Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 01:56 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
What is the GOP healthcare plan?
As the US Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled for decades, healthcare is intra-State commerce and Congress has no constitutional authority over the matter.

Congress only has authority over Interstate Commerce, under the Interstate Commerce Clause in the Constitution.

If you have issues with healthcare, your issues are best addressed through your State legislatures.

You should be lobbying your State legislature to repeal the "enabling laws" because that will reduce the cost of medical care by 30%-60% and in turn reduce the cost of health insurance by the same.

It's a win-win for you.

The only thing Congress can do is eliminate the tax breaks for employer-sponsored healthcare. That would cause employers to abandon healthcare plans and drive everyone into a State-wide pool. You'd be much better off.

The fact that you expect someone else to do your work for you instead of lobbying yourself is pretty lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 01:59 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What to do with old people in nursing homes when their money runs out?

I pay for my own family's failed planning. I am NOT responsible to pay for yours nor the failed planning of anyone else. For you to even suggest I should, by the force of government holding a gun to my head then throwing me in a cage if I refuse, is armed robbery.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Good then you can only have the military spending and tax cuts we can afford. Which is none as we are running massive deficits from the conservative party that just got done bitching about deficits before making them explode again.

Spending other people's money is only ok when it's for killing brown people and large tax cuts. **** the lady with cancer that doesn't have coverage before she reached the Medicare finish line

Military spending is constitutional, HOWEVER, I am completely on board with removing our military from every other country. Furthermore, I am in favor of eliminating most of our military spending, opting instead to a mandatory 2 year enlistment into some form of military with an additional compulsory 2-4 weeks per year annual training to maintain skills, and that is for everyone, regardless of race, sex, religion... everyone, as a part of being a citizen in this nation. That training should be for DEFENSE of this nation. PERIOD.

We do NOT need to be the world's police. If other nations want to kill each other, let 'em have at it.

Medicare/Medicaid... ELIMINATE it.

Social Security... ELIMINATE it.

Welfare... ELIMINATE it.

Government funding and control of education... ELIMINATE it.

Guaranteed government student loans... ELIMINATE it.

Government spending on going into space... ELIMINATE it.

Government intrusion into the free market via tariffs, regulations and laws... ELIMINATE it.

GUT 90% of ALL government, getting it back to its constitutional limits. Yea... Now THAT sounds good to me.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:12 PM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I pay for my own family's failed planning. I am NOT responsible to pay for yours nor the failed planning of anyone else. For you to even suggest I should, by the force of government holding a gun to my head then throwing me in a cage if I refuse, is armed robbery.
Ok but if your elderly family member is my patient in the hospital and you cannot afford to pay for a nursing home, that person is getting Medicaid and a nursing home room. Hospitals don’t hold people because the family is broke and I don’t continue to round on people that need to get out of the hospital. How do I know this, because I do it daily and all the tuff talk and platitudes have never stopped it.

I have yet to see a person stop Medicaid or Medicare payments to volunteer and cover the $30k+ annual healthcare bill that comes with it. I get it, everyone has a plan but I have patients that have medical bills exceeding a million dollars accumulated all after retirement.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Ok but if your elderly family member is my patient in the hospital and you cannot afford to pay for a nursing home, that person is getting Medicaid and a nursing home room. Hospitals don’t hold people because the family is broke and I don’t continue to round on people that need to get out of the hospital. How do I know this, because I do it daily and all the tuff talk and platitudes have never stopped it.

I have yet to see a person stop Medicaid or Medicare payments to volunteer and cover the $30k+ annual healthcare bill that comes with it. I get it, everyone has a plan but I have patients that have medical bills exceeding a million dollars accumulated all after retirement.

All that said... That is MY problem, how?

I am NOT responsible for people who refuse to make good financial decisions in their lives. I'm willing to wager that all those people who are being treated have cell phones, internet, cable tv, one to four tv sets in their home, a computer, a car or two, etc., etc., ETC.

How are THEIR choices in life MY responsibility?

Old 03-21-2019, 02:22 PM

By what RIGHT do you or anyone else look at what I EARN, then demand a portion of that money I EARN to pay for that which you refuse to pay for yourself?

Go ahead and start with the waterworks, proclaiming, "It's just not FAIR!!!"

Old 03-21-2019, 02:25 PM

If you read the text under my nick, it says, "...in real Liberty, people are Free To Choose..."

It does NOT say, "...in real Liberty, people are FREE to not suffer the consequences of their choices..."

Old 03-21-2019, 02:31 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,278 times
Pay or Die

Unless you work in Congress then you happily take govt paid health care

Old 03-21-2019, 03:09 PM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
All that said... That is MY problem, how?

I am NOT responsible for people who refuse to make good financial decisions in their lives. I'm willing to wager that all those people who are being treated have cell phones, internet, cable tv, one to four tv sets in their home, a computer, a car or two, etc., etc., ETC.

How are THEIR choices in life MY responsibility?
Sounds like you don’t understand the country you live in. You pay as I do because like it or not we are tied together as a society. Otherwise you would pay for your own police force, fire fighters, roads, bridges, water system, ect. Unless your El Chapo I doubt you can afford all that.

You are proposing an entire libritarian system which we don’t have in the USA. Since you remain in the USA and did not relocate to another country then I assume you understand that responsibility as an American citizen.

BTW the patients I usually see daily all thought they were good, some former CEO’s, millions in retirement ect. I’m in God’s waiting room her in Florida. But in the end, they too realized how expensive constant medical attention cost when elderly with no substanstial income coming in. I know it’s hard to imagine but if your in doubt, go volunteer at a nursing home or hospital and talk to people yourself.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:12 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I know of no legislation passed by Republicans that destroyed it. It's still hanging around. If it's limping along what are Democrats doing about it, besides whining?

McCain's vote did me no favors whatsoever.
Not that Trump had a plan of his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies