Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 08:45 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times

Advertisements

I totally get how he feels, it's never fun to be treated like that in front of your own property.

However, he should simply have complied with the police officer until they totally cleared his name. Which means, if the officer tells you to sit down, then comply rather than escalate the situation. If he wants to complain after the fact, fine, but why risk escalating the situation at the time for the sake of some 'principles?' All that does these days is potentially get you killed.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...e-drew-guns-on

Quote:
An African-American man in Boulder, Colorado, said several officers drew their guns on him and demanded his identification while he was picking up trash in front of his house.

According to ABC News, Zayd Atkinson, 26, was holding a metal trash picker and a bucket when a Boulder police officer ordered him to hand over his identification. After he complied, the officer refused to believe that he lived at the residence and ordered him to sit on the curb, Atkinson said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 09:00 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
It's a good thing he wasn't holding a puppy. The cop would have blown both of them away.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:45 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,361,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I totally get how he feels, it's never fun to be treated like that in front of your own property.

However, he should simply have complied with the police officer until they totally cleared his name. Which means, if the officer tells you to sit down, then comply rather than escalate the situation. If he wants to complain after the fact, fine, but why risk escalating the situation at the time for the sake of some 'principles?' All that does these days is potentially get you killed.

I find that story hard to believe, but if it's accurate I totally disagree with you. It is not true that the "should have" complied, because that implies it was the morally right thing to do rather than the wise thing to do.

It's terrible to think about it, but those left-wingers in places like Boulder hate black people as much as they hate white people.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:48 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drungus View Post
One thing I'm sure of: There's more to this story.
Not a whole bunch more.

The video/audo of the guy being approached for picking up trash has been airing since it happened.

Definitely the cops were out of line.....again.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:56 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
NSFW: Language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3YLD9Hb61Q

Old 04-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,111,637 times
If he werent “AA”, and they simply just shot him, would anybody really care?

Old 04-07-2019, 10:22 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,361,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Those cops committed assault with a deadly weapon. These retards go a million miles overboard so that they leave themselves no way to exit gracefully and have to stand there forever or shoot. Worst cops ever. Do any of them speak English?

Old 04-07-2019, 10:44 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drungus View Post
One thing I'm sure of: There's more to this story.
As am I..The police were profiling an innocent AA man...

Old 04-07-2019, 10:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

why should he comply with illegal orders? those cop roaches had absolutely NO reason to bother him what so ever, and the demand for ID when he was doing nothing wrong is a violation of the fourth amendment. those cop roaches need to be fired, brought up n criminal charges, and SUED.

remember that a violation of your civil rights by cops is not just a civil matter, but a CRIMINAL one as well. violations of your civil rights are FEDERAL crimes, and can be felonies, meaning those cop roaches can be prosecuted and if found guilty be sent to jail, as well as losing their jobs.

and there is a case in front on the supreme now regarding the qualified immunity that cop roaches enjoy when they are on the job. depending n the ruling when it comes down, it would mean that when a police officer breaks the law in the performance of their duties, they can be held PERSONALLY responsible for damages, both compensatory and punitive. and i hope the court rules as such, because that would mean that cops will have to do their jobs right from now on, or face civil litigation, as well as criminal prosecution.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:06 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
As am I..The police were profiling an innocent AA man...
Not sure this was an issue of profiling, although I can not disprove it either. All I can say is that I have witnessed similar incidents (2 to be exact) where things went haywire because cops have been called to a scene where there is no actual problem, and in both those situations the people who ended up basically being harassed (and tased in one case) were white. In these situations, as we can plainly see in this video, the police become the aggressors, and create a problem where one did not previously exist. And since police are basically trained that we, the people, who they are supposed to protect and serve, must do anything they instruct us to do without question, incidents like this occur. Police need to be reminded that they are PUBLIC SERVANTS. They are not here to be our masters, they are here to serve us. In the past I have spoken up for police when they have been wrongly accused of bad behavior. However, I will also stand with victims of police abuse/brutality when there is evidence of wrong doing. I will not blindly support law enforcement. No one should. There are many wonderful people out there behind the badge, trying their best every day to protect us and do their duty. But we must also be critical when those who are there to protect and serve us do not perform their job in a civil and moral manner. This man did not deserve the treatment he received from these officers, and they should suffer some consequence for their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies