Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 09:53 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times

Advertisements

One of my neighbors is organizing a block party for one day this summer. I have never heard of this before, but maybe it can turn out to be a good idea.

Will have to see how things turn out.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:49 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
One of my neighbors is organizing a block party for one day this summer. I have never heard of this before, but maybe it can turn out to be a good idea.

That you have never encountered a block party before makes me feel very old. They were a weekly thing in my childhood neighborhood. I hope that yours turns out to be a wonderful opportunity for you to make connections.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:58 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
https://youtu.be/n3Xv_g3g-mA

Damn, some of it hits home. Especially these days when it comes to work etc.

Society is more connected than it ever was but also more isolated.

As someone mentioned above, it's superficial. I read once of a disabled couple, both morbidly obese, each perched on a computer in separate rooms, and each had been having an on-line "relationship" with someone else. That's all they did all day.

Then there are those consumed with their "fantasy lives." They adopt an avatar, "earn" fake money, go to fake jobs, grow fake food, purchase fake items with that fake money, and concoct fake families for display--all while life goes on around them and passes them by. Cases like these are legion. It's sad, but interesting to read how their lives have been consumed by social media .

Then there are men who can't tear themselves away from their games, even to tend to their own babies left in their care. I was watching a documentary about people in dire straits financially, and one young mom was farting about how her "Facebook friends" would react when they learned they'd been evicted. Huh?

Consider, too, the number of "bullied" kids allowed to marinate in their hurt, always online, alone in their rooms, instead of engaging in family activities.

Have you ever seen moms yakking on the phone while dragging their toddlers down supermarket aisles? I have. Dads do it, too. The poor kids are pointing to items for sale, and the parents are losing all of those Today's a looking day, not a buying day moments. All because there's someone more important on the phone. People don't even exchange pleasantries with each other anymore when they're in line, because everyone is talking on the phone or texting. Sometimes they barely glance at the cashier ringing up the sale.

The sad fact, is that the iconnected among us aren't connected in ways which matter.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:03 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

We have these annually, usually around the 4th of July.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:15 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
I don't know.

One of the lessons out of the hijackings of 9/11 was to introduce one's self to one's seat mate on the airliner.

That is what I did on my last airline flight. Further, I was at a miniature conference last week and those I ran into, I introduced myself to such as another goer in the garage, those at the stand up continental breakfast tables, those I sat down next to.

Errr, 4 out 5 is not bad (one introduced back but after that, there was no talk).

Strangers in a strange land, there can be reassurance in knowing each others' names.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:31 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Prior to civilization, you would have lived in a tribe of about 100-150 people. You would have spent every day of your life with them. And they all would have been your cousins or closer. All of your neighbors would have been your family. And family tends to make stronger and more-altruistic bonds.
Sounds incesty.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:41 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Sounds incesty.
Define incest.

When I was about fifteen, I went with a friend of mine to her family-reunion, and she met this guy who was her fourth-cousin who seemed to "like her" more than just cousins. I teased her about her "kissing-cousin".

But aren't we all cousins?

Prior to civilization, the average person married their second-cousin. Until the 20th-century, the average person married their fourth-cousin. In modern times, the average person is married to their seventh-cousin.

At what point does it stop being incest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies