Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 11:25 AM

1,877 posts, read 671,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I posted this earlier....
Yeah, i saw that, thanks. So those states have very low populations, logically bigger states with more people should have more day because they have more people affected. It just seems wrong for 550k people in Wyoming to have the same number of senators representing them as nearly 40 million people in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 11:25 AM

14,695 posts, read 8,012,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady
Right before that
at 12:33 AM on Nov 7 2012
Donald Trump tweeted:

This election is a total sham and a travesty. We are not a democracy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Read a book and you'll understand that we are not a Democracy.
Your public education was a failure.

The Twitter Quote wasn't about Democracy

Trump at the time was having a fit because of Obama winning the election, and he blamed the
electoral college (I am not sure why, Obama won both the popular vote and the electoral College vote)
He was calling the electoral College a Sham and a travesty.
That was the point I was making...

I seem to remember in Social study class learning that we were both a Republic and a Democracy,
but that is beside the point, that I was making.

Actually, I love to readI am quite well read (Unlike Trump who has stated that he hates to read)
and actually attended mostly private schools when I was younger.
Someone else's schooling was a failure, because that was quite a rude and nasty response from you.
You can disagree with someone without resorting to personal attacks and insults.
Or maybe you can't.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:26 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,401,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
How do you avoid paying all taxes? That must be difficult what with sales taxes, property taxes, FICA, state income taxes, booze taxes, gas taxes etc etc.
you are confusing STATE taxes and FEDERAL

45% of FEDERAL filers have a zero or negative tax liability *negative liability means they get back MORE that they originally had taken out of their wages... this includes payroll taxes)

Old 04-02-2019, 11:26 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 235,063 times
Quote:
And sparsely populated rural areas tend to vote republican so I guess that's why they want to have a system that gives those areas disproportionate influence.
Good luck with your perfectly reasonable argument.

They'll never, never, never, wrap their minds around notion that the coin in their palm has another side beyond the one that's face up.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The vote of one farmer is more important than the votes of 10 welfare mothers in SF or NYC.
There, I said it.
Hmm, okay, personally I prefer one person one vote but I guess going back to a system where only white male landowners could vote is still an option out there that some people support.

40,931 posts, read 48,959,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Why should states with small populations have a larger say than urban areas? Strikes me as preferential treatment. Of course I’m not a fan of individual state’s rights/laws either. As far as I’m concerned, if this is the UNITED States, the laws should be federal, not State determined. .
Because we were set up to be Independent States that's why. What's good for NY is rarely good for Oklahoma. It's why we have the 10th Amendment. You might read it.

That's the way we were founded and the way it should remain.

41,111 posts, read 25,622,454 times
Quote:
You could do like they do in France, the top two then run off in a second vote. Or have a single transferable vote where voters rank candidates in preference order, plenty of countries do that.
Do you know why these people are unhappy with your utopian govt

France has been wracked with civil unrest and anti-government protests for over two months now with yellow-vested protesters taking to the streets of towns and cities throughout France. Demonstrations have often turned violent, leading to dramatic clashes with French riot police.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:28 AM

8,192 posts, read 3,390,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The US isn't a direct democracy, it's a representative republic. As such, the Founders in their wisdom understood the tyranny of the few high population states dictating policy they favored over the wishes of the agricultural and small states. We see this in action in states like Washington, Illinois, Oregon and California where 1 or 2 metro areas can outvote the rest of the state.

Every vote does count when in presidential elections the electoral representatives are chosen by the state. My state is the 4th largest in the nation, but we have a very low population and only 3 electoral votes. We don't have much say in presidential politics, in fact, it's rare for a candidate to even campaign here. But we are still represented because of the electoral college and have our place at the table.

The losers of the 2016 election would wholeheartedly support the electoral college if it always voted their way, but it doesn't and is a more accurate reflection of the will of the country as a whole. My state doesn't have a lot of impact on federal policy, we only have one representative in the house, but we are on equal footing in the senate with 2 senators same as New York or California. This is the equality the Founders strove so hard to create as nothing like it had ever been seen in history with the possible exception of ancient Rome, but the Roman senators were still the nobility, not really representing the will of the people.

I don't always like the way the elections go either, but there's nothing wrong with the system. The Founders were incredible geniuses and keen observers of human nature. They saw exactly what is going on today with one side trying to skew the results of elections to their benefit at the expense of the whole.

Sour grapes are no reason to do away with the protections the Founders built into our laws for the benefit of the whole country instead of just the few.
In general, progressives don't understand the philosophy behind this country. They don't understand how easily tyranny can take over, and how hard it is to prevent it. That's what the American founders were concerned with. They had escaped the old class system of Europe and did not want to re-create it.

Progressives believe in the power of government and human intelligence to solve problems. That is the opposite of what this country is about. The government is a necessary evil that must be restrained.

This theme is actually not new, and can be found in ancient times. People have always distrusted kings, and only tolerated them for military reasons. One example is in the Old Testament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you are confusing STATE taxes and FEDERAL

45% of FEDERAL filers have a zero or negative tax liability *negative liability means they get back MORE that they originally had taken out of their wages... this includes payroll taxes)
Ah, OK, but you just said 'taxes' not 'federal taxes'.

16,756 posts, read 8,146,291 times
There was a time when Senators were picked by state legislatures. When that changed all votes counted equally through out the states.

No reason the same cannot be true for the POTUS. All votes should be counted through out the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies