Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 06:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I don’t know how widespread the anti-statue contingent is at the university. And I don’t know how the administration is handling the issue.
Too bad there is not a STATUE of limitations for stupidity among the SJW crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 06:05 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I can understand the problem many have with a statue to someone that believed they had the right to own their ancestors.

Jefferson did some really positive things. In context of history, he did some pretty lousy things also. I bet many things we accept today will be considered wrong and I would hope that many could see history in that context but all the same........
But all the same...what? It’s just fine to demand removal of a statue of one of the founders of this country because some people are offended? Are they going to demand the removal of all statues then? Because most famous people of the past were jerks in some form or fashion. Imagine Italy removing all their art, or Egypt removing all their monuments and pyramids.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:23 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
But all the same...what? It’s just fine to demand removal of a statue of one of the founders of this country because some people are offended? Are they going to demand the removal of all statues then? Because most famous people of the past were jerks in some form or fashion. Imagine Italy removing all their art, or Egypt removing all their monuments and pyramids.
Most famous people of today are jerks in some form or fashion. Most people are jerks in one way or another. Especially these college students who want to erase American history.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:34 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What I said had nothing to do with logic but fact. That you are not able to comprehend why this would make others uncomfortable is logic I can't understand.

Again, I did not argue to remove it. I argued to have a bit of understanding for others.

You can hear whatever you want I guess as you aren't hearing what I said, obviously.
I really don’t understand why a statue of a man who died nearly 200 years ago makes anyone uncomfortable.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:05 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
They finally moved it.

Thomas Jefferson statue at Hofstra relocated to college museum

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...tra-1.46045690

What's next?

Old 07-16-2020, 07:20 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Next to go--anything named for George Washington. Or Christopher Columbus. So Washington, District of Columbia would be a twofer. Then Washington State, Columbia River, George Washington Bridge, Columbia University, George Washington University, Columbus Ohio, etc., etc., etc.
Pathetic, radical leftist thought. How about this? NO!

Old 07-16-2020, 07:53 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Next to go--anything named for George Washington. Or Christopher Columbus. So Washington, District of Columbia would be a twofer. Then Washington State, Columbia River, George Washington Bridge, Columbia University, George Washington University, Columbus Ohio, etc., etc., etc.
The city of Seattle is named after a slave owner.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:59 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Can you believe it one of greatest Americans this country has ever produced. And now these liberal snow flake morons are desecrating his statue.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/students-...ue-over-racism
Thomas Jefferson wanted to abolish slavery at the formation of the United States. He was objected to by North and South Carolina who would not sign off. As president, in 1807 Jefferson signed a law abolishing the slave trade, people were no longer legally allowed to be traded because of him

Old 07-16-2020, 08:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Nothing these pampered snow flakes do surprises me anymore. History is history and nothing can ever change that.

"Who knows only his own generation remains always a child."
Marcus Tullius Cicero, translation by Dr. George Norlin

Old 07-16-2020, 08:23 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I really don’t understand why a statue of a man who died nearly 200 years ago makes anyone uncomfortable.

I guess he can't possibly be dead enough for them. They have to kill him again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies