Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2019, 06:23 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Millennials are actually both much further to the left of boomers and much further to the right. Boomers are a bunch of materialistic, right-of-center cucks, who have been spoiled but think young people should be more grateful
Five yard penalty for misuse of "cvck!" For accuracy in use, look up "baizou," the Chinese word for same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 06:32 PM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
I'm just curious to know why you judge this generation as snowflakes, weak, lacking in maturity and why you question eveything we do, as if the world is the same place as it was 30 years ago.

Thank you.
They complain period! Angry sad bunch of folks who won’t move over for the next gen to take the helm !

Old 04-01-2019, 06:36 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Parents complaining about their kids? You don't say!

Old 04-01-2019, 07:00 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm a millennial. I don't hate boomers, but I do hate them when they start complaining about my generation and fail to realize how much easier they had things.
I don't hate Millennials, but I do get annoyed (but I don't hate them) when individual Millennials refuse to understand history or paint an entire generation with a single brush.

Boomers are conservative, liberal, and everything in between. I'm a later Boomer, born in 1959; I entered the job market in the middle of a recession/fuel crisis. My first job paid $4 an hour, with no benefits. The employment world as we knew it was changing forever with the collapse of heavy industry. College graduates were not exempt - as steel mills and auto plants shut down, their unemployed workers quit spending money, or left the region altogether, which trickled down into any number of industries, including mine (newspapers). I stood in line at the unemployment office with auto workers and steel workers. Entire neighborhoods emptied out as families moved away from the industrial Midwest to the South in search of employment.

Good times.

Quote:
In 2019, you pretty much have to live in a medium or larger city to get a good job. These cities have astronomical housing prices, so being able to afford a house in these places is out of the question.
Many large cities in the Midwest are very affordable. All you have to do is look.

Quote:
And to top it all off, us millennials are stuck paying taxes to cover boomer social security and pensions. At this rate, us millennials might not have social security by the time we are ready to retire.
We're still paying, too. I'll be working until I'm at least 75, but thanks for your concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comer View Post
Boomers like to complain about things in general, IMHO.
Invent a non-invasive method of replacing knee joints and I'll quit complaining forever.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:16 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Boomers and millennials are as different as chalk and cheese, so it's no surprise they complain about each other.

I'm a millennial. I don't hate boomers, but I do hate them when they start complaining about my generation and fail to realize how much easier they had things.

Boomers are generally more conservative, whereas millennials are more liberal, so this is problem #1. Boomers entered the job market when jobs were plentiful, and when having a college degree wasn't necessary for success, housing was cheap, and the overall cost of living was lower.

Millennials entered the job market between 9/11 and a recession/housing crisis. Our boomer parents told us "you have to go to college because getting an education is the most important thing". Many of us shouldn't have gone to college, but instead should have gone to a trade school. Our parents told us not to worry about our field of study, but instead "just study what you enjoy". Now we are mocked for having $100K in debt from an art degree.

In 2019, you pretty much have to live in a medium or larger city to get a good job. These cities have astronomical housing prices, so being able to afford a house in these places is out of the question. Even if housing prices are more reasonable, being able to save for a downpayment is out of the question.

Because so many of us are stuck paying student loans and high rent prices, we cannot afford to buy a home or even start a family.

And to top it all off, us millennials are stuck paying taxes to cover boomer social security and pensions. At this rate, us millennials might not have social security by the time we are ready to retire.

Lastly, boomer politicians have little understanding of technology, something millennials are very passionate about.

Boomers who came of age in the 60s-70s during the sexual and drug revolutions are more conservative? The job market was easy? The 70s and 80s were brutal for broads swaths of this country as the US moved from an industrial to service economy. The unemployment rate in 1982 was higher than the peak of the Great Recession. Ever experienced stagflation? How does an 18% home mortgage rate sound? You don't think people were concerned about payroll taxes going into a failing social security system 30 or 40 years ago?

I'll grant that politicians are idiots, but as far as technology, who was blazing the technology trail over the last 50 years? Who developed the mouse, ethernet, laser printing, touch screens, UI design principals, personal computers, tablets, cell phones?

Old 04-01-2019, 07:57 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm in Generation X and I can't help but laugh at all of this ridiculousness between Millennials and Boomers.
Right there with ya.

I employ both Millennials and Boomers and let me tell ya, neither of you are a prize.

Boomers do not like change - at all. Ever. Try some flexibility on for size. It won’t kill you, promise. No need to moan and groan about even the slightest change for ever and ever and ever. Oh and why do you crow all the time about how early you wake up? No one cares. FYI, is the whole office starts at 8 and you’re there at 6, how is that good for us?

Millennials - put your phone down for two seconds like say in a customer meeting or an interview. And yeah, there’s something to that entitled thing. If I tell you to do some task, throwing a tantrum and trying to stomp out of a meeting because we decided not to do it your way is not acceptable behavior. There is the sun and you - the world only revolves around one of those and it isn’t you.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:01 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, who "got theirs" was the WWII generation, on average eight (8) times more received in Social Security than they paid in. In contrast Baby Boomers, the first generation to pay into Social Security from the first dollar they made, will receive on average about 15-20% less than they paid in.

So, who pulled up what ladder?
Yes, how is it that the WWII generation was able to have a house, car, new baby, GI Bill pay for college right out of the military? Oh yeah, and a SAHM. Not even mentioning SS.

To my knowledge, no Boomer got those perks (despite military service) and certainly NO Millennial.

This describes my dad, who in his twilight years admitted "I guess I'm a secret Democrat, considering all the government services I'm getting". (after being a lifelong R)

I don't understand WHAT was so uniquely "Great" about that generation.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:08 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I don't understand WHAT was so uniquely "Great" about that generation.
I understand -- they were thrifty, they were courteous, and they worked hard. They were very hard on their kids, the boomers: I had to deal with rules and regulations that today's millennials wouldn't stand for one minute: zero privacy, less choice of my friends ("You cannot talk to that one again"), bedtimes, weekly chores without pay, religious attendance, and more. That said, I respected that the "Greatest" came from a different time, had lived through the Great Depression (very tough) and been drafted and shipped off to war twice. They passed on to boomers three things that are disappearing from American life: politeness, punctuality at work, not taking sick days unless you're really sick, etc. I am thankful for that.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:39 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Unfortunately, many millennials don’t see it that way, they’d prefer to go to college and get a useless degree. Many have the attitude that they are too good to get their hands dirty. Whether or not they were taught this by their parents I don’t know, but I sure see a lot of it.
Another problem is that in 2019, decent paying trades are few and far between. The ones that do pay well often "gatekeep" the trade. My buddy wanted to become a plumber, but he found it impossible to get any plumber to mentor him.

In past decades, you could get a job at a factory and have a high enough salary to buy a home, have a stay-at-home wife, and support the kids. My grandpa worked as a telephone lineman and was able to support his family on this salary. They weren't rich, but they were comfortable.

Good luck doing that today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Boomers who came of age in the 60s-70s during the sexual and drug revolutions are more conservative?
They had their fun, now they want to take it away from other people. Remember, these are the same politicians who are either against legalizing marijuana, want abortion banned, and want to ban all firearms.

I can't think of a single politician who is in favor of legalized MJ, no gun control laws, and openly available abortion.

Last edited by lepoisson; 04-02-2019 at 01:51 PM..

Old 04-02-2019, 02:22 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The older generation has always complained about the younger generation. The internet just makes it more pervasive.
I am trying to picture a person of a then older generation 100 years ago complaining to a person of then younger generation in regards to watching silent films beyond the obvious "such entertainment is an abomination"-type response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies