Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2019, 02:42 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Yeah, I usually vape which leaves next to no smell.

People definitely cannot tell that I toke unless I inform them of that fact.

Only weed heads think it doesn't leave a smell. My brother vapes. He always smells like weed and all his clothes smell like weed. It is very strong to those of us who don't consume it. Only people who smoke don't seem to notice it IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 02:48 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
No, you can't.

When you think about it, what a great line to use to expose the stigma that was mentioned earlier:

By dissing the people you say act "right" when under its influence as having mental health problems, you also perfectly described millions of people who have depression who use a man-made chemical (pharmaceutical antidepressants) to affect their brain chemistry to make them "right". I bet you don't judge those people at all.

But substitute a natural plant which performs the same job, and suddenly we have a "drug addict" that you judge and look down upon, when otherwise you're probably a pretty open-minded person.

This stigma has permeated every crevice of society, and it will take quite some time to get rid of the stench.

LOL - weed heads are very defensive here.

I don't look down upon any drug addict. Everyone IMO is addicted to something.

Almost everyone I know smokes a lot of weed. My dad used to sell weed. I know about it and grew up around it and a lot of base-heads. That is the reason why I don't smoke it.

I agree it "relaxes" people and "calms" them and all sorts of other things and that is because it creates a chemical reaction in one's body/brain. By acting "right" I mean that most of the people I know who smoke it have a hard time getting things done. I agree it slows people down and I agree it relaxes people but sometimes that is not a good thing. I also know people who use it almost all day and they exhibit a lot of paranoia and even admit they think it is because they consume so much weed.

I'm hopeful that it can be used to help people with mental health conditions and chronic pain because I'd rather they be hooked on weed than opiods/heroin since it is much more dangerous and addictive. And FWIW I do think that many people who use anti-depressants probably dont' really need them. Today our society seems to want to "feel good" all the time. No one feels good all the time. Just because one is sad doesn't mean they are depressed and I think so many people claiming to be makes those who truly suffer from debilitating depression feel more stigmatized and they are less likely to seek treatment/help. Sometimes it is better to try other options and not just go with pills or weed all the time. Learning how to cope is important IMO. And note, I have been depressed before. I've shared here before I've been through a lot of crazy stuff. I've also been on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds before. I didn't feel like myself when I was on them and I made sure to get some therapy and get off of them so I wouldn't have to depend on them for the rest of my life. Many people cannot live without them for valid reasons but many more can and don't because they'd rather keep popping pills and smoking/vaping/eating weed versus solve the underlying mental health issues.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:51 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Only weed heads think it doesn't leave a smell. My brother vapes. He always smells like weed and all his clothes smell like weed. It is very strong to those of us who don't consume it. Only people who smoke don't seem to notice it IMO.
I wasn't referring to smell. I assumed your statement "They are not in their right mind" meant that you could tell who uses it and who doesn't just by being around them, without having to use smell at all. If so, that is the part of your statement that I can assure you isn't true.

Yes, we are defensive against the stigma you continue to exhibit by continuing to use the term "weed head".

I am 62 years young and have been using it daily for over 48 years. After all these decades, I admit I am getting rather sensitive to the stigma.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:58 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://www.city-journal.org/marijua...v_yMDJckV4GTtM

I'm for legalization, and I would procure some if it was. But I know that weed can cause or exacerbate depression and cause lethargy. It's not something that is without harm.
The psycho-toxins found in marijuana are quite harmful indeed.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The psycho-toxins found in marijuana are quite harmful indeed.
^^^ And yes, all the misinformation is getting rather monotonous too... ^^^

Old 03-26-2019, 03:29 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
^^^ And yes, all the misinformation is getting rather monotonous too... ^^^
Irritability is one of the many symptoms.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Irritability is one of the many symptoms.
Love it!

Actually, irritability is one of the things it is best at curing, lol. Look it up.

You think you're being clever when you make stuff like this up, but it is actually just creating a bunch of therapeutic chuckles out here in cyberspace..

Old 03-26-2019, 03:42 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
People are OD'ing on edible marijuana. The eat some, dont get a buzz within the first few minutes and eat more … then more ….. 90 minutes later they end up in the ER hallucinating, removed from reality, having panic attacks and so on.

I'd post a link but there are dozens. Just look up 'edible marijuana OD.'

By some accounts, in Colorado ER visits for drug over dose are up over 300% primarily due to marijuana.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:52 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
By dissing the people you say act "right" when under its influence as having mental health problems, you also perfectly described millions of people who have depression who use a man-made chemical (pharmaceutical antidepressants) to affect their brain chemistry to make them "right". I bet you don't judge those people at all.

But substitute a natural plant which performs the same job, and suddenly we have a "drug addict" that you judge and look down upon, when otherwise you're probably a pretty open-minded person.

This stigma has permeated every crevice of society, and it will take quite some time to get rid of the stench.
This 100%

What is your opinion on the cannabis industry and the way they market it? I think the fact that the industry so heavily promotes stoner culture is a double-edged sword. On one hand, for better or for worse, stoner culture is a part of cannabis and dispensaries should not be forced to "tone down" their marketing to make it less offensive to old Christian conservatives. On the other hand, I think the continued permeation of stoner culture in legal markets is helping to keep the stigma strong and may slow down the end of prohibition.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This 100%

What is your opinion on the cannabis industry and the way they market it? I think the fact that the industry so heavily promotes stoner culture is a double-edged sword. On one hand, for better or for worse, stoner culture is a part of cannabis and dispensaries should not be forced to "tone down" their marketing to make it less offensive to old Christian conservatives. On the other hand, I think the continued permeation of stoner culture in legal markets is helping to keep the stigma strong and may slow down the end of prohibition.
I think you are basically right, but only as it applies to the US. Other countries have had sane marijuana laws for decades now, and the culture isn't portrayed as counter-culture like it is here. It is as integrated into their society as deeply as alcohol is in our society, so stigma is practically non-existent.

We'll get the stench of marijuana prohibition completely out of our society also, but it will take a couple more generations, even if it were legalized nationally tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies