Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Medicare For All thread was closed by the moderator in the Medicare forum for being too political (and before I posted to it) so I would like to open this particular issue with Medicare for All in the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Most of the discussion on Medicare For All is around how it will be paid for but I have a different question.

Are there enough doctors to go around for Medicare for All? Think about it: medicaid people, millions of illegals in the US, people here legally on visas, and everyone currently on Obamacare and employer insurance plus the elderly already on Medicare. And if you think there won't be enough doctors (I don't), who do you think would be shuffled off to Nurse Practitioners? I think it will be the elderly, the group that gets Medicare, now.

The next time you go to your doctor, ask them if they think there are enough doctors to go around for Medicare For All and let us know what they say.
One might perceive a reason to oppose a "Medicare for all" scheme is that if everyone has equal access to healthcare, there would not be enough doctors to address the demand. Does this then mean that the healthcare of the majority depends on denying healthcare to people who cannot or choose not to afford it?

This has nothing to do with a " Medicare for all" scheme.

Some areas of the US have and will continue to experience shortages of doctors, especially in some specialties. Some US areas of the US have and will continue to face the challenges associated with a lack of a nearby hospital because their actual and/or declining populations are not adequate to sustain a hospital. The people in those communities tend to expect their state and Federal Government to " do something".

People in remote rural areas in all countries with Universal Healthcare do not have equal access to healthcare. Some countries are working on it and for some other countries, it is just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 03:09 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,512,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The question should be, will people want to become doctors and get paid pennies on the dollar.
It wouldn't be pennies on the dollar. The median doctor salary in Canada is CAD$338,000/year for example. They're doing just fine....

Old 03-19-2019, 05:30 PM

18,503 posts, read 15,440,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It wouldn't be pennies on the dollar. The median doctor salary in Canada is CAD$338,000/year for example. They're doing just fine....
...with less overhead than US doctors.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:16 PM

62,702 posts, read 28,894,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
we see too many Doctors too often. I have a number of chronic conditions such that i have 4 Doctors who wish to see me every 3 months, including Blood Work. All they do is look at my blood work, see that everything is at a maintenance level and send me home. There is no reason why if my numbers are good i should have to show up. Doctors could look at labs see nothing changed and not call you in unless you have a NEW ISSUE to discuss. Heck there is no reason a computer program could not be programed for personalized criteria set by my Doctors and checked automatically if my labs come back in range. From talking to many others this type of do nothing visit is pretty common if you suffer from chronic conditions. Of course this could effect what could be Billed, hmm wonder if this has anything to do with it?
I can relate to what you are saying and I agree with you. Why does one have to go to the doctor just to get the results of their blood tests when it's already been determined that they are normal? It's all about money. They make nothing by calling you and saying that everything is ok. They make their money by making you come into the office to tell you and charge you for an office visit. Ending this foolishness would free up appts. for others.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:58 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,208,506 times
There is no shortage of doctors but there is a shortage who are willing to work for what Medicare pays. Ie, if all doctors could be paid is the current Medicare reimbursements, then no...why would doctors want to work for half price?

Its the same issue as illegal migrant farmworker labor....its just a total LIE that Americans don't want to work as pickers. Its that there is a shortage of Americans wiling to sacrifice their health and dignity for the same wages as the illegals will accept.

Because Americans are not peasant farmers, which is what illegals mostly are - desperately poor and uneducated people for whom even subsistence level existence in the US is a huge gain in their living standards compared to their LATAM country of origin.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:04 PM

26,726 posts, read 22,375,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
we see too many Doctors too often. I have a number of chronic conditions such that i have 4 Doctors who wish to see me every 3 months, including Blood Work. All they do is look at my blood work, see that everything is at a maintenance level and send me home. There is no reason why if my numbers are good i should have to show up. Doctors could look at labs see nothing changed and not call you in unless you have a NEW ISSUE to discuss. Heck there is no reason a computer program could not be programed for personalized criteria set by my Doctors and checked automatically if my labs come back in range. From talking to many others this type of do nothing visit is pretty common if you suffer from chronic conditions. Of course this could effect what could be Billed, hmm wonder if this has anything to do with it?

If you have the whole industry that's set to make money off your health issues, guess how it's going to operate and on what premises?

Old 03-19-2019, 11:09 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,127,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Medicare For All thread was closed by the moderator in the Medicare forum for being too political (and before I posted to it) so I would like to open this particular issue with Medicare for All in the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Most of the discussion on Medicare For All is around how it will be paid for but I have a different question.

Are there enough doctors to go around for Medicare for All? Think about it: medicaid people, millions of illegals in the US, people here legally on visas, and everyone currently on Obamacare and employer insurance plus the elderly already on Medicare. And if you think there won't be enough doctors (I don't), who do you think would be shuffled off to Nurse Practitioners? I think it will be the elderly, the group that gets Medicare, now.

The next time you go to your doctor, ask them if they think there are enough doctors to go around for Medicare For All and let us know what they say.
Oddly enough the rest of the world has it sorted out.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:02 AM

1,705 posts, read 535,169 times
Once again, the US can't do what 40+ other countries has figured out decades ago... because its so hard.

What a bunch of weaklings on the right who can't handle a challange and improve something.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:05 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,555,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
We should be training more Nurse practitioners and Physician assistants.

It does not take a PHD to do an ear infection.

That would be the most sensible solution. Working under the oversight of a physician, NPs and PAs can greatly extend quality care for many more people. Medical professionals with those qualifications can semi-independently operate clinics in rural areas. To become a PA generally takes 6 years of college and they earn master's degrees in health science. Then they get intensive on-the-job training at medical clinics and hospitals. Some of them, due to their more recent educations, may be more up-to-date on some medical issues than older physicians.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 03-20-2019 at 02:19 AM..

Old 03-20-2019, 02:12 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,174,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
How about Medicare for All Illegals that can cross our borders.

How do we pay the Medical for every 3rd world person who wants to come claim asylum and get free treatment for their disease?

Let's see... 80,000 a month. 1 Million a year. We can't build enough hospitals or create enough doctors to take care of all the babies they drop.
More democratic voters...it is all the dems care about...power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies