Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:05 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ever since 3 of the Hijackers were found to attend our local mosque there has been an official police presence at the building. And any time there is a mass shooting the cops are out in force at the Mosque.

But my church, the Lutheran church on the same parking lot doesn't

Indeed. And 3 of the hijackers attended the Mosque you speak of? That tells me that whatever they are preaching in there is hardly peace, love and brotherhood. Not with unbelievers anyway. And they are accorded special protection whenever the threat level goes up? Why am I not surprised.

We don't see increased police presence at Christian churches whenever there in an attack on a Christian church. We didn't see that after the recent synagogue shooting in Pittsburg either. Christians and Jews are fair game I guess. Neo Nazis, Islamists, other anti semites or anti Christian types need not worry about police presence at churches or synagogues. Armed parishoners are the only concern.

Mosques like the one by you may even have a cache of AKs under the floorboards in the back room. There is something that drew those hijackers there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 02:17 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
Freedom isn't safe, never was.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Freedom isn't safe, never was.

No, not safe at all. Those who would remain free are going to have to fight for it eventually. Historically, the forces that would take and deny freedom are always stronger than those trying to either keep or obtain it. But history is also full of examples of those stronger forces being defeated. The American Revolution being a prime example.

Militia untrained in Napoleonic battle tactics like regular Army was fighting with used unconventional (for the times) warfare and cut and slashed at the British who could not grasp such methods. Riflemen sniped their officers from what was considered great distance(considered also to be most ungentlemanly) and British troops could no function without their officers.

While the Continental Army was taking a beating on the field militia was engaging far numerically superior British forces and cutting them to pieces from cover and then melting away. American militia became infamous with the British Army, officers I particular, for just not fighting fair. LOL. Our second amendment was written based on the methods and success of our militia.

A force of regular citizens, properly regulated (meaning armed and equipped) operating outside the regular chain of command and harassing the enemy to death. Thus allowing the Continental Army to get its s***together and effectively engage via the battle tactics of the time. Tactics that caused massive unnecessary casualties but that the regular army had to use.

I would have felt way better as a militia member not in cadre to the regulars. Ay any rate, yes freedom is always in danger. And it takes men like I have just described to keep it. As things are going it may come down to that sooner than later.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:06 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
It's a gimme NZ is going to go full blown ban and turn them in now. And their people will comply. That's on them. It could well turn out that nothing like the recent shootings will ever happen there again. But that has no bearing on the US.

For one thing NZ does not have a Southern border poring a river of illegal weapons into it supplying cartel foot soldiers who in turn supply other violent criminals with weapons. They do not have near the need we do to be armed for defensive purposes. Nor do they have large predators in rural areas that people running livestock need to defend against. We do. But two legged predators are the biggest issue.

In many urban areas here honest people have been denied the right to self defense. If they do get fed up and shoot back at gangs and other violent armed criminals it will be them arrested and prosecuted. Not the criminals. That makes a lot of sense. Meanwhile the gangs and thugs roll around shooting with impunity. And all the laws and citizen gun bans on the books do nothing to stop them and the honest people who have to live in these areas live in fear of both the gangs and the police. They have no friends on either side of the law.

These are the conditions that these wacko leftist gun banners would see us all living with. With all the honest citizens disarmed the gangs could just roll i anywhere and take over. And they will. In urban and rural areas. A true hostile occupying force. And what's LE going to do about it? They will have a shooting war on their hands and despite all their fancy military hardware they have now they are still way outnumbered. Assuming that the disarmament plans even worked.

Gun owners here are not going to meekly submit to bans and outlawing of their guns either. Things would heat up quick fast and in a hurry.
Yeah, Canada has that problem with all of our illegal guns coming across the border from our southern neighbor who refuses to address the issue.

Just in case someone is going to go the 'liberal snowflake" route on me, I've voted conservative all my live and own many guns. I just don't agree with unrestricted access to every gun imaginable for virtually any person who wants one.

Because you have a drivers license does not mean you are allowed to have a semi on the road... you need special training, insurance and licensing. Why?

It makes sense that why. So, why not guns?

Old 03-20-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Sorry, but New Zealand simply doesn't have the tradition of gun ownership America does. And the Right accuses the Left of trying to "slam their values down our throat"? Or maybe down there, notions about "government trying to take away our freedoms" isn't so much being a brave defender of democracy/republic as much as being a bit paranoid and deluded. But I'm not in New Zealand, and I think you aren't either.
What does tradition have to do with it? Tradition doesn't make things right. You know, traditions like slavery.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Mass murderers.
Southern baptists. You know, like Jerry Fallwell jr.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The same people that carry a gun when shopping, going to a restaurant or to work every day. Guess what? You are most likely around a civilian with a gun every single day.
Not in Canada you are. And I have a number of them.

I use them for hunting and target shooting. I don't need them for self-defense. That's a lazy excuse, and many, too many Americans use that lazy excuse. I'm not concerned in Canada, or at my condo in Florida. I refuse to live with "fear", that's silly.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yeah, Canada has that problem with all of our illegal guns coming across the border from our southern neighbor who refuses to address the issue.

Just in case someone is going to go the 'liberal snowflake" route on me, I've voted conservative all my live and own many guns. I just don't agree with unrestricted access to every gun imaginable for virtually any person who wants one.

Because you have a drivers license does not mean you are allowed to have a semi on the road... you need special training, insurance and licensing. Why?

It makes sense that why. So, why not guns?

Umm, where is it you get the idea that we are allowed unrestricted access to every gun imaginable to any person who wants one via legal means? That just ain't so. I;m OK with th training requirement aspect for gun buyers but the special insurance and licensing not so much. An inexperienced person who is buying a firearm should get formal training in its safe use and proper care and operation. But licensing and insurance to exercise our 2A rights is unconstitutional and should stay that way. It wouldn't do a thing to stop violent crime committed with guns.

It's the same smuggled and illegal firearms that we have a problem with causing your problems. Don't look for any real solutions to that anytime soon. Short of a full scale war being declared on the cartels and the gangs that totally smashes their massively financed power. I don't think you're a "snowflake" but I do believe you are operating based on misconception and misinformation about gun ownership here in the US.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:30 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Default New Zealand bans all assault rifes

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is a good leader. Good for NZ!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/20/asia/...ntl/index.html

Meanwhile in the US... AR-15 rifles were used to commit every major mass shooting in the United States since the 2012 attack in an Aurora, Colorado movie theater and we do nothing.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:43 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
A very sensible move.

No one needs an AR-15 for legit uses like hunting or home defense.

The weapon was designed for the operator to kill many targets quickly. That's why they are so popular with mass shooters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies