Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:16 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm no fan of trump. But how is this big news?
Bank fraud is big news.

There is also a question about where the bank got the money they were willing to risk. Deutsche Bank has already been found to participate in money laundering with ... wait for it ... Russian money. They had to find willing recipients to stash the cash.

"Deutsche Bank said that it's still cooperating with other investigations by regulators and law enforcement agencies into the Russian trades. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 11:36 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm no fan of trump. But how is this big news?
Only in 2019 would someone make a comment like this in relation to a news story like this about a sorting president.

I can't think of any other president for where this wouldn't be a huge deal. Rather telling.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:38 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Trump's a winner, the bank realizes it and loans him money. Success breeds success.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:44 AM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
"Deutsche Bank reportedly loaned more than $2 billion to President Trump over multiple decades while he was a real estate developer.

The New York Times reported Monday, based on interviews with more than 20 bank officials, that the bank repeatedly loaned money to Trump despite multiple business-related "red flags."

In attempting to secure loans from the bank, Trump often exaggerated his wealth, according to the Times.

When Trump was trying to get a loan from the bank to build a skyscraper in Chicago, he reportedly said his net worth was $3 billion. The bank, however, reportedly concluded that he was worth about $788 million.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...o-trump-report

Couple Takeaways:

A. Trump Repeatedly Lied to the Banks
B. Trump is at least One Billion in Debt
You do understand that Trump wasn't saying he had x billion dollars in the bank, you know like Scrooge McDuck.

Trump valued his assets. That includes his real estate developments and including his intangible assets like the value of slapping his name on a real estate project (Trump steaks, Trump ties, Trump merchandise) that he wasn't actually creating. Looking at Zillow, my house has gone down by several grand in the last several weeks, but looking at other real estate sites it's only gone up - imagine what the value of a high rise in NYC must go through. I would not like to value my own business. This is why banks do their own analysis.

You also realize that most liberals like actors, tech execs, would have even a worse time than Trump in valuing assets. Facebook, for example, only has value because of the stock and the stock has value only because people haven't yet abandoned it like MySpace. (Quite literally, there are high school kids that could create a functional web site that does much/most of facebook's functionality in a weekend.)

Main takeway: (c) bank did not rely on Trump's statements.

Takeaway #2: NY Times is engaging in clickbait (to be charitable) - keep eating it up. When your "trusted news source" is emulating Buzzfeed, it's time to re-evaluate your information sources.

Last edited by Yuptag; 03-19-2019 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-19-2019, 12:04 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
It is apparent that most of the posters in this thread have never had to personally deal with extremely large corporate loans. I have and in my experience, banks require a massive amount of information....including audited statements. The bank then pour over the information including, any valuations, to make their decision one way or the other. Trust me, banks would not normally take information at face value without doing their due diligence.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:09 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
It is apparent that most of the posters in this thread have never had to personally deal with extremely large corporate loans. I have and in my experience, banks require a massive amount of information....including audited statements. The bank then pour over the information including, any valuations, to make their decision one way or the other. Trust me, banks would not normally take information at face value without doing their due diligence.

Like they did with Manafort?

Old 03-19-2019, 12:11 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I thought that whole situation has been pretty well known for awhile? Maybe not the exact amount, but the general dysfunctional business relationship they had.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-19-2019, 12:12 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I thought that whole situation has been pretty well known for awhile? Maybe not the exact amount, but the general dysfunctional business relationship they had.
The relationship yes, although the fact that Trump probably committed bank fraud is new information.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:14 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
It's a foreign bank, the US can do nothing unless the bank wants them to if there is in fact a crime which I doubt.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:21 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The relationship yes, although the fact that Trump probably committed bank fraud is new information.
Maybe *proof* of bank fraud, but it has certainly been written about a lot.

US can't do anything? Huh. The NY AG issued subpoenas to the D-bank. Can they force it? I don't know for sure.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies