Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 09:30 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times

Advertisements

I'm neither right nor left. I agree with conservatives that our immigration system needs to be fixed. I agree with liberals that the war on drugs needs to end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 09:36 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Die hard conservative. I only agree when the policy is about getting the Feds out of our lives. Legalize marijuana is one of the few policies when the left is for less government. I agree with the right when they want to reduce regulations. Both parties are for big government.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:38 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Name one thing you agree with "the other side" .
Leave me alone....

Oh wait.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:44 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times
After watching the interview with Abby Johnson, whose life the movie Unplanned is about, I agree with the left that going to abortion clinics and screaming out murderer is not the way to deal with this.
I never did that but didn't see why it wasn't okay to do.

It doesn't change these women's minds or offer them an alternative solution. It creates the illusion that the abortion clinic is their refuge from these protestors. Offering them help is what will hopefully give them a different perspective on how to deal with their situation.

Abby says she really believed she was helping these women
by encouraging them to abort. I would have never believed that. She realized later that she wasn't.

I honestly thought all women knew they were committing murder, didn't give a s**t and wanted to kill their babies.
I do still believe that there are selfish women who do so, but I also realize that there are women who truly believe it is just a mass of cells, that it isn't a baby, feel that is their only solution, and some are devastated when they get their abortion.

I realize that these women need kindness and offers of assistance and support to give birth to their babies and either raise them or put them up for adoption. This has to be a long time commitment and they have to know that they are not alone. Some will be determined to abort, but there might be some who feel like they have true choice.
I believe that both sides have something to learn from this movie.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:06 AM

1,406 posts, read 801,054 times
I am a libertarian with conservative leanings, but I believe man made climate change is a thing that exists and regulations need to be in place to protect the environment, even if it has a negative effect on the economy.

I also believe in greater protections for the well-being and humane treatment of animals. All animals, companion, farm/agriculture, and wild. I especially believe the conditions and treatment most farm animals endure is horrible and disgusting, and much greater regulation and oversight should be in place. I think this puts me at odds with most farmers and hunters, who usually lean conservative. (I do believe hunting is a necessary part of wildlife management and also necessary for many people's ability to provide for themselves, but I think government has been too quick to drop protections for some species at times).

Old 04-07-2019, 10:07 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
The only two sides are libertarian and authoritarian.

Since authoritarians want to control my life I have little to nothing in common with them. I do and will associate with them in real life, however.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:08 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Conservative. The US is a great country to to be a citizen of and that pot and prostitution should be legalized and regulated like any other so-called vice.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:08 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Anarchist.

I agree with statists that pizza is fantastic.
#MeToo on both.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
The purpose of this thread is to take a step back and state one or more things you agree with the other side or do/don't do that is contradictory to your side of the political spectrum. I would prefer that this is a non-debate thread. This thread should show that we on either side don't belong to the borg collective. And please no sniping.

I'll start.

Liberal here. I agree with Mike Pence regarding not spending time alone with a woman other than his wife. In my case, it is not for religious reason. I simply want to avoid any misunderstanding at all. Even in the gym. If I see a woman alone in the stretching room, I will go stretch somewhere else.
More people self- identify as non- affiliated/ Independent than either Republican or Democrat and the percentage grows each year. Many switch teams during a primary. Means nothing.

There are endless brands within the Republican, Democrat and Libertarian parties. No shortage of BIG MONEY supporting all the different tribes. Movements within each party come and go, over time.

Politicians and the media that feeds off them, blame throw, slander the opposition and make empty promises.
They spend massive sums of money on experts who choose the words/ terms and messaging to appeal to a base.

I am politically agnostic and have never voted a straight ticket.

As an aside, my husband, life long straight ticket Democrat, avoids being alone with anyone outside the family.

Observant Jews tend to avoid being alone with members of the opposite sex or physical contact. They tend to be masters of the “ air hug” .. .nothing new or political about it.

That you and Pence avoid being alone with women has nothing to do with politics.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:10 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Another conservative that believes the war on drugs has been an unmitigated failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies