Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 01:51 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You would agree or disagree there is a responsibility if your actions are going to endanger others?

Let's suppose for moment that the NYT is given a list of every US spy on the planet. Should they publish that list? Not only would their actions be severely detrimental to US intelligence efforts possibly resulting in things like terrorists attacks the people on that list itself would be in enormous danger.
How do you think the majority of people even found out about anything on Wikileaks? The media talked about it, talked about what was in the leaks, talked about all of it. So, if Assange is guilty of publishing these leaks, how is the mainstream media also not complicit in publishing what was in the leaks? If it's all so classified, the media should not have said anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,176 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
iI don't think Assange will be facing the death penalty in the US.

In terms of UK Law, it's Article 2 of the Europan Covention on Human Rights in relation to the 'Right to Life' that stops the UK being able to deport anyone facing the death penalty.

The European Covention on Human Rights is a seperate organisation to the EU and Brexit will not effect Britain's membership as a signatory country, and ECHR Law is enshrined in to British Law.

Article 2 of the European Convention on Human Rights - Wikipedia

Old 04-05-2019, 06:03 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Meh, I've been hearing rumors about his being booted from the embassy for years now. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
In my opinion, Manning being free nullifies every argument the US has against Assange.

Manning is imprisoned at the moment for contempt of court for refusing to testify before a Grand Jury. I would venture to guess he does not want to expose Assange's actions or perjure himself.

Manning has been found guilty of crime and that record stands, Obama only commuted the sentence.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:41 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Meh, I've been hearing rumors about his being booted from the embassy for years now. I'll believe it when I see it.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm also guessing that the Trump administration is probably trying to make a deal behind the scenes for Ecuador to keep Assange at the embassy. I really don't think they want to extradite him to the US, not right now, anyway. Pompeo may want Assange in the US, but no way Trump wants that headache. Well, that's gonna cost Washington some coin, because they may agree to keep him, but for a (cough) fee.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
iI don't think Assange will be facing the death penalty in the US.

The Federal government executes very few people. 3 of them since 1963, one of them was McVeigh. Looks like the next one will be Tsarnaev. If Assange is tried in the US he will likely end up at ADX Florence where he will join others convicted of espionage, terrorism, mob bosses, Kaczynski and Tsarnaev. He'll stare at four walls for the rest of his life with almost no human contact, even when he goes to exercise yard he may get lucky and see a bird fly over. It's a punishment worse than death for many, it's nearly complete isolation.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Manning is imprisoned at the moment for contempt of court for refusing to testify before a Grand Jury. I would venture to guess he does not want to expose Assange's actions or perjure himself.

Manning has been found guilty of crime and that record stands, Obama only commuted the sentence.
Manning is in jail on charges not related to his previous crime. Manning is free, the US via Obama set him free. That in my opinion negates every single thing the US has against Assange. If Assange "crimes" were so serious, Manning would still be in prison. If the US does not think much of it, giving only seven years to manning, then I guess it was not too serious of an issue anyway.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Manning is free, the US via Obama set him free.

It's a commutation and does absolve him of his crimes, it certainly does not absolve someone else of crimes.

Quote:
If the US does not think much of it,

He was sentenced to 35 years by a court of law. In what is rare circumstance Obama used his Presidential powers to commute the sentence. This does not negate the seriousness of the crimes nor sentence handed out. It'a only because of the intervention of the single person on earth that could set him free that he is free.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:52 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Assange now in UK police custody.

https://twitter.com/mikefarb1/status...76997326548992

Old 04-11-2019, 04:03 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,176 posts, read 13,461,836 times

The UK only wants Assage for breaking bail, the US will need to apply for extradition, and then it will go before the Courts, however the UK is a close ally and likely to grant extradition.

Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London - BBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies