Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:57 PM

154 posts, read 197,602 times

Advertisements

I guess most people have heard of Greta Thunberg, the 16 year old Swedish kid who wants the politicians to do more for the environment through organised school strikes. I am an environmentalist. I have completed 4 years of university studying environmental science. So, I definitely do care about the environment and our planet and I consider climate change a huge issue. But, I still don’t understand. What is it really that the kids want our politicians to do?

Now living in Australia and seeing these school strikes it almost makes me laugh. Kids who fly abroad all the time, take the car everywhere, eat imported foods, use imported clothes, have parents in the mining industry and eat the second most meat in the world (after the US). Australians have the world’s worst carbon footprint per capita and they want the politicians to do more hey. They want taxes on fuel, so that their parents can’t drive them to school? They want taxes on meat, so that they have to eat more vegetarian? They want taxes on flying, so that they can’t go to Bali every year? What exactly is it that the kids want?

The way I see it is; they don’t want to give up anything but is it modern and progressive to be “anti -climate change”, so they blame it all on the politicians. They don’t want to take responsibility themselves. But, if a politician would actually want to do something that would make a difference, he would never be elected. So, what the f*ck is it all about?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 09:10 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,987,368 times
Same purpose as all the high school protests against war in the 60's. Young people like to express themselves.

It has been proven that protests, public outcry, etc. have impact on some issues.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:13 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,841,019 times
It's more likely indulging in childish behavior... There protests and then there are tantrums... In recent history they have been mostly tantrums...

Old 04-03-2019, 09:27 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,987,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It's more likely indulging in childish behavior... There protests and then there are tantrums... In recent history they have been mostly tantrums...
Because you don't support the cause.

There were no tantrums -- there were protests to bring awareness to the cause.

But if you don't support the cause -- they are unruly kids....blah blah blah.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:31 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Same purpose as all the high school protests against war in the 60's. Young people like to express themselves.

It has been proven that protests, public outcry, etc. have impact on some issues.

..'express themselves' my azz...lol...when i was in high school (60's) we went to all the protests, sit ins and walk outs, not express ourselves but to meet chicks, get laid, buy or sell assorted drugs...

....of course the joke was on me, two years later i fond myself in south east asia, carrying a gun....

Old 04-03-2019, 10:21 PM

33,520 posts, read 37,113,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Just remember, these kids are going to have to live in the world we leave them, then you should understand.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:39 PM

154 posts, read 197,602 times
Quote:

Yes, I can see the similarity. But, people in the 1960’s wanted the government to end American participation in Vietnam. What does the protesters today want the government to do? More taxes? Less cars, meat, coal, imported goods, travel? I don’t think so.

Quote:
Because you don't support the cause.

There were no tantrums -- there were protests to bring awareness to the cause.

But if you don't support the cause -- they are unruly kids....blah blah blah.

I support the cause, but still don’t understand what they want the governments to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Just remember, these kids are going to have to live in the world we leave them, then you should understand.
Yes, and they are contributing to a better world by lessening their Co2 footprint? No, did not think so.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:31 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,438,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The same world they are messing up just as bad as anyone else is with their energy hungry gadgets and lifestyles, filling of the landfills with throwaway imported junk and polluting the air and environment with their "enlightened" "I want to travel the world" attitudes.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:44 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,648,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
I guess most people have heard of Greta Thunberg, the 16 year old Swedish kid who wants the politicians to do more for the environment through organised school strikes. I am an environmentalist. I have completed 4 years of university studying environmental science. So, I definitely do care about the environment and our planet and I consider climate change a huge issue. But, I still don’t understand. What is it really that the kids want our politicians to do?

Now living in Australia and seeing these school strikes it almost makes me laugh. Kids who fly abroad all the time, take the car everywhere, eat imported foods, use imported clothes, have parents in the mining industry and eat the second most meat in the world (after the US). Australians have the world’s worst carbon footprint per capita and they want the politicians to do more hey. They want taxes on fuel, so that their parents can’t drive them to school? They want taxes on meat, so that they have to eat more vegetarian? They want taxes on flying, so that they can’t go to Bali every year? What exactly is it that the kids want?

The way I see it is; they don’t want to give up anything but is it modern and progressive to be “anti -climate change”, so they blame it all on the politicians. They don’t want to take responsibility themselves. But, if a politician would actually want to do something that would make a difference, he would never be elected. So, what the f*ck is it all about?!

Kids like to raise hell and get out of school. They will grow out of it when they get jobs and have to pay taxes.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:02 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,823,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post

It's a plot devised by working parents to keep the kids
busy under the disguise of giving a rat's arse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies