Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Some peaceable New Zealanders are even turning in their guns already, thus removing the first line of defense against insane terrorists like the one who shot up the mosques in their own country. You know, the guy who took advantage of the fact that the police never arrive soon enough to stop the bulk of the killings, and the fact that the people who ARE there are seldom in a position to stop the murderer, them being unarmed.

Great call, NZ government. The next terrorist(s) will thank you.

Yet again, people fall into the trap of believing that govt can provide the best solution to this kind of problem... or ANY solution to it. How many more of them will die in service to this silly, long-debunked notion?

------------------------------------------------

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/artic...s-13696268.php

Shibani Mahtani, The Washington Post
Published 8:03 am CDT, Monday, March 18, 2019

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Some rushed to their trusted online dealers and stores to stock up on semiautomatic assault rifles. Others unlocked their secure cabinets, picked up their firearms and turned them into police stations, no questions asked.

The estimated quarter of a million gun owners across this largely quiet, peaceful South Pacific country, many of them dedicated hunters, are bracing for what are likely to be significant reforms to New Zealand's firearm laws. Leaders have hinted the changes will impact the proliferation and availability of semiautomatic weapons in particular.

The changes, agreed to in principle by the country's coalition government Monday - just 72 hours after the deadliest act of gun violence in New Zealand history - put the country in line with others that have taken swift action following tragedy within their borders. Details of the changes will be announced within the week, and must be passed by parliament.
Laws will never prevent another shooting, neither will banning semi-autos. If just one semi auto is not collected or caught at the point it is smuggled into the country

Can't legislate away hatred and insanity. If someone got run over by a Ford truck, ban all ford trucks..same illogical argument.

It is a people problem not a gun problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 02:44 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,404 times
People have been filling forms to surrender their plasma rifles, MIG 21s and toy guns to the NZ government :

https://www.rt.com/news/454597-new-z...-firearms-ban/

Old 03-24-2019, 05:39 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I suppose it depended who you were. Nazi Germany had virtually no crime. And without wanting to give the wrong impression. The Germans stuck with Hitler till the very end for a reason. Even the men later sentenced to death remained faithful. Which is why America had to "denazify" the Germans through a massive propaganda campaign while making all references to Hitler or the Nazis illegal and punishable with prison-time.

Almost none of the Jews involved in the holocaust were actually German or from other Western countries. The vast-majority of German-Jews left before the outbreak of war.
Of 522,000 in Germany in 1933, 304,000 fled but 214,000 remained and most of those 214,000 were killed by the Nazis. https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/conte...-the-holocaust

I wouldn't call that "almost none."

As for other Germans, quite a few turned on Hitler including multiple military officers who tried to kill him.

Back to my point though, people the government wanted to murder were denied the freedom to have firearms to defend themselves. Murderers don't generally like victims who can kill them instead.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:05 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Of 522,000 in Germany in 1933, 304,000 fled but 214,000 remained and most of those 214,000 were killed by the Nazis. https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/conte...-the-holocaust

I wouldn't call that "almost none."

As for other Germans, quite a few turned on Hitler including multiple military officers who tried to kill him.

Back to my point though, people the government wanted to murder were denied the freedom to have firearms to defend themselves. Murderers don't generally like victims who can kill them instead.

As far as NZ goes they have indeed made themselves an easy target. not just for terrorist attacks but if real war were to break out with say the Chinese The Chinese would over run them in a day and there would be damn little resistance. To those who would poo poo such a scenario never say never. NZ would be prime real estate for the Chinese to launch force projection in the S Pacific. Air and sea power.

Oh well it's their country. Do what you want NZ. Oh you have the admiration of the anti gunners here in the US but I wouldn't be looking for The US to follow suit with you. We are a different nation with different situations we have to deal with.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:41 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times
So because of one warped lunatic all the normal law abiding citizens are giving up their guns. Whether AR 15 whatever. Makes no sense. An incident like this should make people want to protect themselves more not less.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:42 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
As far as NZ goes they have indeed made themselves an easy target. not just for terrorist attacks but if real war were to break out with say the Chinese The Chinese would over run them in a day and there would be damn little resistance. To those who would poo poo such a scenario never say never. NZ would be prime real estate for the Chinese to launch force projection in the S Pacific. Air and sea power.

Oh well it's their country. Do what you want NZ. Oh you have the admiration of the anti gunners here in the US but I wouldn't be looking for The US to follow suit with you. We are a different nation with different situations we have to deal with.
I agree. NZ is their own country and if they want to take this route it's on them but it's not the path to safety. The second mosque shooting ended early when somehow or other someone there took a gun from the shooter and chased them off. The police took over a half hour to do anything. A half hour is a long time to be defenseless with a madman trying to kill you in my view. Having read the killer's manifesto, it seems to me everyone here and there is playing right into what he wanted them to do.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:41 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You do realize that we have a very similar system in the United States, don't you? As in, you need a permit to carry concealed in some places but are not required to register your firearms. If you don't understand the difference between licensing and registration, I'm sorry that I won't be able to teach you today. It's late, and basic vocabulary lessons are not something I wish to teach right now.
Well there is no national registration here either...but when I use the term "Registration"..its really not about that but really the tracking (registration) at the point of sale. Which *IS* what we have here, just not as a national scheme. Now, that being said I live in CA where we have a very strict system on top of the federal one. All sales are tracked (registered) and the firearm model and serial number and retailer information is all collected and recorded.

During this process, you must also provide identification, present your gun safety certificate, and pass the federal and CA DOJ background check, etc.

It might be different where you live, but you don't get out of the background check if you buy a firearm from an FFL no matter where you live. There is the "private seller loophole" in some states, where not only is there no background check, but in some states, in addition, no records are required to be kept, so there is absolutely no "registration" in those places.

However, 12 states require FFLs to keep full transaction records of all firearm sakes and 8 states require private sellers to do that same. Then there are 7 states that require dealers to keep records of handguns (but not long guns) and 5 states that require private parties to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Wrong.

I've had a license to buy firearms in Canada since 1979. No one knows what I own, or how many or if I have none. How could they?
Well how it works in many places in the US, is that information is collected (and retained) at the point of sale. Not everywhere...and not always for all types of guns...but in some places, all the times, and for all guns (like where I live and in a bunch of other states)

Old 03-24-2019, 10:45 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Some peaceable New Zealanders are even turning in their guns already, thus removing the first line of defense against insane terrorists like the one who shot up the mosques in their own country. You know, the guy who took advantage of the fact that the police never arrive soon enough to stop the bulk of the killings, and the fact that the people who ARE there are seldom in a position to stop the murderer, them being unarmed.

Great call, NZ government. The next terrorist(s) will thank you.

Yet again, people fall into the trap of believing that govt can provide the best solution to this kind of problem... or ANY solution to it. How many more of them will die in service to this silly, long-debunked notion?

------------------------------------------------

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/artic...s-13696268.php

Shibani Mahtani, The Washington Post
Published 8:03 am CDT, Monday, March 18, 2019

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Some rushed to their trusted online dealers and stores to stock up on semiautomatic assault rifles. Others unlocked their secure cabinets, picked up their firearms and turned them into police stations, no questions asked.

The estimated quarter of a million gun owners across this largely quiet, peaceful South Pacific country, many of them dedicated hunters, are bracing for what are likely to be significant reforms to New Zealand's firearm laws. Leaders have hinted the changes will impact the proliferation and availability of semiautomatic weapons in particular.

The changes, agreed to in principle by the country's coalition government Monday - just 72 hours after the deadliest act of gun violence in New Zealand history - put the country in line with others that have taken swift action following tragedy within their borders. Details of the changes will be announced within the week, and must be passed by parliament.
“Criminal madman”???
How come?
Is it because his name is not Abdul or Mohamed?

Otherwise, NZ prime minister calls him a “terrorist.”

Old 03-25-2019, 05:59 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Well there is no national registration here either...but when I use the term "Registration"..its really not about that but really the tracking (registration) at the point of sale. Which *IS* what we have here, just not as a national scheme. Now, that being said I live in CA where we have a very strict system on top of the federal one. All sales are tracked (registered) and the firearm model and serial number and retailer information is all collected and recorded.

During this process, you must also provide identification, present your gun safety certificate, and pass the federal and CA DOJ background check, etc.

It might be different where you live, but you don't get out of the background check if you buy a firearm from an FFL no matter where you live. There is the "private seller loophole" in some states, where not only is there no background check, but in some states, in addition, no records are required to be kept, so there is absolutely no "registration" in those places.

However, 12 states require FFLs to keep full transaction records of all firearm sakes and 8 states require private sellers to do that same. Then there are 7 states that require dealers to keep records of handguns (but not long guns) and 5 states that require private parties to do the same.

Well how it works in many places in the US, is that information is collected (and retained) at the point of sale. Not everywhere...and not always for all types of guns...but in some places, all the times, and for all guns (like where I live and in a bunch of other states)
None of which changes the fact that New Zealand doesn't have a registry, which was my original statement.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:32 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
“Criminal madman”???
How come?
Is it because his name is not Abdul or Mohamed?

Otherwise, NZ prime minister calls him a “terrorist.”
Overwhelming vast majority of terror attacks around the globe are done by Islamofascists. Not "Christians" or "white males", as the Fake News would have you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies