Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Right-to-Work?
Yes 64 56.14%
No 50 43.86%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 06:44 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

Right to work really means no rights at all in the workplace. Let's say your employer is making you work in unsafe conditions, or they ask you to break laws for their financial gain. What do you think happens when you speak up? You're fired. I've been in that situation. It's also no coincidence that worker pay is on average far lower in right to work states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 06:46 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Right to work really means no rights at all in the workplace. Let's say your employer is making you work in unsafe conditions. or they ask you to break laws for their financial gain. What do you think happens when you speak up? You're fired. I've been in that situation. It's also no coincidence that worker pay is on average far lower in right to work states.
You have right to ask for safety improvements, quit or not take a dangerous job in the first place. You do not have a right to a job or someone elses money. No laws needed.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You have right to ask for safety improvements, quit or not take a dangerous job in the first place. You do not have a right to a job or someone elses money. No laws needed.
Actually there are laws about workplace safety and my employer was violating them. What you believe we have a right to in the workplace is merely your own extremist opinion. The law is clear. If a business owner doesn't want to follow laws, provide reasonably compensation, etc., they're free not to employ anyone and to do the work themselves.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:51 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Actually there are laws about workplace safety and my employer was violating them. What you believe we have a right to in the workplace is merely your own extremist opinion. The law is clear. If a business owner doesn't want to follow laws, provide reasonably compensation, etc., they're free not to employ anyone and to do the work themselves.
Eh, sour grapes,sounds like you weren't really a valued employee.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Eh, sour grapes,sounds like you weren't really a valued employee.
My employer was a private forestry firm that wanted me to help them steal thousands of dollars worth of timber from abutting properties. That is a serious felony. I hope they didn't value me because I don't want to be valued by a thief.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:11 AM

2,923 posts, read 977,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
didn't read the link did you? Good example of what happens when you "trust" a corporation to "do the right thing" for its employees...……..
How would I know it happened in India if I didn't read it?

Old 04-10-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
equal footing? probably not... A company will survive without a CEO...……...A dedicated sufficient work force...……….probably not...…...
that's for the owners to decide....the inmates don't get to run the asylum

Old 04-10-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Unions are leeches - only operate by sucking other ppl's money (usually by force). If they were so wonderful, there'd be a line out the door to join!

I've always wondered, if unions are so good at 'running businesses' - why don't they open and operate a few of their own?

Unions could 'get a clue' and offer more association benefits, but they don't have to 'compete' for membership (and so that does not compute -- pre-Janus) so they don't - and I don't want to give them any help (ie, clues).

Maybe they'll rise to the occasion one day. Until then, bye-bye!
Exactly someone else takes all the risk of starting a business and then the union wants to come in and run things. that's not the way it should work. If a company wants to let its labor force unionize, that is fine by me. But they shouldn't be forced by law to deal with a union.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:21 AM

13,949 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
No. Govt should be entirely out of both sides of the employment picture.
If a co. wishes to voluntarily respect a closed shop or any union contract its up to them. On the flipside, no company should be forced to bargain with a union against its wishes.
This

All associations should be voluntary and free from any form of coercion. Employers and employees are simply parties in a voluntary association we call "job." Let every employer and employee be free to associate if they wish and under whatever terms they find mutually acceptable.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
Exactly someone else takes all the risk of starting a business and then the union wants to come in and run things. that's not the way it should work. If a company wants to let its labor force unionize, that is fine by me. But they shouldn't be forced by law to deal with a union.
If they needed employees to make the business successful, then they sure didn't do everything themselves and are not entitled to treat their employees like slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies