Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 06:13 AM

72,959 posts, read 62,537,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Thanks for asking. The point is that our modern civilization, which runs on science, is more fragile than we think. Vast numbers of people, including most women and the vast majority of blacks, are completely clueless about science. They have no understanding of how or why anything works, and are in no position to help sustain us, let alone move us forward. We rely on a relatively small, mostly male, white and Asian group of individuals to do this. We all depend on them, yet there is an ever growing movement to "decolonize" and end the "patriarchy" in science, to push out the competent men and install a gender and racially proportionate STEM workforce. As the results of the survey indicate, this movement is based on a premise that is utterly false. There is no equality or proportionality when it comes to understanding science.
I don't see any movement to "decolonize" science. Maybe in South Africa, but not here. I work a STEM related job, for now. I'm not hearing any "let's decolonize science" where I'm at.

I think you just started this thread as a way of saying "see, Black people are stupid and inferior".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 06:20 AM

556 posts, read 622,309 times
Quote:
Thanks for asking. The point is that our modern civilization, which runs on science, is more fragile than we think. Vast numbers of people, including most women and the vast majority of blacks, are completely clueless about science. They have no understanding of how or why anything works, and are in no position to help sustain us, let alone move us forward. We rely on a relatively small, mostly male, white and Asian group of individuals to do this. We all depend on them, yet there is an ever growing movement to "decolonize" and end the "patriarchy" in science, to push out the competent men and install a gender and racially proportionate STEM workforce. As the results of the survey indicate, this movement is based on a premise that is utterly false. There is no equality or proportionality when it comes to understanding science.
This only proves how many people can be led around into believing “scientific” assumptions like climate change.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:34 AM

26,448 posts, read 15,045,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Makes you wonder how humanity lasted 200,000 years without "scientific" knowledge. Black people already did their part in science by inventing humans. Quite a scientific feat.
Wait...are you saying black humans invented human beings? In a laboratory somewhere millenniums ago? How could black humans invent humans when they themselves are humans? Were humans even invented?

You seem fairly illogical.

African people may have been the first humans to come into existence on the evolutionary process, but that is not "inventing humans." Additionally, now there is new evidence that the first humans weren't in Africa, but rather the Middle East.

"Single cell organisms are the greatest scientists of all time, they invented the rest of life. I wonder if they had tiny lab coats that fit well." -thrifty

Old 04-04-2019, 07:03 AM

88,942 posts, read 44,763,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Wait...are you saying black humans invented human beings? In a laboratory somewhere millenniums ago? How could black humans invent humans when they themselves are humans? Were humans even invented?

You seem fairly illogical.

African people may have been the first humans to come into existence on the evolutionary process, but that is not "inventing humans." Additionally, now there is new evidence that the first humans weren't in Africa, but rather the Middle East.

"Single cell organisms are the greatest scientists of all time, they invented the rest of life. I wonder if they had tiny lab coats that fit well." -thrifty
Yep, in what is currently known as Syria, I believe.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:23 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,599,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
They left Asians off the list.
They didn't want to make the rest of us look bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
On the other hand, I think everyone should have at least answered correctly the question about which city (Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles) showing the most variance in temperature changes. The graph they provided is a dead giveaway.
Ironically, that's the only one I got wrong. The range on the graphs for two of those cities looked awfully close to each other; the lowest low and the highest high both looked to be nearly the same temperature, so I picked the one that looked slightly higher. I'll just chalk it up to poor eyesight.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I think this point is worth exploring. The key phrase here is "[They] are in no position to help sustain us, let alone move us forward." Specific to science, I believe that the accumulation of evidence such as this test does show that the scientific burden is disproportionately carried by white males. (And Asian males too, though apparently their contribution wasn't recorded in this particular instance.)

But I don't see it as narrowly focused as this. There are many, many tasks that a society needs done in order to function, and non-scientific people certainly have their roles to play. One of the most important functions of a society is raising up the next generation, and this task is performed overwhelmingly by women, whether they are scientists or not. And even people without formal education or innate intelligence have their role to play. After all, as Judge Smails put it in the movie Caddyshack, "The world needs ditch-diggers too."

The group that does nothing to help sustain us is the underclass, the ones who won't work at any job and do not contribute anything, but (at best) sit around and do nothing, or (worse) actively tear down and destroy the work of others. For whatever reason, black people are disproportionately represented in this class. But the problem is one of culture (in this case, a highly toxic one), not specifically race. (Remember what they say about correlation not necessarily implying causation.) I don't know what the solution is, but I do know that having a sizable (and, bad news for our future, growing) cadre of people who take but never give is a major problem.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Oh gawd. Don't get me started on the mindboggling ignorance of Americans (aggregately, of any background) on basic geography...
I got 16 out of 16 on this geography quiz. How well will you do?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/ho...c-us-geography

Old 04-04-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I got 16 out of 16 on this geography quiz. How well will you do?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/ho...c-us-geography
I got 16 out of 16 as well. Of course I majored in Geography in college.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
9/11 but not bad since I’m working AND watching Ted 2 and laughing my arse off.
I got 11/11.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:50 PM

12,952 posts, read 13,661,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep, in what is currently known as Syria, I believe.
The black people of Yarmouk Basin are a little-known Afro-Arab ethnic group in Syria. Most live in southwestern Daraa Governorate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_..._Yarmouk_Basin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies