Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 01:20 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The simple solution is to abolish government schools.

Parents can raise/teach their child as they see fit.
Six pages in this thread and this is the only correct answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 01:20 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
I don't buy your reasoning all.

....and that's fine because I don't expect your emotions will allow you to. It's more telling to me that you just say that you disagree...but don't go into detail or offer a point-counter point refutation.

A lot of people can't buy things....because they can't afford it. The price of acceptance would bankrupt your beliefs.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
How about a level playing field for all, if you can't keep up then you get special attention. Why give blacks special treatment unless they need it?

Because collectively blacks are much worse off in this society than whites.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:24 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This goes hand in hand with Colleges starting to offer segregated Black only dorms, athletic workout rooms, social events and graduations.

From the interviews I've seen, AA's in particular think it's all a bad idea. It apparently is more of an idea of white Liberal Progressives to attract Blacks to their schools and also to make up for much of their white guilt.

Democrats back to their old segregation ways. Next they'll sell the fact they need Black only drinking fountains, restrooms and lunch counters as a positive.

On the bold, mainstream colleges have had black only dorms for decades. It is only in the media today because many campuses were trying to integrate them.

I'll note, that I am black and I don't like all of the complaining from black students at PWIs in the media today. There are many HBCUs for them to attend if they want to have a "safe space" and I always encourage black students to attend HBCUs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Liberals are okay with black racism and self segregation. Remember that event in Savannah where the point of the event was to unite the city's black voters to vote for a single black candidate? I live outside Baton Rouge and the black residents of the city are obsessed about how many blacks (all Democrats) are ok the regional Metro Council vs whites and tried to take advantage of a white council member's death in an accident to get the Democrat governor to appoint a black Democrat. Race is ALWAYS on the mind of Democrats especially black Democrats.

Imagine if there was an event in Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, Miami or San Antonio to unite the minority white voters behind a single white Republican candidate???? And btw white people hardly have a voice in majority black or Hispanic cities. Remember when former New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin wanted a "chocolate city"? What if a white mayor in a mostly white area wanted a "vanilla town"????

The bold is correct. I honestly don't think race is "on the mind" for most white Democrats like it is for black people in America. It really is a big issue. And I'll note that often white Republicans join together to get rid of black Democrats they don't like in the south if they are in split districts. I remember white Republicans switching parties in GA when I was younger to vote in the Democratic Primary so that Democratic candidate Cynthia McKinney wouldn't win that election and subsequently the general election. Whites in Atlanta also highly supported the white candidate when Mary Norwood ran both times. So race is an issue for blacks and whites but I agree with black Democrats they'd rather vote for a black Dem most of the time over a white one in the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Its not only racists white teachers and administrators. Its also with black administrators who just come to work to collect a check, and incompetent black teachers that fail to assist black kids in school. Having a black teacher raise funds for all black kids to see Black Panther movie is not going to help a black child succeed in school academically. As for black schools. Did you ever read about Doctor Umar Johnson. he bought a warehouse in Philadelphia and tends to open up an all black school.

On this - I do know of Umar Johnson. However, I'd trust Umar Johnson to educate a black child more than I would many white teachers I know and Umar IMO is an idiot. I agree incompentence knows no skin color; however when it comes to racial bias white teachers are much more likely to negatively view black children than a black teacher. If a black teacher does, it won't be because of their race (unless they are special and there are special ones like this) but because of their neighborhood, income class, or their parents or other factors. I know that my own child has had black teachers who doesn't like that my daughter is what they call "sassy." She is very confident in herself and IMO many black female teachers often have an issue with "sassy" black girls too. FWIW I've had less issues with my kids from male teachers - black and white than female teachers.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:33 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
If people want a black, white, Asian, Hispanic, muslim, jewish, Christian, etc. only school, those people can start a private school. I do not support taxpayers being required to fund schools that discriminate against children of taxpayers required to fund them.

there are many wealthy americans, religions, and communities who fund private institutions of learning.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:38 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If people want a black, white, Asian, Hispanic, muslim, jewish, Christian, etc. only school, those people can start a private school. I do not support taxpayers being required to fund schools that discriminate against children of taxpayers required to fund them.

there are many wealthy americans, religions, and communities who fund private institutions of learning.

How are they discriminating against children/families? It is a lottery based charter system in question.

They don't have any students but black students because white families don't apply to get in. Are you saying we should force white families to go to these schools?

IMO that is the issue that many whites don't want to speak about in these sorts of discussions - the fact that many whites do not want their children going to a majority black school. These schools should be exempt IMO because they cannot force white families to apply for admission for the lottery.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:43 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
They don't have any students but black students because white families don't apply to get in.
If the school only has black students apply, I agree with you, residinghere.

do white families not apply because of black students in this charter school or for other reasons? personally, my kids are grown but, I would have chosen the most rigorous academic public/charter school available to educate my kids.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 04-04-2019 at 02:20 PM..

Old 04-04-2019, 01:44 PM

If I were to open a school for youth these are the things I would attempt to achieve.

* Dress code

* Learning through play

* Learning through apprenticeship and applying application to theory.

* Financial literacy and the importance of good credit.

* A history where kids can see people that look like them achieving great things

* Boarding schools

Old 04-04-2019, 02:05 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
From what I remember, you don't have any kids. I think that if you had the choice between a integrated, low income, poorly performing school and a high quality 98% black charter school, if you are a responsible black parent, you'd pick the charter school.

Integration was advocated for in the past for very different reasons than what this article is about and many black people today recognize the fact that integration was not all that great for us in the long run in regards to schools because the caring black teachers/administrators were often replaced by white racist teachers/administrators who did/do not look out for our children's best interest based on their racist ideological beliefs (both conscious and unconscious). When you become a parent of black children and if you are conscious (i.e. woke) about what goes on in the public education system in regards to biases against black children - many of which have been exhibited in this thread, then you start to realize that oftentimes black schools are better for black children. Mostly because they will not be subject to racial bias regarding their cognitive abilities or stereotyped as being "bad" or a behavior problem just because they are black. I'll note both my kids go to integrated schools but both are at least 40% black. I wouldn't send my kid to a school that was less than 10% black and I honestly have no problem with white parents choosing not to send their kids to a school either that is less than 10% white for similar reasons as I stated above - those children have a high potential to be treated poorly due to them being a minority and having negative stereotypes placed upon them.

How intergration was/is pursued or implemented is an important factor, and in what context.

With respect to the busing in Boston in the 1970s, many black families there were at best ambivalent about those actions, other than the safety of their children in the face of virulent and violent opposition from white families. One thing they really wanted was more community control over schools in the black community. Busing black students to largely white suburban schools presented the insidious and poisonous implication that the only way to receive a quality education was to go to a white school.

Also, there was a feeling among these black families that the busing program was a means for these already better funded suburban school districts to obtain additional state funding, often at the expense of the black community.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:14 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,590 times
What we need in this country are 70's style army barracks outside of the major cities. The predominantly black and poor inner city schools are dubbed school-to-prison pipelines, okay... so how do we fix that?

If a student is disruptive has anti-social behaviors that results in being placed in a alternative school, the student body of those alternative schools should be placed in a prison system with adult inmates for one week. After that, taken to army camps where they're forced to have structure and to recieve the education they were supposed to be getting in the public school system. The students will live eat and sleep in these camps for a whole school year. Once they've completed this school year, they're offered a choice.

They can opt to go back to the regular school system and back to their families, with no guarantee of what their future holds for them, or they can choose to stay within the army camp system until they've completed their education and have become age eligible to enlist in the army if they so choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies