Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 06:54 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Differences from other countries, re: guns and gun banning:
Population of armed US citizens > population of most other nations period.
2nd Amendment; we have one, nobody else does
4th Amendment; we have one, nobody else does
5th Amendment; we have one, nobody else does
9th Amendment; we have one, nobody else does
10th Amendment; we have one, nobody else does
Article 1, Section 9, #3: no ex post facto law shall be passed. We have that rule, nobody else does.
Population of Americans who own at least one rifle (using the most conservative surveyed estimate and actually fudging down) is ~50 million people, which is ~625x the number of active duty Army or Marines in a rifle carrying MOS/billet (~80k).
A free country. We have one. Nobody else does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 07:50 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The UK hasn't 'banned guns'? This seems to be a common 'myth' 'over there', the UK does however have stricter controls, the result - far far far far far far far fewer people get shot to death in the UK than in the US.
That's not proven. In the 1960s the UK had far less restrictive laws, and around the same numbers of fatal shootings. Unless you can prove that without the use of stronger restrictions the UK fatal shootings would have exploded to US levels, the apparent net result is nothing.

Further in the 60s with far more permissive gun laws (and Ronnie and Reggie), the number of fatal shootings in the UK were far, far, far, far, far, fewer fatal shootings than in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
If people in the US are 'happy' at 30 to 40 THOUSAND people losing their lives every year and don't feel the need to address the problem (or at least try) then it really is up to them, it comes across to many people in the rest of the world as rather 'stupid' though.
You also cannot prove that gun controls would have any impact on the number of fatalities in the US.

Firstly the issue of suicide has never shown any decrease in countries enforcing tighter gun control laws, 45,000 people commit suicide in the US annually, given historical data, if the US adopted UK gun laws there would be 45,000 suicides in the US annually.

Secondly, the overall homicide rate as the UK shows isn't dependent on public ownership of firearms. In the past 4-5 decades (lets call it 1980 for simplicity) the year with the lowest annual homicide rate before this decade (2010 onwards) was 1983 with 0.97 homicides/100,000, note this is prior to Hungerford, and Dunblane. The rate for 1998 was 1.24 homicides/100,000 higher than homicides in 1983 AND after the gun laws were tightened after both Hungerford, and Dunblane, which would make no sense if gun laws reduced homicides. It took until 2011 (14 years after the Firearms Amendment Act 1997 was enacted) for the UK homicide rate to fall below the 1983 rate, it stayed below 1983 until 2015 (5 years), but then crossed that level again in 2016.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:24 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
That's not proven. In the 1960s the UK had far less restrictive laws, and around the same numbers of fatal shootings. Unless you can prove that without the use of stronger restrictions the UK fatal shootings would have exploded to US levels, the apparent net result is nothing.
It was never going to get to US levels. Even in 1960s you needed a licence and to get a licence you needed a very good reason to own a firearm. Gun ownership was not that popular in UK, which is probably the biggest reason for low gun ownership rates.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It was never going to get to US levels. Even in 1960s you needed a licence and to get a licence you needed a very good reason to own a firearm. Gun ownership was not that popular in UK, which is probably the biggest reason for low gun ownership rates.
1900 you didn't and then the UK homicide rate was 0.96/100,000 to the US 1.2/100,000.

And just for the record, I started shooting at age 12 in the UK with my Grandfather and his SMLE, that he had a license for, but I couldn't tell you his good reason, or his good reason for his Browning Hi-Power.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:29 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Why would a gun ban lead to this level of police state when the war on drugs hasn't?

This is why people like you are called gun NUTS. There's this entire delusion involved with gun culture tat stops even the simplest things from being done.
Funny you should mention the war on drugs. A complete ban on drugs hasn't stopped drugs from being consumed. Why would you assume that a ban on guns would stop guns from being used? Just like drugs, it will create MORE crime, MORE killing and MORE innocent people becoming victims.

What's delusional is thinking that by banning the object, you can stop the evil behind the killing. Australia banned and confiscated guns. Guess what? The number killed in mass killings DID NOT CHANGE. Only the method changed. Killings by fire, beatings and knives skyrocketed. Yet the total number remained virtually the same.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:34 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
A free country. We have one. Nobody else does.
If we had a free country people wouldn't be locked up for possessing and/or consuming a plant.
If we had a free country we wouldn't have a third of our income stolen from us by the government.
If we had a free country it wouldn't be illegal to collect rainwater on your own property.
If we had a free country cops wouldn't be able to seize your assets over an accusation.

If we had a free country there would be no restrictions on what type of weapons I could own--no licensing, no background check, no tax stamp, nothing.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:36 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
1900 you didn't and then the UK homicide rate was 0.96/100,000 to the US 1.2/100,000.
What was the handgun ownership rate? As far as I am aware, Brits were never as excited about gun ownership as Americans. If they were not into it, it might explain why so few owned guns.

Quote:
And just for the record, I started shooting at age 12 in the UK with my Grandfather and his SMLE, that he had a license for, but I couldn't tell you his good reason, or his good reason for his Browning Hi-Power.
The law did not require grandchildren to know the reasons why their grandparents owned firearms.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:44 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Approximately half of all deaths by gun in the United States are suicides. It appears to me that whenever the subject is discussed politically this important fact is never brought up.

To me this suggests that if we developed more practical medical end of life plans we could cut the number of gun deaths by half.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What was the handgun ownership rate? As far as I am aware, Brits were never as excited about gun ownership as Americans. If they were not into it, it might explain why so few owned guns.

The law did not require grandchildren to know the reasons why their grandparents owned firearms.
Yeah it didn't, but I do know that a guy running a pub, living in a typical street, that was not competing in shooting sports or hunting and was unable to have self defense as a reason, has few options available to them for claiming "good reason" to own a military grade rifle, and a 15 round semi-auto handgun. Unless good reason was liberally applied. I know my first FAC I was competing in long range target shooting, good thing I was, because if I wasn't I doubt I'd have received it.

Gun ownership rates no idea. However you're missing the primary argument, why was the homicide lower in 1983 in the UK right through two rounds of gun control legislation and for 14 years after the last legislation, if gun control reduces homicides, and is the reason the UKs homicide rate is much lower? The numbers don't make sense.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:58 AM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
There are literally hundreds of countries/territories where this have worked and is working. EVERY country that tried it, have it worked for them.

If you want to go with the "this won't work" BS, you have to explain what makes us so different from the 100% of the other countries.

Then you should give up your First Amendment right to write such drivel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies