Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 02:23 PM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree here in the bolded areas. The teachers with me was fair. My biggest problems in school from k-12 was students and not to teachers. I went to a hybrid black/Hispanic/ and small number of poor white kids. Junior High school was mostly Hispanic, and high school was mainly black American and black Caribbean. The students used to be the problem regardless of race thanks to poor parenting at home. A child success in school starts at the home. All of those black kids that I used to go to elementary school with were not raised properly and such poor upbringing brought such kids into the prison system as soon as they become adults. Kids can do well in dysfunctional schools, but its not the teachers, its really the students who make the educational environment worrisome. Teachers and administrators are the problem too. Any parent that has kids might want to do research on schools before they send their kids to such a place.
For the most part, many of my teachers expected alot from me. At the very least, if I was failing a class, my teacher would get on my case about it. The kids, particularly in middle school and high school, were the biggest problems. My middle school was about 95% White when I started, and it was around 85% White by the time I was out of 8th grade. There were plenty of dysfunctional White kids to go around. I soon learned they came from lousy parents. Now, I come from a middle class background. My father is educated. It was highly encouraged for me to read and learn as much as I could by my parents, especially my father. Alot of kids I was around didn't think the same way as me.

I will describe where I lived. Many kids came from the redneck subculture. Many kids were skateboarder types (this was the late 1990s). There were some poor kids in my school. However, there were many middle class kids where I lived. Also, many working class kids. I could tell many kids were only school because they had to be. Many kids didn't care. I'll give you my own neighborhood as an example. My subdivision was built in the mid 1990s. At the time it was one of the newer subdivisions being built. I know several people from my neighborhood, who went to jail at once. One kid who bullied me, he came from a middle class home, like me. That's where the similarities ended. His parents let him run wild. He hung out with the skateboarders. He bullied me, just as the skateboarders did. I found out later that he did time for burglary. White middle class kid. I found out of his skateboard friends teamed up with another kid to rob houses. A white guy and black guy teaming up to commit burglaries.

There were times I thought "my parents brought us out to this quiet area to get away from the crime, and yet, there are criminals living among us". My parents might have felt like "well, the better schools are in majority white areas". As it turns out, it was not the case for our situation. I went to the worst high school in my county. And there were racial tensions (Confederate flag was a hot a button topic in the early 2000s).

There were also plenty of dysfunctional Black students around by the time I got to high school. I got bullied my some of the Black kids too. Being "nerdy", being "lame", well, that made me a target. I found of out of those kids went to jail or didn't do to well in life after high school. One kid went to prison WHILE he was in high school.

My experiences taught me that in many cases, the public school system in general isn't the answer. Parents are a big part of the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 02:26 PM

15,596 posts, read 10,338,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
For the most part, many of my teachers expected alot from me. At the very least, if I was failing a class, my teacher would get on my case about it. The kids, particularly in middle school and high school, were the biggest problems. My middle school was about 95% White when I started, and it was around 85% White by the time I was out of 8th grade. There were plenty of dysfunctional White kids to go around. I soon learned they came from lousy parents. Now, I come from a middle class background. My father is educated. It was highly encouraged for me to read and learn as much as I could by my parents, especially my father. Alot of kids I was around didn't think the same way as me.

I will describe where I lived. Many kids came from the redneck subculture. Many kids were skateboarder types (this was the late 1990s). There were some poor kids in my school. However, there were many middle class kids where I lived. Also, many working class kids. I could tell many kids were only school because they had to be. Many kids didn't care. I'll give you my own neighborhood as an example. My subdivision was built in the mid 1990s. At the time it was one of the newer subdivisions being built. I know several people from my neighborhood, who went to jail at once. One kid who bullied me, he came from a middle class home, like me. That's where the similarities ended. His parents let him run wild. He hung out with the skateboarders. He bullied me, just as the skateboarders did. I found out later that he did time for burglary. White middle class kid. I found out of his skateboard friends teamed up with another kid to rob houses. A white guy and black guy teaming up to commit burglaries.

There were times I thought "my parents brought us out to this quiet area to get away from the crime, and yet, there are criminals living among us". My parents might have felt like "well, the better schools are in majority white areas". As it turns out, it was not the case for our situation. I went to the worst high school in my county. And there were racial tensions (Confederate flag was a hot a button topic in the earl

My experiences taught me that in many cases, the public school system in general isn't the answer. Parents are a big part of the issue.
You've said you have great parents, but you are a long-term unemployed, single, college-educated, young, black man who posts consistently that you are unhappy with how blacks are treated. Maybe your problems belong to you and have nothing to do with being black.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You've said you have great parents, but you are a long-term unemployed, single, college-educated, young, black man who posts consistently that you are unhappy with how blacks are treated. Maybe your problems belong to you and have nothing to do with being black.
Having good parents doesn't negate how Black people are treated in America. My own parents know that. Having good parents won't stop other individuals from perceiving you in a negative way based on race. Having a college diploma won't stop an employer from discriminating. It will open up more options, but there are still issues with discrimination in the country. My own father got laid off a few times in his life, and he has a masters in engineering.

And I'm not unemployed anymore. I'm employed, for now.

And what does any of this have to do with what I posted?

Old 04-04-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Having good parents doesn't negate how Black people are treated in America. My own parents know that. Having good parents won't stop other individuals from perceiving you in a negative way based on race. Having a college diploma won't stop an employer from discriminating. It will open up more options, but there are still issues with discrimination in the country. My own father got laid off a few times in his life, and he has a masters in engineering.

being born to married parents is a privilege: 70% of blacks and 40% of whites don't have married parents. You do.

60% of americans don't have a degree, another privilege you have.

I do not understand people like you who complain and have so much that many americans, or the rest of the world, do not have!

Old 04-04-2019, 03:24 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,090,329 times
Quote:

It's not just black people anymore. People are crazy now with these smartphones, ever since the widespread adoption and advances in digitization/technology, people more than ever are more concerned with a person's appearance moreso than character. Most of the division in this country is the perceived loss of middle class footing in life.

Everything now is about the decadence of luxury. Consumer cars that were once considered economy a decade or two ago, now perceived as luxury in the eyes of many. There is this notion of either rich or not rich, no in betweens anymore, and with that thinking the middle class has truly crumbled. So if you don't appear to be "wealthy" then people are going to treat you differently, if you have a job that they think is too good for you, then you're going to recieve hate for it now more than ever, not just because you're black.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
being born to married parents is a privilege: 70% of blacks and 40% of whites don't have married parents. You do.

60% of americans don't have a degree, another privilege you have.

I do not understand people like you who complain and have so much that many americans, or the rest of the world, do not have!
Having 2 parents definitely helps. It kept me from getting into alot of trouble. Having a degree helps. It still does not stop people from discriminating based on race. Of course you won't understand. You don't have to. I have to. And of course you would call it complaining. You don't like what I have to say. You haven't refuted it. You've also shown that you don't like what I have to say.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:40 PM

2,828 posts, read 820,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Because collectively blacks are much worse off in this society than whites.
No, I believe you are saying blacks in general have a lower IQ and need special attention/education.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:42 PM

29,466 posts, read 16,443,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
One can still be a conservative and still be democrat. I see this all the time when I pass through harlem.
But in the context of this post, party ID does not matter at all. Thats my point and why i said you mentioning party is a moot point.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:48 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,677,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
No, I believe you are saying blacks in general have a lower IQ and need special attention/education.
Classic projecting.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Having 2 parents definitely helps. It kept me from getting into alot of trouble. Having a degree helps. It still does not stop people from discriminating based on race. Of course you won't understand. You don't have to. I have to. And of course you would call it complaining. You don't like what I have to say. You haven't refuted it. You've also shown that you don't like what I have to say.
I don't like what you have to say because you are a privileged, american man who blames racism for your failures. 70% of white men don't have your college education. Are white people privileged for being white or are you privileged for being a college grad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies