Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 10:35 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
a "poor" kid in America or any first world nation is a "rich" kid in poor nations like Vietnam.

Some of the kids in the Mekong Delta walked for an hour, one way, to go to school They have incredible work ethic and thirst for knowledge
This is the thing though. A poor kid in America isn't thinking about the poor kid in Vietnam or Ghana. He/she only cares about what goes on where he or she lives. The poor (and especially poor Black people) are looking only at what other people that have more than them have. They might have more compared to someone in a 3rd world country, but said person has no plans of going to a 3rd world country. All that matters to said person is what goes on in the USA right this minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 10:52 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well....I can guarantee that if you asked logical or STEM type questions where the right answers would comport with arguments for racial reparations or liberal policies......whites would flunk the test.

I presented simple logic that an inequality cannot be turned into an equality without there being an allowed "double standard" of treatment of one side relative to the other. Mostly white posters failed to acknowledge this truth. Why can't your high IQ's figure that one out? I even had a couple of poster disparage me for trying to use logic to explain things. You can't make this slit up.
lol @ "logic" - and so now you're on this thread trying to get cookies that you didn't earn....

have a nice day!

Old 04-03-2019, 10:54 AM

2,923 posts, read 977,841 times
i'm sure it has nothing to do with the value of education in the home....that's just racist talk

Old 04-03-2019, 11:00 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
As someone who has graduated out of high school back in 2008, I can attest that this statement is very true. The poorest schools, in the the most impoverished neighborhoods or districts, can become decent places for an education if the student body as a whole only cared to learn the subjects being taught.

In my state, I've also noticed even some of the schools with all of the resources are now not doing too well in test scores, since I've been out of high school.

It also should be acknowledged about those students that are mixed bags- the students that do well in some subjects but have poor grades or test scores in others.
I graduated in high school back in 2004. I didn't go to a dirt-poor school. However, it was the worst school in the county. Many of the kids didn't seem to care. Some kids were just doing enough to get buy until they could get out of school (some dropped out, took their GED) then got a job doing something like landscape/forklift/some kind of blue collar work,etc.

I live in Georgia. Georgia ranks about #37 in terms of education. https://www.ajc.com/news/local/georg...Yi6xa6pdSWeXO/

High school graduation rate in Georgia is below the national average. The best schools in Georgia (public schools) are in affluent areas.

I would also say many kids often have hopeless outlooks when it comes to education. When the parents (or legal guardian in some cases) are not pushing and encouraging the kid to finish school, how is the kid going to perceive school?

With those kids in Vietnam, Nigeria,etc, they are being taught from day one "you must get smart so that you'll get alot of money later in life". In many poor areas in the USA, there is often an attitude of hopelessness. And in America, pop culture has a bigger hold on many people. The guy who raps about being a thug get more popularity (not just in the ghetto, but all over America) than the guy who is a famous scientist. More people know who Lil Wayne is than Dr. Ben Carson.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:08 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
7/11

3 of the 4 I got wrong, my second choice was the correct answer.

It doesn't take into account memory or how long you've been out of school- Admittedly, I'm the type to forget certain things if I don't brush up on it every now and then.

On the other hand, I think everyone should have at least answered correctly the question about which city (Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles) showing the most variance in temperature changes. The graph they provided is a dead giveaway.
Interestingly enough that question is somewhat faulty.

Quote:
These graphs show the monthly precipitation and average temperature for three cities in the United States over the course of one year. Based on the graphs, which city has the greatest annual range of temperatures?
They should have phrased it as greatest average annual range of temperatures to remain consistent with their first sentence.

The way they phrased it indicates looking at one specific year if you're being a stickler, IMO. Annual means once per year. Not an average. It is impossible to ascertain that answer from the given information. It made it sound like they wanted a calendar year to exam. For example (and I'm making this up)...

2018 extremes
Chicago: H 99 (July 8) L -10 (Jan 24) - 109 degrees
New York: H 101 (July 15) L 3 (Feb 12) - 98 degrees
Los Angeles: H 102 (June 30) L 39 - 63 degrees

I knew what they meant though. They wanted the average. It's CHI then NY then LA. I would surmise in most years CHI has the greatest single range of temperatures but have no doubt that NY has overthrown the Windy City in that department a few times. LA's climate, of course, doesn't produce enough variation to even compete.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:22 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
It's only 11 questions long. How do you know what the questions are until you have taken the test?

The are no questions any more difficult than any others. It's a test of scientific knowledge combined with reasoning.

Curious that you wouldn't interested to take the test. It only takes a few minutes.

Firstly, the OP gave the question that seemed to stump most testers in his original post. I found it simple.

Secondly, the OP made references to the test and race. My taking the test is simply an anecdote. It does not prove or disprove the racial claims concerning the test.

Finally, I have taken IQ test and scored in the 130's each time. I don't see what taking this test will offer me.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:00 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Interestingly enough that question is somewhat faulty.

They should have phrased it asgreatest average annual range of temperatures to remain consistent with their first sentence.

The way they phrased it indicates looking at one specific year if you're being a stickler, IMO. Annual means once per year. Not an average. It is impossible to ascertain that answer from the given information. It made it sound like they wanted a calendar year to exam. For example (and I'm making this up)...

2018 extremes
Chicago: H 99 (July 8) L -10 (Jan 24) - 109 degrees
New York: H 101 (July 15) L 3 (Feb 12) - 98 degrees
Los Angeles: H 102 (June 30) L 39 - 63 degrees

I knew what they meant though. They wanted the average. It's CHI then NY then LA. I would surmise in most years CHI has the greatest single range of temperatures but have no doubt that NY has overthrown the Windy City in that department a few times. LA's climate, of course, doesn't produce enough variation to even compete.

They want the range.

Quote:
These graphs show the monthly precipitation and average temperature for three cities in the United States over the course of one year. Based on the graphs, which city has the greatest annual range of temperatures?
There's nothing wrong with the question. It's clear what they are asking. The question is asking for the greatest range of temperatures ie the greatest difference between the lowest to the highest temperature over the course of a year.

Quote:
These graphs show the monthly precipitation and average temperature for three cities in the United States over the course of one year.
The statement is telling you that you are looking the average monthly temperatures over the course of one year. They are looking at one year.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:05 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Firstly, the OP gave the question that seemed to stump most testers in his original post. I found it simple.
Just because you find one question simple, that does not mean you would necessarily find the other questions simple. The questions are on all sorts of topics such as disease, deforestation, antibiotics etc.

Quote:
Secondly, the OP made references to the test and race. My taking the test is simply an anecdote. It does not prove or disprove the racial claims concerning the test.

Finally, I have taken IQ test and scored in the 130's each time. I don't see what taking this test will offer me.
Curiosity?
I don't know, it's up to you whether you take the test or not.
It's just odd to me that the test is there, it's free so why wouldn't you? Most people have at least a vague curiosity about these things.

Anyway, as I said, up to you.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:13 PM

26,494 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
In my state, I've also noticed even some of the schools with all of the resources are now not doing too well in test scores, since I've been out of high school.
Inner city Detroit has more total spending per pupil than the typical well-to-do suburbs. Many countries that outperform the US get less total funding than us too.

Great culture beats better financing in academia, in business, and in life the vast majority of the time.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:16 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
11/11

Anybody educated in the US who doesn't get at least a score of 10 should seriously consider the possibility of a learning disability. I'm not being snarky. I'm genuinely alarmed that these grade 3 level questions would trip any adult up. Not only would people's lives improve on an individual level if they sought help for their learning disabilities, societal progress and well-being would skyrocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies