If you want to play tit for tat....how come I keep being cut off by trucks with confederate flags and jesus fish on the back?

Did you stop them to ask them if they were from here? Just because they have a rebel flag and a jesus fish dosen't mean they can't be transplants too.

Thankfully, I've made great friends through work that are native to the state (and those from other other places)....I try not to hold the ignorant behavior of some of a certain group againest everyone in the group.

I try to do the same thing.

I've done ride alongs before.....you are again making rabid assumptions that I do not understand law enforcement or the job they do.

Rabid assumptions??? I simply said that if you(or any one, not meaning to single YOU out)
would walk a mile in their shoes you might understand their "frustration"(for lack of a better word). If you have done ride alongs, then you have to have seen how MOST people act when they are guilty of somthing. They usually don't co-operate very well.

Also, you seem to be missing that I agreed from the beginning that the OP's behavior was not in his best interest when faced with the reality of a checkpoint. What I refuse to accept that this automatically makes him someone with something to hide or that random stops without prior suspicion or cause are a good thing.

I didn't say that HE had somthing to hide, but that (again)most people who act like this do have somthing to hide and that is why he was treated like he may have done somthing wrong.

Do you suggest such a stop on every corner?

If it will get the drunk that might kill some law obiding citizen of the road, yes i do.

Better education, public transit options and a shift in society that still makes it acceptable in some ways to engage in this behavior would save more lives in the long run, and not erode any one's civil rights.

O.K., I'll agree with you on this one. How do you suggest we go about changing this?

Now see.....I find the doughnut shop joke to be quite insulting to police officers.

The police officers that i know would laugh at it!

I notice that you never answered my question about if you would like camera's in your home at all times....since you have nothing to hide. I wonder why that is? Maybe you are worried a little about your civil liberties?

I was not avoiding the question, i just over looked it while responding to the rest of the post.Since i'm not too private a person(always having friends over,my kids friends over,etc. ),i'm not real scared of sombody seeing what i do wherever i am.I will say though, back in my younger days when i might have been doing somthing i wasn't supposed to, that i might have had a bigger problem with it.

Last edited by cary native; 12-21-2006 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: to avoid a double post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies