Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 06:16 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Healthcare insurance is geographically rated. For example, Florida has 69 regions. The same insurer can offer the same plan to the same demographic at different premiums within a state, dependent upon region.

What determines premium within region includes:

Number and type of claims made

Ratio of beds and healthcare providers vs the local population

Competition amongst insurers within a region.

Insurers have been exiting the Individual Plan Market for more than 25 years and have been doing so primarily because premiums do not cover claims made. For this reason, insurers may exit the market or “ redline” less healthy regions or charge substantially higher premiums in less healthy regions.

If one lives in a zip code with a high number of say auto theft/ vandalism claims, one is going to pay a higher premium than if they lived in a different zip code with lower rates of theft/ vandalism, regardless of personal claim history.

All insurance mutualizes ( socializes) risk exposures.
I remember those years dealing with those plans with a relative with a congenital health issuemainly as a medical professional I saw way too many kids and families priced out or refused the care they needed.we should never go back to those times again.so far any plans promoted by this administration would , hence McClain no ---bless that man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 06:21 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Having said this , I agree that means testing, including assets, makes more sense than just income.

As an aside, There are “ very wealthy” people who live off of secured revolving lines of credit and do so to avoid income taxes.
MY BIL inherited $$ plus their money as a couple is probably worth $4-5 Million. They retired at 58 and their big concern was Insurance (as if they had a problem buying a policy). He may not be "Wealthy" but he's pretty close.

With no income they were able to qualify for a nice subsidized ACA plan. I'm sure they did pick one of the better plans.

Many of my early retired friends have used the ACA as their Subsidized Insurance until Medicare kicks in. It's part of their retirement planning.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:42 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How much in medical bills do you think the average American can afford to pay out of pocket and what would you suppose the average yearly medical bill would be for someone self paying their medical expenses?
I've been without insurance. It's a whole lot less, believe it.

Example: I went to the same urgent care for 2 separate and identical visits (same level of care, same physician seen).

First visit there was something wrong with my insurance card so I had to pay right there without insurance: Cost was $150 without insurance.

Second visit insurance card worked fine. They billed my insurer $450 for the same type of visit and level of service. Of which I had to pay part of course, when my insurance company then billed me. And what I had to pay the insurer was waaaaaay more than the $150 I paid directly to the urgent care facility for the visit WITHOUT insurance coverage.

Tell me again how insurance makes ANY service cheaper?

Here's a tip: Stop relying on your pills. Lose weight. Stop smoking. Don't drink. Lay off the carbs and sugar. Go for a walk every day. Take supplements. I would guess up to 50% of ALL healthcare visits and services would be unnecessary if people took that responsibility.

Healthcare insurance was created to be a SAFETY net. Not an everyday expense. If you live your life that way, you'll be fine. Most don't want that approach and run to the doctor at every sniffle and hiccup. They go home eat a bag of doritos, drink a 2L of soda and watch tv for 6 hours, than complain how much healthcare costs when they have diabetes and high BP.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:44 AM

When Obamacare was fully instituted, my friend's family plan monthly premium went up $400 a MONTH.

Yeh, saved her family a LOT of money. It was through her employer, too.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:46 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
again not true.first of allthe correct term is A.C.A.,
A correction that is irrelevant to Rachel's points.

Quote:
2.rates vary state to state and vary according to plans available (a state problem)

Another irrelevant point for a number of reasons, here are two:

1. Which providers are 'in network' is a different issue than size of premium.

2. People in every state wouldn't have had plans they liked disappear for non market force reasons

Quote:
3.without aca those with preexisting conditions would be refused insurance

Some people think that disrupting what people already had in order to partially rectify that is fine, others think that that unnecessary disruption is a travesty.

Quote:
4.not only is that last sentence false but cruel and disdainful to the working poor
Quote:
How is it false ?

It isn't false.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:46 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

Link:https://www.census.gov/dataviz/visua...-2015_-858.gif

If Trump manages to repeal Obamacare expect the US to go back to the 2009 map again.
Well, 8f their "coverage" was like my "coverage," they couldn't afford to use it. Making this map meaningless.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:53 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I've been without insurance. It's a whole lot less, believe it.

Example: I went to the same urgent care for 2 separate and identical visits (same level of care, same physician seen).

First visit there was something wrong with my insurance card so I had to pay right there without insurance: Cost was $150 without insurance.

Second visit insurance card worked fine. They billed my insurer $450 for the same type of visit and level of service. Of which I had to pay part of course, when my insurance company then billed me. And what I had to pay the insurer was waaaaaay more than the $150 I paid directly to the urgent care facility for the visit WITHOUT insurance coverage.

Tell me again how insurance makes ANY service cheaper?

Here's a tip: Stop relying on your pills. Lose weight. Stop smoking. Don't drink. Lay off the carbs and sugar. Go for a walk every day. Take supplements. I would guess up to 50% of ALL healthcare visits and services would be unnecessary if people took that responsibility.

Healthcare insurance was created to be a SAFETY net. Not an everyday expense. If you live your life that way, you'll be fine. Most don't want that approach and run to the doctor at every sniffle and hiccup. They go home eat a bag of doritos, drink a 2L of soda and watch tv for 6 hours, than complain how much healthcare costs when they have diabetes and high BP.
What do you suppose a medical bill would be for a young healthy individual who broke his femur playing baseball?

How about a young couple who has a baby born with a congenital heart defect that needs surgery to survive?

Then there is cancer...

Old 04-04-2019, 06:59 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,221,095 times
It's a persons choice if they want to buy insurance or not. NO GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIES!!

Old 04-04-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
What do you suppose a medical bill would be for a young healthy individual who broke his femur playing baseball?

How about a young couple who has a baby born with a congenital heart defect that needs surgery to survive?

Then there is cancer...
Those are safety net applications, as I clearly stated. NOT everyday healthcare.

And I would guess that most people would have to pay the deductible upfront, which means that they would be paying 100% for the cost of setting that broken arm.

I also know a couple who had a preemie that was in the NICU for a month, and AFTER insurance? They owed $240,000.

As I ALSO clearly stated, just because you can wave that insurance card around? Doesn't mean insurance is going to actually PAY FOR ANYTHING.

It's smoke and mirrors.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:01 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Didn't Obamacare make it mandatory that any employer with over 50 employees must provide health insurance? +1 Obamacare/ 0 trumpcare.

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/res...re-act-mandate

middle-aged mom would probably know if my understanding is correct or not, and whether or not the rule you quote above (the link) has gone by the wayside, but it is my understanding that the change in the tax bill ('Trumpcare') doesn't actually technically eliminate the mandate, it just reduces the penalty to zero, which may not effectively be the same thing in every situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies