Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 03:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Being a nerd from way back, I was reading this article on one of the smartest human being on the planet:
https://www.linuxjournal.com/content...linus-torvalds

And was struck by his comments on Social Media....which I and many of my peers (who were early pioneers of Bulletin Boards, Forums, etc.) share.....

But coming from him it may hold a bit more weight.....

"Bob: If you had to fix one thing about the networked world, what would it be?

Linus: Nothing technical. But, I absolutely detest modern "social media"—Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. It's a disease. It seems to encourage bad behavior.

I think part of it is something that email shares too, and that I've said before: "On the internet, nobody can hear you being subtle". When you're not talking to somebody face to face, and you miss all the normal social cues, it's easy to miss humor and sarcasm, but it's also very easy to overlook the reaction of the recipient, so you get things like flame wars, etc., that might not happen as easily with face-to-face interaction.

But email still works. You still have to put in the effort to write it, and there's generally some actual content (technical or otherwise). The whole "liking" and "sharing" model is just garbage. There is no effort and no quality control. In fact, it's all geared to the reverse of quality control, with lowest common denominator targets, and click-bait, and things designed to generate an emotional response, often one of moral outrage.

Add in anonymity, and it's just disgusting. When you don't even put your real name on your garbage (or the garbage you share or like), it really doesn't help.

I'm actually one of those people who thinks that anonymity is overrated. Some people confuse privacy and anonymity and think they go hand in hand, and that protecting privacy means that you need to protect anonymity. I think that's wrong. Anonymity is important if you're a whistle-blower, but if you cannot prove your identity, your crazy rant on some social-media platform shouldn't be visible, and you shouldn't be able to share it or like it.

Oh well. Rant over. I'm not on any social media (I tried G+ for a while, because the people on it weren't the mindless usual stuff, but it obviously never went anywhere), but it still annoys me."

-----------end quoted material--------------------

Some of my friends, who started The Well (the first "internet" full-spectrum Bulletin Board) had long ago came up with the same basic framework and opinions. That is, unless one "owns their own words", a decent conversation can be difficult.

The problem was always evident but was kept in some check because the number of people on the network was somewhat limited and required, at minimum, some education (to even get online!).

But when "anyone could do it" the mess really got out of hand...and this largely continues.

Agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 03:32 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Bwahahaha.

Read Torvalds behavior in email or mailing lists sometime. He is the LAST guy to say anything about bad behavior. And while he is a genius in some things...social interations are not his area of expertise.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:17 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
He's not someone that people hear from often.

I think anonymity is very, very important. And when you see someone as vindictive as Trump, that proves it even more.

It's true that things are getting out of hand. But I wonder if that is mostly due to anonymity, or mostly due to people wanting to parade in public? What if there were either different laws or different intermediaries?

Old 04-05-2019, 10:22 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And while he is a genius in some things...social interations are not his area of expertise.
Um, he maintains one of the biggest, most critical, and most contributed open source projects in the world. Yes, it's not the same as taking photos at a bar and posting them for likes and whatnot... but it's as socially complex as any form of social engagement can be.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I detest all of this that has proven to be so popular.' It's nasty all of it...but if I had invented it -- maybe I would think differently.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I think social media is great. I do not engage in it at all past this and a couple subject specific forums.

Yea, some people are complete idiots and this shows on social media, whereas 30 years ago, only people who knew them would have known about it. Yes, it has allowed an easy, absurdly easy way for people to flaunt whatever it is they are doing, like all these ridiculous "Instagram models". But yea, I remember in the 80's plenty of girls rolling around with the model tag, because they had some try out for a Sears catalog shoot, lol.

I realized though just how toxic of an environment it could be though back in the AOL chat days. AOL chat went from being fun and engaging, to toxic and filled with nothing but spam.

The only thing that irks me about social media is the legitimacy given to it. One person tweets about being offended, all of a sudden some knee jerk reaction is taken. Many news stories are now nothing more than tweets and reactions via tweets. How many "likes" something gets is some how used to measure the strength of an idea, story, etc.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:40 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Linus is right. I think anonymity is the bigger problem, no accountability.

you know what a BBS was? QuantumLink was before CompuServe.

calling a BBS at 300bps(which we then incorrectly called "baud") was awesome as I could type faster than the modem could send at times.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:08 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Um, he maintains one of the biggest, most critical, and most contributed open source projects in the world. Yes, it's not the same as taking photos at a bar and posting them for likes and whatnot... but it's as socially complex as any form of social engagement can be.
LOL. Your response shows you arent part of that effort, and haven't read how well he handles it. He has cost the community multiple contributors. And while some needed to go, others very clearly did not. He can be extremely unpleasant.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:35 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Bwahahaha.

Read Torvalds behavior in email or mailing lists sometime. He is the LAST guy to say anything about bad behavior. And while he is a genius in some things...social interations are not his area of expertise.
Lol, for once we agree.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:57 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Unless he developed a disdain for social media after developing or co-developing Android, it does some a bit ironic, contradictory, or hypocritical to have a social media disdain seeing as how Android is a popular platform for using social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies