Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:37 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1R01TF

Quote:
The court ruled 5-4, with its conservative justices in the majority and its liberal justices dissenting, that federal authorities could pick up such immigrants and place them into indefinite detention anytime, not just immediately after they finish their prison sentences.

The ruling, authored by conservative Justice Samuel Alito, left open the possibility of individual immigrants challenging the 1996 federal law involved in the case, called the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, on constitutional grounds - their right to due process - if they are detained long after they have completed their sentences.

. . .

The San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, a liberal-leaning court Trump has criticized in other cases, ruled in 2016 that convicted immigrants who are not immediately detained by immigration authorities after finishing their sentences cannot later be placed into indefinite detention awaiting possible deportation. The 9th Circuit said such immigrants could seek bond hearings to argue for their release.
Makes perfect sense to me. If the law calls for your deportation if you commit a crime, it shouldn't matter whether the feds detain you for deportation the second after you're released from prison or years after the fact. Allowing for a bond hearing for people who are arguable flight risks doesn't compute and goes against the intention and plain reading of the law.

Yet another reason why I thank God for President Trump's election. Had Hillary won, the Supreme Court would look radically different today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 11:07 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Trump wins again, liberal heads explode again, the 9th circuit looks once again like a bunch of clowns. Common sense wins again. If you want to come into this country you will line up, fill out your paperwork, and wait for a decision.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:10 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
In other words, white conservatives don't care because it isn't happening to them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nec...1.html%3famp=y

Old 03-19-2019, 11:13 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
In other words, white conservatives don't care because it isn't happening to them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nec...1.html%3famp=y
Don't care. Illegals have no rights. Maybe the word will get out, south of the border, that we are doing things differently.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:16 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
In other words, white conservatives don't care because it isn't happening to them..........
White Conservative Citizens don't care.
Well, actually, we care a lot. We are happy.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:22 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:

I am the enemy to some, I'm a white middle aged guy that leans to the Right...

If I walked up to the border of Canada and claimed asylum would they just let me in? If I broke the law and crossed the border illegally and was caught would they let me stay or arrest me and send me packing?

What if I tried to do the same into Mexico or pretty much any country in the world? Heck in some I would be arrested, thrown into prison and possibly be executed for being a spy.

IF you are a citizen of this country or a Legal immigrant then you have nothing to worry about. If you are picked up there is due process that will set you free soon enough. If you are Illegally in the country and you get arrested for another crime then why should you have any Rights at all?

There was another thread on CD the other day where an illegal alien had 9 detainers on him for all manner of crimes he committed but since he faced liberal judges in sanctuary cities the ICE orders to detain him for deportation were declined 9 TIMES. Well to thank his protectors this scum went on to murder a woman.

I wonder if he will finally be deported this time?

I have sympathy for immigrants, my wife is one (LEGAL) and I even have empathy for the desperate poor that are risking it all to get into America BUT you go on to break the law and that sympathy ends.

We have enough native criminals why do we want to import more?

Old 03-19-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Don't care. Illegals have no rights. Maybe the word will get out, south of the border, that we are doing things differently.
Ok, sure.

It is still the case that ICE can hold US citizens indefinitely. Is there any powers ICE doesn't have at this point.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I am the enemy to some, I'm a white middle aged guy that leans to the Right...

If I walked up to the border of Canada and claimed asylum would they just let me in? If I broke the law and crossed the border illegally and was caught would they let me stay or arrest me and send me packing?

What if I tried to do the same into Mexico or pretty much any country in the world? Heck in some I would be arrested, thrown into prison and possibly be executed for being a spy.

IF you are a citizen of this country or a Legal immigrant then you have nothing to worry about. If you are picked up there is due process that will set you free soon enough. If you are Illegally in the country and you get arrested for another crime then why should you have any Rights at all?

There was another thread on CD the other day where an illegal alien had 9 detainers on him for all manner of crimes he committed but since he faced liberal judges in sanctuary cities the ICE orders to detain him for deportation were declined 9 TIMES. Well to thank his protectors this scum went on to murder a woman.

I wonder if he will finally be deported this time?

I have sympathy for immigrants, my wife is one (LEGAL) and I even have empathy for the desperate poor that are risking it all to get into America BUT you go on to break the law and that sympathy ends.

We have enough native criminals why do we want to import more?
ICE detains thousands of US citizens each year. You may not care in this specific case because it is only affecting illegal immigrants, but my point still stands.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Don't care. Illegals have no rights.
They do have rights, but this ruling does not seem to violate those rights. As a matter of fact, I think in reality this is how it was done in the past too. They serve, and then they are deported. This ruling was only about the bond hearing, and about how long after their release they are arrested. It's a bit of a non-issue.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-19-2019 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-19-2019, 11:31 AM

10,757 posts, read 4,346,172 times
I love the Supreme Court, thanks to Trump.
Very reliable court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies