Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 09:52 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I see 2 problems in this scenario. Half of us think a university education is a work permit. Just like any trade school. The other half thinks education includes well rounded citizens who have a little bit of knowledge about several things. Those electives are the things that make life interesting.

Some people forget that when they decide to have children, the children will need care.
I found no interest in one elective that I "chose" - "Minority Studies" (had nothing at all to do with what degree I wanted - but took it because I thought we were going to learn about the history of minority races) - when the entirety of the class was the instructor getting everyone to talk about how evil white people were. It would start out "innocently", with him asking us what are stereotypes of certain races, and then telling us that we were all racists when we came up with answers.

Every single day, we would be taught how whitey was the cause of the entire world's problems, and every single day, the one white guy who took the class (he was no doubt just as sorry as I was that we chose that stupid class), who was not afraid to speak up and against what the instructor was saying, was shouted at by all the others in class, called a racist, etc. Boy, sure am glad I wasted my money on that "elective".

The only thing I learned in that class was that a whole lot of people blamed whites for everything. And that was long before the SJWs started spewing that bs.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:59 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.newsday.com/business/chi...nts-1.28527064

https://www.syracuse.edu/admissions/...undergraduate/

I find it funny how she brags about her well-paying job which is director of admissions at a $51,000 a year school to sit through 8 classes a year,she then complains about her $3,700 child care bill from her mini-mansion filled with chandeliers and granite counters thanks to her director position at an education program that sells university educations consisting of around 32 classes for $204,000 or $268,000 if a room and meals are included plus interest if it's paid for by loans.

Her career is basically selling alot of debt that is not even a tangible product, its a service that has some ink on a diploma in exchange for $204,000 and sitting through 32 or so classes.

Yet, she claims her life is so difficult because has to spend $3,700 a month so she call a sales person for her $204,000 program that consists of 32 classes many of which likely serve little purpose.
Less of assumptions here.

What are you basing this person's salary on?

Old 03-18-2019, 10:05 AM

19,607 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Man that whole situation looks depressing. From her whiny vocal fry voice, to the bland, beige house to the low energy husband... and kids at daycare over ten hours a day. And the best is she says she "checked off the boxes" so expected everything to be peachy. No creative thinking or planning. Then her job is to convince other people to do what she did.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:14 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I found no interest in one elective that I "chose" - "Minority Studies" (had nothing at all to do with what degree I wanted - but took it because I thought we were going to learn about the history of minority races) - when the entirety of the class was the instructor getting everyone to talk about how evil white people were. It would start out "innocently", with him asking us what are stereotypes of certain races, and then telling us that we were all racists when we came up with answers.

Every single day, we would be taught how whitey was the cause of the entire world's problems, and every single day, the one white guy who took the class (he was no doubt just as sorry as I was that we chose that stupid class), who was not afraid to speak up and against what the instructor was saying, was shouted at by all the others in class, called a racist, etc. Boy, sure am glad I wasted my money on that "elective".

The only thing I learned in that class was that a whole lot of people blamed whites for everything. And that was long before the SJWs started spewing that bs.
That is day I would have been in the office of the school president demanding my money back.

And that works. DD had the same trouble with a faculty advisor at Rice. It was required for her major. He had no interest in doing his job.

DD got a free do over with competent faculty.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:18 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
If no one was interested in buying this "product", or she wasn't able to sell it effectively she would be out of a job.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:57 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
What degree are they seeking? My son is in engineering and his electives are recommended, not forced. And they are all relevant to the degrees he's seeking. He's a double major in engineering and the honors college in Bozeman.
What college is he attending? Are you asserting that the college doesn't have a Gen Ed requirement that has to be met to earn one's degree, even in STEM.

My STEM major kids were lucky. They knocked out almost all of their Gen Ed humanities/liberal arts required credits with MUCH cheaper AP credits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies